Notices

i need help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need help!

Ever since i bought my ralliart last May, I've noticed that my lighting in and out of my car is screwed up more or less. My middle dome light sometimes goes out for no reason, when i get a screwdriver to pop the lens off to check the bulb, as soon as the lens pops off, the freakin light comes on, so i just keep a screwdriver in my car at all times now. Another problem i have is my HVAC controlls, when i got my car i just figured they didn't light up but after looking on the forum, they should. I don't know where to even look to fix it. And lastly, my parking lights/tail lights, I was taking a picture of my cars lights front and back, All the lights worked properly, front and back, then two days later, dad says to me, "You got a tail light out". I'm like WTF, i just took a picture of them and they were working. Turns out that the right side Parking lights dont work cause i changed both bulbs. So I wired off the left Tail Light to the right side and it works, so i have that temporarily fixed so i dont get a ticket but the front parking light doesn't work. Sorry for a so many stories and such a long post but is there anyone that thinks they could maybe help me out? It would be very greatly appreciated! And if you dont understand something i have said, just ask. Thanks in advanced! This Forum is Awesome!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Find all ground wires (the black ones) that attach from the battery negative to the body frame and the engine. Probably one is broken or corroded. Remove the bolt, use sandpaper to clean corrosion/paint off the wire terminal and the body/engine, clean with a rag or brake cleaner spray, then reattach. Do this for all ground connections even if they look okay. Do not use a "dielectric" grease on the connection, keep everything dry and shiny.

I do this on my cars every couple of years. I've seen bad grounds be the source of hard starting, sensor malfunctions, and lighting problems on lots of vehicles. Unless the electrons that leave the battery positive terminal can find their way back home easily through clean grounds to the negative terminal, the loads they pass through (lights, etc.) just won't work properly.

Last edited by RalliartN; Jul 11, 2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Hey, thanks for the reply! I'll get to checking them out asap and I'll pet what I find out.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

so now i need more help! i was lookin around under my steering wheel and was taking the panels off to get to my fuse box easier, so i got to my dimmer switch and unplugged it and proceeded with checking all my fuses and they were all fine, so i reassembled everything and plugged the dimmer thingy back in and that night i turned my car on, then my lights and i noticed something terribly wrong, My gauge lights dont work now! anybody have any ideas for that one? sorry for asking so much...
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
you made sure the dimmer was not switched off right?, just checking.

Power for that should be a 7.5A Fuse in the relay box, check owners manual for location.

i can check in a bit for you to make sure

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jul 13, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

By switched off, do you mean turned down?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ralliartyz250
By switched off, do you mean turned down?
Your gauge lights are turned on and off by the same switch as your daytime/night time lights. Make sure the end it is turned away from you at least one position.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

yes, i know that, when i turn my parking lights on, my gauges dont light up, the dimmer switch doesnt do anything, my turn signals and all warning lights work, just not the lights to show my gauge faces. :/
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

So i just checked every fuse inside and in the engine bay and only one was blown, and it was the right tail light fuse so i took the cruise control fuse and stuck it in the tail light location and now i have my parking lights. the fuse was not blown when i rewired the tail lights for a temporary fix but whatever lol so i checked the gauge fuse one last time and its fine, so i put it back in its spot and my gauge lights work.......

this still dont answer why my HVAC lights dont work. any suggestions?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:38 AM

I am not sure why your HVAC lights are not working. I would replace the fuse for your HVAC lights, even with another one from the fuse box, just to make sure the fuse is not bad. Then
I would check to see if you are getting any power at your lights, or even just replace one bulb to see if they are burnt out.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

I changed out a couple of the same fuses to see if they would work but no luck. And to check if I'm getting power to the bulbs, should I just pull them/(it?) out and use a load reader or whatever they're called to check it?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:22 PM

A voltmeter or multimeter set to read DC voltage will work, you just need to remove one bulbs.

When doing this you cannot cross the 2 meter leads, as it will blow your fuse. If you cannot fit the 2 leads into the bulb socket safely then you can try to measure the voltage from the power connection. I believe this is connected from the back, but I am not %100 on that.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you everyone for all your help, It is very much appreciated! but i was driving home tonight and i looked down and about s*** myself, my gauge lights were working but not only that, my HVAC lights were on too!!!! i dont know what i did or what happen but all my lights are working, i have owned the car for a year and two months and not once have i ever seen my HVAC lights lol so idk if they are fixed for good but thanks everyone for the replies and effort to try and help me!

its a crappy picture but you can see my lights!
i need help!-photo226-2-.jpg
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

get out before that thing catches on fire!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

i think there are Mitsu*****y gremlins in the dang thing!

Quick Reply: i need help!