Notices

Route DRL to fog lamps

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Route DRL to fog lamps

Does anyone know how to accomplish this, or has anyone ever done this?

I can imagine re-routing the handbrake ground will only provide like a ~6v power source (and half the power to the fog lamps) just as it currently does for the headlamps.

I've done a few days research on this, but can't quite find what it is I'm looking for. I've tried a couple of mods over the last few days but the results aren't quite what I'm looking for either (ie. triggering the fog lamps with the parking lamps, or triggering the fog lamps with the low beams).

I'm not looking for having independent control of the fog lamps (nor am I looking to add an independent switch in the cabin).

I'm not looking to disable the DRL's entirely (ie. bending ecm pins etc) to mod them in this fashion, as this is illegal here - the point is to keep the DRL's but simply move their positioning on the car.

I have a feeling I'd need to keep the DRL controls in tact to accomplish this in the end anyway, BUT may have to disable the the little ECM under the hood and jerry-rig some wiring to alternate a power source.

Simply put, when the parking brake goes down, the fog lamps turn on as the DRL instead of the (low) low beam.

^I don't care if the fogs are on at the same time with the headlamps or hi beams in the end, as long as the fog lamps are the DRL's - period.

Thanks for any help you can provide
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
hmm...i've brainstormed the fog + highbeam dilema extensively...but it got put on the back burner while i work on the turbo kit...

this is an interesting idea, the problem is that the circuit diagrams in the service manual are vague and only show wiring and discrete components...they don't provide circuit diagrams of the inside of the computers, as the exterior lighting system is controlled by several ECU's (column/etacs/front) and there are logic circuits that control the power relays which are pretty ambiguous as to how they work, and how they can be manipulated without causing negative effects in other circuits...I troubleshoot and repair wiring and electronic circuits/computers on a $300,000,000 aircraft for a living, but we have very detailed board level circuit diagrams, in addition to standard wiring diagrams...i will have a peek through the diagrams again when i have some spare time...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Do it.....do it...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Go find out! then test it! then do a write up! the turbo build can wait!

kidding. haha. but if you could look into it (probably having a better understanding of the circuitry) that would be great! !
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

I know there are a number of circuits and ecm/ecu's to trick but would it be as simple as doing something like bending the pin in the red box (that powers the DRLs) backward - to turn the DRL low-low beam off - then run the red/white solenoid wire under the fog light relay to a 12v acc/ignition source? Might then have to ground the red box/ecm to the battery I would think..

If that works, that should give me the result I'm looking for right?

At a basic form, that makes sense, but I think the dummy proofing would prevent it from working..

edit - sorry, double post

Last edited by nerdbotSKRA; Feb 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM.