Notices

Just got the PiggyBack Ecu from RRM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2004, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just got the PiggyBack Ecu from RRM

I just got the PiggyBack installed and i must say that the results are AWESOME!! Install was pretty easy (especially if your friend who is an aircraft mechanic helps out), the only problem is that the numbers for the connectors at the top of the instruction page are numbered backwards.

After I drove like my grandma for 15 minutes to let the piggyback relearn i came up to a straight away and took off. The car felt like i was in mid or high valve timing mode the whole way through acceleration. I have no way of quantifying what was gained but i can tell you that I have never installed a mod that made this much difference before.

The car also feels better during normal driving....much more torque down low and much more go when you need it. And to top it off this is the first mod that ive done to this car, so I cant even way to see what and intake, etc will do.

Great job to RRM, and I must say that if you have a ralliart and you have 470 bones available do yourself a favor and pick this up.

Anyone else who put this in have any comments?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 08:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now there is a good review from a completely stock person... been waiting to see on of those for a while.

Glad you liked it and it all worked out... you should call RRM and inform them about the directions.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 03:30 AM

yeah i installed it the other day, and it wasnt that bad, except for the instructions. like he said the numbers are back, and a couple of things could be clearer, but im fairly happy with it. JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS: if your car is running rough and you have a fuel cut off at 5000 RPM, you reversed the wires... yeah i know im an idiot.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

What exactly does the piggyback change? Is it really that much of a difference?
Old Sep 18, 2004, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

it changes the way that the ECU manages and times everything. Increases fuel feeds, retimes valve open/close times, etc.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

the directions are how they want you to see it. If you look at the size of the different clips it makes sense on how to read it.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a redline change?
Old Sep 18, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

what are the long term affects on the motor if you were to run a piggy pack. could you still safely manage 100k miles plus with no problems?...
Old Sep 18, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

the piggy wont ever put you where your enigne doesnt need to be..thats why the stock ecu is still in place...you wont ever go over the limits of the ecu are they are still there

AdamRA: in responce to your q's...the piggyback changes/ manipulates how the ecu recieves certain readings...basically it makes it think thats its in a different place in the powerband than it really is...they already come pretuned so its not something you have to mess with but they can easily be retuned just incase you have the software and know how to run maps
Old Sep 18, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

think of it like having a pre-set e-manage that was made just for your car.

the redline is fixed by the construction of the motor and nothing else. by definition, the redline is the speed the engine can cycle at without literally exploding. nothing will change this except new engine components.

the ecu may hurt emmissions and fuel economy just a little, but wont take the life of the engine down. You will need to use 91octane gas, though.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

the directions arent backwards. what you see on the paper, is what you see when you actually look at the ecu pinouts.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

blk-majik the redline can be changed on most cars, When I still had my RSX I had a hondata tuned ecu that raised my redline, without any internal work.

So the piggyback gets wired to the ECU and that requires some soldering?
Old Sep 20, 2004, 05:10 AM

I wasnt sure if the numbering on the tabs or in the directions was backwards, but one of them was.....now that i think of it, i think it was the numbering in the directions.

Where the directions say tab 4 in the written portion it actually refers to tab 2 as labeled in the diagram or vice verca

Its very easy to figrure out which is which, as only the correct tab has that color of wire.

Sorry for any confusion
Old Sep 20, 2004, 09:57 AM

Can you still pass smog with an ECU? I assume that since the cats are still there it won't effect emmisions to much.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

nah, it wont effect the smog tests too much. the fuel mixture may be a bit more richer, but shouldnt be too much. If you take care of the car, it should be more than just fine. You wont be as efficient, but you will be faster

Quick Reply: Just got the PiggyBack Ecu from RRM