Notices

P0171 Engine Code

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation P0171 Engine Code

I’ve been driving and loving my 2004 Ralliart since 2005 when I got it in Puerto Rico. First mod I did was TEIN springs and KYB shocks. After that I put an RRM cold air intake and since then my Check Engine light is ON/OFF. I moved to Atlanta, GA back in 2010 and my Ralliart jumped on a boat and made the trip to Jacksonville FL, where I picked it up and drove all the way up to my new Home. Down there in Puerto Rico Check Engine light was no issue to get my tag every year, but over here with the OBDII test I have been getting away with reseting my ECU, driving really calm for about 50 to 60 miles and if its still OFF, emissions test goes great and without problems. The code has always been the same, System too lean, Bank 1. This year it looks like Im not gonna be able to get away with the same trick. Drove for about 55 miles, no code, but emissions failed, ECU was not ready yet, and as soon as I pulled out Check Engine came back...

Suggestions, fixes, tips will be greatly welcomed guys.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
make sure you have no exhaust leaks, no vacuum leaks, and then ensure the O2 sensors, intake air temperature/mass airflow sensor, MAP sensor and coolant temperature sensors are working correctly...after that ensure you have correct fuel pressure, and all injectors are working properly...

how does it run? does it misfire, or idle higher or lower than normal? could also be a bad throttle position sensor.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
make sure you have no exhaust leaks, no vacuum leaks, and then ensure the O2 sensors, intake air temperature/mass airflow sensor, MAP sensor and coolant temperature sensors are working correctly...after that ensure you have correct fuel pressure, and all injectors are working properly...

how does it run? does it misfire, or idle higher or lower than normal? could also be a bad throttle position sensor.
It runs smooth, no issues. And the car was fairly new when I got the intake, its been 14 years same code, no issues.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Sounds like there is a vacuum leak(could be the intake, after the MAF, before the throttle body)or improper MAF diameter on that intake...if it's been on since the intake was installed, exactly then that's likely the problem...I don't recall if the AEM cold air intakes caused problems or not, but my short ram intake sure didn't cause any CEL.