Notices

DIY Clutch Block

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Clutch Block

I have this in my car and I thought everyone with a stick might want to check it out.

theory has been discussed here

Materials needed (aside from the obvious):

-two drill bits, one slightly larger than the post on the firewall and one big enough so the hole it creates will fit a socket.

-washers and nut to fit thread on stud. I don't remember what the thread size was, sorry. I went to NAPA and they had a tool that fits a bunch of different sizes to figure out what I needed.

-piece of wood approx. 2x2x4 for the block

1. On a level surface where you won't run into anything let your parking brake off and while in gear slowly release the clutch until it begins to engage. If you need to, have someone measure the distance from the factory block (which should be the end of the post coming out of the firewall. Or you could do trial and error like I did.

2. Take that measurement and subtract enough to allow the moving parts in the clutch to completely disengage. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT as your clutch will wear very fast if it doesn't disengage completely.

3. Now cut the piece of wood to your final measurement.

4. Drill a hole all the way through the center with the smaller drill bit.

5. Countersink this hole with the larger drill bit far enough to get a nut on the post coming from the firewall, henceforth the "post."

6. Slide block onto post, then washer, then nut and tighten down enough so you can't move the block around. There is insulating padding all around the post and you want to make sure when you hit the clutch it doesn't move the block.

7. If your clutch grinds or is more difficult to engage than before go back to step two until it operates normally.

I only have one pic that is worth a damn and that it's the final product. I hope y'all enjoy this mod as much as I do.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Clutch Block-lowqual.jpg  
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss this thread HERE!