Notices

Ralli-arts not selling very well....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2003, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again, don't mock the RalliArt's looks until you see it in person. It really doesn't look that bad. It's different, but come on, the grill on the 02-03 Lancers is hideous as well.
The 2004 Spec-V is one of the ugliest cars to come off the assembly line. They took what was good from the 02-03 (the front bumper and rims looked awesome, back end was still ugly) and made them ugly. It's like they wanted to lose sales.
I'm still not sure why Mitsu changed the look of the Lancer in just only two years. The dealer I talked with was pretty dumbfounded as well.

Also, the unless you have heard differently, the 2004 SVT is up on Ford's web site. So in my eyes it is still available for this year.

I also forgot to compare it to the RSX and the Civic SI. The SI is a piece of garbage compared to all the cars in it's class with a sloshy suspension, no torque (typical Honda), and an ugly car to boot. The RSX Type-S is the only one I would buy and is a little out of the price range for a comparison.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 08:11 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by livelyjay
Also, the unless you have heard differently, the 2004 SVT is up on Ford's web site. So in my eyes it is still available for this year.
I never meant to imply it wouldn't be available this year. But, this is the last year for it. Simply pointing out the further lack of competition in the price range in the near future.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosins...b02-332341.htm
Old Nov 25, 2003, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Ah, I see what you were getting out. The Spec-V and Mazdaspeed are both falling out after this year as well. Looks like it might have been a good time to bring out the RalliArt now so it will be around when everything else falls out.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 08:27 AM
DJJ

Yes the Mazdaspeeds are done as far as I know. You can get a real good deal on these cars. The ones that are left that is.
I have heard of them going for 16k + TTL. I was offered 17,400 + TTL for one but haven't jumped on it yet.

I didn't know that they will discontinue the Spec V though. Why are they doing this? Does anybody know?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The latter of the two would clean the RalliArt's clock, literally driving circles around it with their LSDs and better suspensions.
Which independent test firm do you work for? When are you going to publish your findings based on actual side by side comparisons of the vehicles you mentioned? I am interested in seeing your test results, maybe you can post a spreadsheet of the slalom, skidpad, acceleration, top speed, road course and driving impressions from your team of drivers and engineers.

Or am I assuming too much based on your statement?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 08:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Latter is only used when you have two options (the former and the latter).

Personally the only advantage I really see you pointing out (lively) are wheel size and the number of cams.

I just think it's in a section of the market that isn't particularly thrilling. Not sporty, not economical. Whoopie. For a couple grand more buy an SRT-4 if you want a sports car. Conversely if you want a more economical car, you've got a huuuuuge range of options for several thousand less.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

funny thing, if you're going for "economical", and by that i assume you all mean better gas mileage... the srt-4 still seems to be the way to go. the 99% parts and assembly in japan makes the ralliart quality a bit more appealing as far as long term reliability goes IMO.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

GPTourer: Yeah, I know I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but I have driven all of these cars very agressively, more so with the Spec-V and the Mazdaspeed because my friends own them. The suspension in those cars are far superior to the RalliArt just based on feel, and responsiveness. The suspension on the Spec though is arguably un-streetable because it is so damn stiff, which is why in autocross it picks up a wheel during turns. The RalliArt should have upgraded the rear stabilizer bar to compete with the other cars. The rear is still only 13mm thick. Overall I think the other two cars are a lot more bang for the buck.

DJJ: I jumped the gun on saying the Spec-V was going out after this year. My friend told me Nissan planned on keeping the SE-R trim for three years like it did in the past, but since they redesigned it after only 2 years, they may be keeping it around a bit longer.

HobieKopek: Yeah, I pointed out the difference in cams because I am really confused why went with a SOHC when most of the other cars in the class went DOHC. The RalliArt's suspension, although upgraded from the OZ, is still not on the same level as the other cars it's competing against.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

GPTourer: Yeah, I know I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but I have driven all of these cars very agressively, more so with the Spec-V and the Mazdaspeed because my friends own them.
I have driven all of the cars, except for the SVT Focus, too. However, I can't come to the same conclusion that one car could "drive circles" around another based on feel. I would still like to see a competant testing body, like C&D or R&T perform side by side tests and real numbers to back them up before I would make such a statement.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 11:33 AM

well, if mitsubishi did'nt go all pontiac on the front end i'd back the car but in my opinion they went for something original and wound up with a replica of ****. Nice engine though.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 11:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

HobieKopek: Yeah, I pointed out the difference in cams because I am really confused why went with a SOHC when most of the other cars in the class went DOHC. The RalliArt's suspension, although upgraded from the OZ, is still not on the same level as the other cars it's competing against.
That's simple. Cost cutting. Why make the 4g64 DOHC when you have an existing SOHC 4g64? (MIVEC aside) Same goes for the SRT and the SE-R.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GPTourer

I have driven all of the cars, except for the SVT Focus, too. However, I can't come to the same conclusion that one car could "drive circles" around another based on feel. I would still like to see a competant testing body, like C&D or R&T perform side by side tests and real numbers to back them up before I would make such a statement.
These cars have been tested recently for comparison the focus, mazda and the 2.5 rs I believe. By no means was any car running circles around another. They are all about the same save for a click here or there off the watch in acel and what not.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mobius97
These cars have been tested recently for comparison the focus, mazda and the 2.5 rs I believe. By no means was any car running circles around another.
Exactly the comparo test I was waiting for. It's funny how so many people forget that good tuning and engineering on a strong platform are the most important things to making a car perform well. Having a flat torque curve and an excellent chassis are armong the features that helped the Lancer out shine the more "technically advanced" Spec-V and 2.5RS in MT's test.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

I'll tell you why the RalliArt is not going to sell well. It really doesn't compete with other cars in it's class. I drove it on Friday and was not overly impressed with the car. Sure it is better than my OZ, but it is not better than other cars in it's class for the same price, or even a little bit more. Here is a comparison:

2004 Lancer RalliArt:
- $18500
- 5 speed transmission
- Decent suspension (although the rear sway is the same as OZ)
- 162 hp/162 torque
- SOHC inline 4
- Disc brakes all around
- 23/29 MPG
- 16" wheels

2004 Spec-V
- $18000
- 6 speed transmission
- Very good handling suspension
- Helical LSD
- 175 hp/180 torque
- DOHC inline 4
- Brembo brake upgrade option
- 23/29 MPG
- 17" wheels

2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protoge
- $18500 (discounted price I saw at dealer this weekend)
- 5 speed transmission with short shifter
- THE best suspension in it's class
- Torque Sensing LSD
- Stock Kenwood sound system with MP3 and subwoofer
- 170 hp/ 160 torque
- A turbo, because we all love turbo
- 24/30 MPG
- 17" Racing Hart wheels

- 2004 Focus SVT (RalliArt beats this one out)
- $19500
- 6 speed transmission
- Good suspension (Large sway bars)
- Lighter than all of the above
- 170 hp/ 145 torque
- 21/28 MPG
- 17" wheels

The latter of the two would clean the RalliArt's clock, literally driving circles around it with their LSDs and better suspensions. I mean come on, the rear sway bar looks like a twizzler. It does look better than the 2004 Spec-V, but not much looks better than a MazdaSpeed. The only problem with the Speed is it isn't a mass produced car. The RalliArt is not going to sell until the Spec-V goes off the market next year and after all the Speeds are sold. Also, anyone in the market for a RalliArt could easily spend a few more buck and get an SRT-4 (which the new one also has an LSD), or a base model WRX (or a 2003 model which will be discounted until all sold, hell even the 2.5RS is better than the RalliArt).
I find it quite funny how you dog the RalliArt as if you've owned one for 2 years. Test driving a car for 5-10 minutes max IS NOT going to determine whether or not the car is worth it. You have to break the engine in, take the suspension to the limit by swirving or taking turns 20mph over the actual turn speed limits, and get a feel for the car in general. And for one I'm sure you just drove the car normally and didn't take anything that I just said into perspective. Of course when you test drive a car It's not going to show much about the car. Now if you take it and drive it like you stole it... THAT is when you'll know if the car is worth It's money. And I can almost guarantee when you got your 120hp OZ you were probably among the other OZ owners out there who were talking about how great the car is. So if the OZ is soooooo great, which I'm sure you once bragged about like everyone else, yet you admit the RalliArt is better... then why is the RalliArt so bad? My friend has a 2002 OZ Lancer and he's making a higher payment then I am on my 2004 RalliArt. My RalliArt stock will beat his with his exhaust, suspension upgrades, cold air intake, headers and all by ATLEAST 2 car lengths.
Don't judge a book by It's cover... And don't judge a car by a 5 minute test-drive is all I'm trying to say.

You're simply a hater and attempting to down-talk the RalliArt to make your OZ Lancer seem a little better when It's not going to get you anywhere.

RalliArt WILL prevail.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

yes it will. i just went with my buddy to pick his up tonight. got to drive it back 45 minutes from the dealer, where he left his bike the night before. (they didn't have his color in stock, so he took home a black one for the day). all in all, the car feels, looks and sounds great. i still love my oz, but will most likely upgrade to the ralliart as soon as i find the funds.

Quick Reply: Ralli-arts not selling very well....