Notices

06 Lancer Ralliart worth modding?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 03:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a WRX far exceeds it in aftermarket support and performance for a very comparable price.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think a mk3 supra or a srt4 even the cobalt ss supercharged or the ionredline would exceed the ralliart for around the same price the mk3 supra would cost the least and has the most aftermarket support the only thing is i think the ra has the best reliability compared to these other cars in terms of maintenance and repairs but the engines of the supra and srt4 can definately hold more power. it would have been nice if mitsubishi had made the 04-05 ra sohc with a factory turbo option and the 06 dohc turbo just because it is so much easier to get power out of a turboed car than it is an n/a car i honestly have love for my ra but its just not as fun as when i first got it i guess im just used to the power and its time to upgrade. I just want that pull that shoves you into your seats.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:36 PM

Its not a terrible car and i love the simplicity of it no buttons on the steering wheel no big cd player and not many luxuries but its not exactly a torque monster, maybe compared to a civic or rsx, and the car that has replaced it isnt even comparable, and still to get good handling you have to mod it, the extra money could have just bought you a better car, my ralliart was 27000 new ive seen the new one at the dealer for 32000, ive spent well over that difference to have a car not as good, it just costs so much to get small gains from and and there is the point that aftermarket support is very small, youd have better luck finding parts for a skoda rapid, the front wheel drive just kills the car if only it came in awd then it would be totally worth tuning, but now you can get an 06 evo or wrx for less than you paid originally for the car, black ralliart is right the car is just not as fun as it used to be
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:56 PM

^^ what he said about the FWD.

I am all new to the ralliart, owning mine for about 1 month now. Up to now this car is pretty fun to drive (100% stock for now), but honestly the fwd is killing this car if you want to go big power.

My last car was a Turbo-4wd-330whp-lightweight-rocket. Evo I converted to Evo 3. I also previously owned a 2004 Mazda3 witch I modded N/A route too. And from my past experience I am not going to build/mod a FWD car to more then about 200 whp.

IMHO, high powered sports car (250whp and over) have to be AWD or RWD. That said, I think the ralliart could be a great track car with upgraded suspensions and brakes and with some N/A mods. I will try it this summer...
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my RA. Done alot of modding NA and still going strong. IDK if everyone wants to spend the money to modd the RAs but that is personal preference..
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SSP-Ralliart
I love my RA. Done alot of modding NA and still going strong. IDK if everyone wants to spend the money to modd the RAs but that is personal preference..
You know I've always been wondering, but afraid to ask.......how much are you making at the wheels? You are undoubtedly the fastest NA RA on this forum, possibly in the whole USA, maybe even the world! We all know how fast your beast goes, but me personally, I'd like to know how much power you are putting out that got you that amazing time? Plus, you would also be a good reference as to how powerful an RA can be NA.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

idk what i am making at the wheels when i ran that time. I did afew upgrades before i went to the track. I was running 10:1 compression (10.3 to be exact) change the suspension tune due to too much wheel spin, changed engine tune at the track, removed AC compressor, and put the car on a huge diet. There was alot i did to the car to get that time. Was not easy by any means. I can get it alot faster now with the new engine which i plan on strapping on the dyno soon if I have the time and money. Before the changes i was at 198hp and 203trq at the wheels. Everything on the car was all tuned by me. I ran mostly RRM stuff at the time i ran that. I currently have all my stuff on the car. When it is up and running i will make some videos.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

I owned an 04 ralliart. It was actually the very first car I ever purchased brand new and I LOVED that car. I had it for a total of 3 years and I put 24K miles on it was all. I put a CAI, axel-back exhaust, some new tires, a rear strut tower brace, short shifter, shifter base bushings, under-hood shifter bushings and a stiffer front motor mount. The car was a lot of fun, but it left me wanting more. I had a friend buy an evo IX and I immediately fell in love. I traded the RA in shortly after and picked up a lightly used IX for a pretty reasonable price.

Back when I was looking in to it, RRM was the only group to have a turbo kit out for the car and RPW was working on it. Options were limited, and the community was even smaller than it is now. My advice to you is buy the nicest car you can afford up front. I LOVED the potential of the RA. I did not like how difficult it was (by comparison) to realize any of it.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Mar 30, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why on God's green Earth would anyone buy a FWD NA car and then ***** about how much trouble it is to turbocharge to what - some inane number pulled out of a hat like 300 whp? And where do the "but it's not a ..." moronic comparisons end? There are any number of raw edged exotics that make even the Evo pale - why not take the discussion right to that limit?

I still love driving my $25k RA. It's like having a 600cc motorcycle that you can wring out to it's limits on the road rather than a 1000cc flagship that is simply too much to ever use to it's full potential.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
Why on God's green Earth would anyone buy a FWD NA car and then ***** about how much trouble it is to turbocharge to what - some inane number pulled out of a hat like 300 whp? And where do the "but it's not a ..." moronic comparisons end? There are any number of raw edged exotics that make even the Evo pale - why not take the discussion right to that limit?

I still love driving my $25k RA. It's like having a 600cc motorcycle that you can wring out to it's limits on the road rather than a 1000cc flagship that is simply too much to ever use to it's full potential.
Because people are being told they can buy a 10K ralliart simply invest X amount of dollars and be "hunting car X" in no time. Everyone knows you've gotta pay to play if that's the route you want to take. The ralliart was a great car. If you're happy with it now, awesome. If you test drove one, and are already thinking you want to drop a turbo on there, you may want to move along and find something closer to your performance goals to begin with. It's not a jab at the ralliart, its moreso simply managing expectations properly.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:28 PM

I purchased an 06 ralliart 78000 miles and looking at cai, catback exhaust, underdrive pully, any more suggestions?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 03:59 PM

Mod it although it is expensive..
Old Sep 27, 2017, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Perform a complete maintenance service on the car and replace parts that need replacing with aftermarket mods. That's the best way to do it if you want to keep costs relatively low.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by rzrxn
Perform a complete maintenance service on the car and replace parts that need replacing with aftermarket mods. That's the best way to do it if you want to keep costs relatively low.
okay thank ill find the best shop around. Wish you could see my car in person such a beauty even with the stock OZ rally rims
Old Sep 28, 2017, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

If you're up for the task, there are a lot of how-to manuals here relating to general maintenance. I think it's so much better to try and tackle these yourself as you get to know more and more about your Ralliart and you feel so accomplished when the work is done. You're saying your RA came with OZ rims? Post pics! Oh and start a 'Show & Shine' thread Cheers man!

Quick Reply: 06 Lancer Ralliart worth modding?