Notices

Exhaust manifold leaks?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust manifold leaks?

I just replaced the starter (by the way who designed that location)
I re used the oem exhaust manifold Gasket thinking it would be okay. So after a week a leak started from cylinder 1 exhaust. So I bought a fel pro one from a local parts store replaced it and now it still leaks from the same area. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancerfry30
I just replaced the starter (by the way who designed that location)
I re used the oem exhaust manifold Gasket thinking it would be okay. So after a week a leak started from cylinder 1 exhaust. So I bought a fel pro one from a local parts store replaced it and now it still leaks from the same area. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
was it cold when you took it off? if you removed all the fasteners from one side to the other, you may have warped the flange, but it should still seal up ok, cause the header flange itself is basically sheet metal...are all of your fasteners torqued properly? Don't try to seal it by over torqueing the nuts, you'll ruin the gasket and risk breaking a stud, or stripping the threads in the cylinder head. I would disconnect the "downpipe", take the header off, clean it up nice and shiny with progressively finer sand paper (use a block), bolt the header/manifold back on, then reconnect it. assuming those nuts aren't all corroded as all ****, but if they look really bad, don't bother, they might break...I would have a drill, some cobalt or titanium drill bits, and some nuts and bolts ready to go before you try to take it off, lol...

if it comes down to it...drill slowly and lubricate
Old Jun 8, 2016, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did remove when it was cold. The bolts weren't that bad to remove. No Rust or anything. That's a good idea I can remove it and clean the surfaces. I tightened it to every other bolt
Old Jun 8, 2016, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yup, the most important thing for all-metal gaskets is that both mating surfaces are nice and clean. I've used felpro gaskets for intake and exhaust manifolds, and never had any problems.