Notices

I need help with my rally please help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need help with my rally please help

I had a timing belt break on me while I was driving ( going up a small hit at about 25 mph) I got the timing belt replaced and then the balancer shaft belt broke. After both of them being replaced the car will start but it still is running very rough and the check engine light is not coming on. Is it possible it may be the timing belt may be off? or maybe the balance shaft is 180 degrees out? Can someone send me a video or photos on how to check I have never done this before.

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Old Mar 4, 2014, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I could explain it, but it will take a while...youtube search 4g69 timing belt...the videos are for a 4g eclipse, but it's the same motor...the front balance shaft position is VERY important...also the rear balance shaft doesn't line up perfectly, so you place the mark on the sprocket a half tooth before the mark...
Old Mar 11, 2014, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

Make sure the oil pump is in phase.

IIRC it's on a 720 degrees rotation, look it up.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 09:17 PM

Hey OP so u did not have any bent valves or damages at all? My car recently had the timing belt snapped at speed of about 50kph just about to get in to 5th gear ( heard like a really loud screech and oil temp light came on, so right away i put it on neutral and costed to safety And of course i tried to restart a few times, =/... Anyways its in the shop right now will find out this thursday evening if im one lucky person to have no damage, but i doubt it..i will keep this thread updated.

Also same engine selling for $1000 +tax with 102k on it, they say its in great condition. Maybe its better to do a full swap if worst case scenario for my engine?

Thanks guys.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

$1,000 is pretty steep.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 01:38 PM

Well, update on my car, mechanic said:

#1 cylinder = 175
#2 cylinder = 200
#3 cylinder = 0
#4 cylinder = 180

he did say the engine ran, but not good.

Now he is checking into how many valves are bent and what other damages are done.

Im kind impatient lol is the cylinder 3 still fixable? Or the engine in general still good?

Waiting for him to call me back in a few hours will keep this updated.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

it's probably ok, you'll need some new valves...is the piston still in #3?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 03:50 PM

Hey just heard back from the shop and he said few valves are bent and piston arent bad lil scratches, now he recommends to replace all valves which is $845 like wow.... He said because down the road they might crack if i go drive at high rpm...My car has 145,000 km btw.

And he is charging me to do everything for 2300?? Shiii..??
I think the piston is still in #3
Old Apr 3, 2014, 04:08 PM

Hey just heard back from the shop and he said few valves are bent and piston arent bad lil scratches, now he recommends to replace all valves which is $845 like wow.... He said because down the road they might crack if i go drive at high rpm...My car has 145,000 km btw.

And he is charging me to do everything for 2300?? Shiii..??
I think the piston is still in #3
Old Apr 3, 2014, 04:10 PM

Sorry for the double post ,

So basically thats just the labour 2300 + all new valves 850+
+ water pump + hydraulic tensioner.. Is he charging me to much?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dnh143

In my experience I could get a low mileage engine and swap it for that price of $2300 . Perhaps not in your area... Thinking about that, I might have a low mileage engine for you...

Last edited by Resurrected RA; Apr 3, 2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dnh143

way too much...do you not have your own tools, or a buddy with tools?

$850 for valves is way too much, considering you could probably buy an entire engine from a wrecker for between $500-$1,000, and it would probably take a couple of guys a couple of days to swap it, but you need the right tools. Also 16 brand new in package genuine Mitsubishi valves from the warehouse is only about $420 before applicable taxes and shipping (do NOT buy these from Canadian Mitsubishi dealerships!). (exhaust valve p/n MR994498, intake valve p/n MR994497) Unless he's seating, and lapping them, and decking the head for you...then it's still a little high, but not too bad...that's why you want to change your timing belts when the service is due. $400 for a timing kit and water pump is much better than $400 plus $900 for a head rebuild. does the 2300 include all the parts, the head rebuild AND the timing belts and water pump? Cause that would actually be quite reasonable. it is a lot of work, so I wouldn't be surpised that the labour would cost that much, if 2300 is JUST the labour, and I would ask someone else, but since he's got the head off, you almost stuck with him, unless you tow the car somewhere else, and make sure he doesn't forget to give you all the parts and hardware he removed . that's why I do all my own work, and only pay for parts.

go to car-part.com, search year, make/model, engine in Canada,. postal code is optional...then select exc. evolution 2.4L.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 3, 2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 09:16 PM

Update: i was talking to the mechanic and he told me not only is he replacing all the valves, but also fixing the little scratches on the cylinder head he says. Is this cylinder head assembly just a drop in? Im willing to take on this task just dont have a garage =/ anyways in checkin out this car-parts website thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 09:31 PM

I might just buy the used $1000 engine here in my city (edmonton) that has 102,000km, if the head is just a drop in, i will take off the head out of that used engine and install it in mine? I cant swap the whole engine out, im just not capable =/....ah shii mang i dun know im almost ready to order parts.

Oh my second concern is if this cylinder head is just a drop in, do i have to do anything after installing it? Like maybe set timing? Or what?

Thanks for the help btw i will keep updating on whats happening, and what im doing..
Old Apr 3, 2014, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, if the head is good you can just swap it...102,000 is pretty good, so you probably wouldn't need to worry too much about valve stem or camshaft seals...You WILL need to set timing, replace belts and tensioners, as well as the water pump. Also you will need a new head gasket. you might be able to get away with swapping it it without having the head and deck machined if you clean it up nice, and there's no scratches or dings (even tiny ones can cause problems). one thing to note is that if the head bolts are stretched beyond spec they can't be re-used, however you'll have two sets to pick from, and chances are they will be ok.

believe it or not it's actually easier, and less complex to swap complete engines.

Quick Reply: I need help with my rally please help