Notices

Idling problems and Car shutting off at stops

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idling problems and Car shutting off at stops

Hello everyone. I just installed a new HID light kit in my 2004 ralliart. Since I have completed the installation my car idles kind of funny. When I first start my car it fires up and then rpm's drop to the point where it sounds like my car might die. Driving is fine but when I throw my car in neutral and brake to come to a complete stop my rpm's dip lower than usual. Usually between 500 rpm and 0. It kind of bounces around and sometimes even kills the car. I know that it must be something electrical because I don't get that unpleasant jerk that manual cars do if you stall. I have no idea where to start and am already pulling my hair out trying to find a solution. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
the shudder you get when the car is about to stall only happens in gear, has nothing to do with whether your idle problem is electrical or mechanical...I would say it's not electrical at all, and it probably related to a vacuum problem, or evap system malfunction...check your purge solenoid. is it throwing any codes?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:49 PM

I'm not getting a shutter when it stalls though. You can't even tell besides my lights on the dash being on. Check engine isn't on either. Sorry if I didn't respond to everything you said, I'm not extremely good with cars. lol
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:50 PM

Lights on the dash meaning all the lights that normally would come on when a man. car dies. Also, I didn't mess with anything other than the lights while working on my car.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Might sound silly but try putting in the stock headlights and see if the car repeats the issue. You may have disconnected something when doing initial install and forgot to put it back?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 05:49 PM

My car didn't come with the stock ones.. I purchased it from a used car lot. The person that had it before me already had an HID kit in it. I don't have the problem where the car shuts off all the time though.. So far it has only done it 4 times. It still idles kind of funny and the Tach still bobs between 0-500 rpm. After a while it evens out to about 1,000. It's still insanely odd. I've only had the car die 2 times on the way back from working on it, and 2 times this morning. I've done a lot of driving since yesterday with no problems.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
How long have you had the car? Sounds like it's a problem that has previously existed and possibly the colder temperatures caused the symptoms to appear. Check for vacuum leaks like previously stated.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 06:12 PM

I've had the car since last December. It made it through the -40 degree weather that we had last year just fine. (Stupid question) How could I check for vacuum leaks.. or tell if it's the purge solenoid?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 06:26 PM

I appreciate all the help by the way. This whole thing is way over my head. lol
Old Nov 30, 2014, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

when the idle is hunting or very low, pinch one of the vacuum lines on the purge solenoid, if the idle returns to normal then the solenoid valve is bad (stuck open, this would be a form of vacuum leak)...also when my purge solenoid went bad, the car would have a bit of trouble starting if I filled the gas tank to the gills. to check for vacuum leaks there's a few methods, but just visual and physically check all the hoses to make sure they are not damaged and the clamps are all present, and tight. I use a cigarette where can to see if any suspect areas suck the smoke in..lol, you can use other things for that method...just be sure you don't also have a fuel leak LOL!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Yea sounds like the purge solenoid. Mine did the same thing before.

Also I'd have it scanned for a CEL anyway. Its not uncommon around where I live for people to pull the gauges and remove a CEL bulb so that everything looks fine when selling the car... :/ Could be the same. Because you should be getting some kind of CEL.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 09:27 AM

Alright. I'll have to look it over in between my classes. Where can I find the purge solenoid on a 2004 RA? I have some idea of what it looks like from googling what it was after you said it the first time, I just don't know where it is located.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 09:31 AM

Also.. I don't know if this changes anything.. but the car hasn't killed for over 24 hours now. Also it seems like (although I could be wrong) that after I drive for a while and the car warms up, the idling stables out
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

that's normal...the purge solenoid is to the left (if you're standing in front of the car, looking at the engine) just under the intake manifold plenum. If you googled it, you should recognize it when you see it. there will obviously be hoses connected to the barbs. You can get a run of the mill, or if you want OEM, I think the part number is in the sticky, if not, I can grab it for you.

just in case:
Attached Thumbnails Idling problems and Car shutting off at stops-cp683_primary.jpg  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 06:43 PM

Awesome thank you! I'll check if everything is tight tomorrow when I have some daylight. I'll look up a vid on how to look for vacuum leaks too.

Quick Reply: Idling problems and Car shutting off at stops