Notices

Front Parking Lights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Parking Lights

I've got a 2004 ralliart, and all four front parking lights are out.

I've checked all of the bulbs, and all the fuses. I think it's the "Front ECU". I've never heard of a "Front ECU" before. It's under the fuse box under the hood, it looks like a big green relay.

I've posted this over at the EVO forum because someone had same problem without anyone posting an answer. I'm going to talk to a dealer soon to figure this out. If any of you got any insight about this topic please pass this forward.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
those are pretty expensive. what do you mean when you say parking lights?

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Mar 16, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

The Front ECU in my RA (2006) is black. It is basically a Relay Control Unit. From the dealership it is priced at $142.40, but you should be able to scavenge one up in a salvage yard or something for a fraction of the price.

Just did a quick Google on the part numbers and I found a few for under $100.

The old part number is MR587807. This number was also used in the Galant and other models that featured the 4G69. An eBay ad came up for this one and the case was red, so it seems that there have been a few different versions floating around.
The new part number is 8638A009 is what comes up when I get this part from the dealership system (again, using the VIN for my 06 RA). There must have been a change between years, maybe a fix for the problem your having, I don't know. If this part is compatible with your car, then maybe consider getting this one, but I would look into the change before purchasing obviously.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

i would suggest some more trouble shooting if you know how to use a multimeter...and my front ECU is black and red.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:03 PM

This picture shows what I mean by parking lights. I have a few multimeters, so if you have any ideas on a trick to use them I'd be happy to hear them. I'll look into those part numbers, and take it from there. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails Front Parking Lights-thumbnail.jpg  
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unless your taillights, cigarette lighter light, rear defroster button light, clock, and a bunch of other things are all out as well, it's not your Front-ECU. The relays that power your parking lights also power all those other lights.

If those still work, check your bulbs and wiring.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

those are referred to by mitsubishi as "position" lights...they are in parallel with the tail lights of the same side, and both license plate lights on the LH side, fuse # 20 for RH side and fuse #21 for LH side...they all use the same relay, and they are grounded individually, so if the fault is internal to the front ECU, the other lights in the circuit shouldn't work either...did you try replacing the bulbs, or did you just look at them? sometimes it's hard to tell if they are burnt out.

I was bored this morning, so i actually just went and took my headlight out...you can see the sockets for the position lights, and how they are connected, i would use a multimeter and check the connector for the position lights for power. because it's very unlikely that both sides have bad grounds, as they use different grounding points.

damnit Myszkewicz, beat me to it...guess i wasted too much time removing headlight assemblies and posting pictures...lol

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Mar 18, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:32 PM

Thanks Cranswick for the info, And the picture. I'm going to pull the whole headlight assembly like you did, to trace the wires and find the problem with my multimeter. Your right about the way the wiring is for it, therefore it isn't the Front ECU.
Myszkewicwz, just because the lighter, defroster, clock etc.. doesn't mean it couldn't the Front ECU. With components like the Front ECU they have a tendency of sometimes stop functioning in parts. Like the main ECU, sometimes the engine won't work, or the alarm will act up, or just the fuel pump. When it comes to modules that control multiple components it isn't necessarily a black or white deal. On the other hand, Cransick points out that if the rear parking lights work and they work from the same relay on the Front ECU then it couldn't possibly be the problem.
I'm going to pull the headlight assembly like I said in the next couple of days, and I'll get back to you with an update.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

you almost have to remove the bumper to get the damn things out...but i've had my bumper off and on so many times i can pull it off in like 5 minutes...

Myszkewicz does make a good point, although i didn't see the cigarette lighter in the diagram, the running tail lights, and license plate lights do use the same relay internal to the front ECU, so if it was the front ECU you should not have tail lights or rear plate lights...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
you almost have to remove the bumper to get the damn things out...but i've had my bumper off and on so many times i can pull it off in like 5 minutes...

Myszkewicz does make a good point, although i didn't see the cigarette lighter in the diagram, the running tail lights, and license plate lights do use the same relay internal to the front ECU, so if it was the front ECU you should not have tail lights or rear plate lights...
How'd you get them out without pulling the entire bumper...??
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

you take the two bolts out from the front "crash bar" behind the grille, and the screws that connect the bumper to the fender in the wheel well, and all the plastic clips the hold the grille to the car, and the bumper to the splash guards, and you should be able to pull the bumper out enough to get the headlamp assembly out...there's actually not much holding the bumper on...
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

I know it's been a while for this thread, but I realized my position/parking lights are not working. I'm refering to the smaller bulb in the top corner of the headlight shroud. It seems as though the previous owner disconnected them totally. I'm not sure how to rewire them, so I could sure use some help. I can post up some pics after i leave work today.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

you mean you don't have the "Y" harness that should be connected to the assembly?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
you mean you don't have the "Y" harness that should be connected to the assembly?
Exactly. It seems as though (for some strange reason) the "Y" harness was cut and now only the side amber parking/position light is wired.

I'm leaving work in the next 15 minutes, I'll try to get a pic up asap.

Last edited by kapitolralliart; Apr 12, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a small remark
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Did some detective work...

So apparently, I didn't look close enough. I followed the wires and found the rest of my "Y" harness tucked down behind the back of the headlight. I guess the previous owner wasn't too fond of them. As a result, one of my bulbs practically melted.

Anywho, the two lights in the picture below are what were in the sockets replacing the stocks. This is the condition I found them in, exposed wires and all.

I don't know what kind of bulbs they are, but maybe someone else does? I'm not sure how to test them or how to wire them up.

At least I can get new bulbs for these lights now though.
Attached Thumbnails Front Parking Lights-2012-04-12-22.25.33.jpg   Front Parking Lights-2012-04-12-22.24.28.jpg  

Quick Reply: Front Parking Lights