Notices

Jumpy car problem

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumpy car problem

I've had my Lancer for 2 months now. And I've got tranny problems. When the engine is cold, and I wan't to start from a stop doing a right hand turn, the car often jump (only the inside wheel seems to do that). Like the clutch would'nt wan't to slip or something. But it only does that when the engine is cold.

Also, my clutch pedal feels really hard, but only until I've passed the friction point. I've been driving lots of different cars in my life, (I used to be a parking valet) and never I drove a car with a clutch that hard.

My friend keeps telling me I have some kind of upgraded clutch (but he drives an Honduh so he doesn't know sh*t about cars or he wouldn't be driving one), but when I got the car, the hood hinges were almost rusted in place, like the hood had never been opened or not in a long time. I bought the car completely stock. Who would change the clutch to an upgraded unit, without touching anything else in the car? Also the car only has 110 000kms on it, isn't that a little bit early for a clutch change?

I need help, has anyone had that problem before me? Any help would be welcome!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You sure thats not wheel hop your feeling?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our cars get clutch chatter very bad in the winter. Not sure why you clutch is so hard. The stock clutch is pretty wimpy.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LeftysRule22
You sure thats not wheel hop your feeling?
It even happens in low rpms start, i dont think the car would try to overpower the wheels at these low rpms... (below 2k)
Old Nov 2, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
your tranny is on its way out it happen to me, look for any oil splash on the fire wall or tranny and if you do your tranny hauseing is broken.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

its clutch chatter, not wheel hop. when the clutch is cold it also chatters quite a bit on my car. after it's warmed up its not a problem.

about the clutch pedal, maybe your friend is right, and you have a 3rd party clutch installed.
I dont find the clutch pedal hard at all on our cars. My friend drives an 08 Tibby and his clutch pedal is way too soft. I find the ones in the ralliart just perfect.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by biglou360
your tranny is on its way out it happen to me, look for any oil splash on the fire wall or tranny and if you do your tranny hauseing is broken.
God you did a good job of scaring the **** out of me. But it's not what is going on with my car. I already had this problem with a previous car and it seemed like a had square wheels on, the problem with my RA is a little less extreme.

My clutch is so hard that my left leg got bigger than my right, and it's visible!

I was used to my Crapalier before jumping in the Lancer, maybe it's only me. You could cough in the clutch's general direction and the clutch pedal would depress by itself. It was that bad.

I'm thinking that clutch chatter could be right, I'll try filling my mounts with urethane in the near future.

Also, what would be a normal mileage to do a clutch change?

Last edited by xmaster19; Nov 3, 2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

if properly driven, the clutch can last the lifetime of the car.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry but i was only warning you