Notices

Trying to rebuild my 04 RA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to rebuild my 04 RA

About 2 months ago my timing belt went while I was driving, got a couple bent valves and bent guides from that. I just recently got some money to buy all the parts and take my head to the shop. I now have it all back, gaskets, sealant, new head bolts, timing belt kit, etc. (I hope I got everything, pretty sure) I've torqued down my cylinder head, and am pretty darn sure it's all timed up, we'll except for the balance shaft which is one thing I need help with. The other is that I have searched pages and pages on this forum and have yet to find a 'block and up' rebuild, I won't lie, I took most of it apart months ago, and I did take pictures and label parts, but I'm hoping someone has a more thorough write up of this job, where all the plugs go, maybe some bolts too, sensors etc. I've got two vehicles in my driveway right now, both waiting to have the engine put back together, but I really want my RA back. Any help would be great, links to other posts that I might have missed because I'm an idiot. Anything, especially with the balance shaft also. Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
making an investment into a subscription at alldatadiy helps tremendously. other than that i'm sure there are some of the shop manuals floating around around the forums.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
FSM is key here...how much stuff did you take off, there's no really much hardware in the head, mitsubishi ASA will tell you bolt sizes for every assembly, and there are no electrical connectors that will plug in where they're not supposed to go, the only mildly tricky part is routing the control harness and remembering all the clamping points.

if you're doubting the balance shaft timing but have the valve timing done, you've already gone too far...
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
FSM is key here...how much stuff did you take off

if you're doubting the balance shaft timing but have the valve timing done, you've already gone too far...
I took off; intake and exhaust manifold, throttle body to clean it, air filter box and all, motor mount, all belts, crank pulley, alternator pulley? I believe. I had to replace the OCV/mivec controller, as it was broken. Replaced all gaskets, egr valve.

What do you mean by I've gone too far? I'm confused, I have not put on the belts yet but I believe I did read somewhere how to time the balance shaft. Am I screwed altogether or just need to start over again?

Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 2006 Lancer Ralliart Workshop Service Manual is available here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...able-here.html

Check the section on replacing the timing belt. It is not difficult to do, just take your time then check and recheck. As I said before, you worked on OHC engines already and this one is the same, no surprises. When I did my timing belt and balance shaft belt, I had not touched a car so intimately in over 7 years.

You will be ok.

There is another thread on this I will keep looking for and post if I find it.

EUREKA !!!!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...acement-5.html

Thanks Samdog.

Last edited by 2006_RA; Mar 2, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

the most important part is the part where you crank the engine by hand 6 times when you're done...lol, a buddy of mine way back did his own timing belt with no manual, and "winged" it...had the crank timed wrong, and then tried starting the car....the starter motor bent his valves...
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the links and the part about cranking it 6 times first, I still haven't gotten back to it because of the weather, but I do have one question. I saw in FSM to position the balance shaft I insert a 8mm screwdriver into a plug, where is the plug on the left side of the cylinder block, is it on the top? I know I may be an idiot for asking but I wanna be sure
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

i can't remember...i fell like it's closer to the pulley side but i think it's sort of in the middle...but like at the bottom of the block just above the oil pan under the starter...pretty sure it's the only bolt on the front of the block thats not holding the exhaust header bracket on...can someone who's near their car confirm?

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Mar 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 09:04 AM

Thank you cranswick, I'm working on it today, sucks its 37 degrees right now. So exhaust side it is, I haven't found it yet, but I just now re read what you said, makes more sense, about to go look. The other question is what about the other balance shaft the one with its own belt, how do I know if that is correct, and if not with it tear up my valves again?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm like 90% sure it's this one

This bolt ended up stalling my balance shafts when I had them which cause my engine to chew on my valves
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by munkibishi
Thank you cranswick, I'm working on it today, sucks its 37 degrees right now. So exhaust side it is, I haven't found it yet, but I just now re read what you said, makes more sense, about to go look. The other question is what about the other balance shaft the one with its own belt, how do I know if that is correct, and if not with it tear up my valves again?
Just use the marks for that one.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 06:07 PM

Thank you guys so much, I got it back together and running finally, still need to adjust some valves. This thing sounds like a beast with everything cleaned.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

I'm glad it worked out, dont wait till the next breakdown to post either
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:47 PM

I'm glad to speak now the only issue I am having is my engine is running hot and like an idiot I did not replace the waterpump nor buy a water pump I'm only running hot at idle though so to be honest I think I'm going to go with the thermostat replacement first but definitely going to buy water pump still.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

are the fans coming on?

Quick Reply: Trying to rebuild my 04 RA