Notices

Hood Vent

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartN
Thank you, Mirroreyes. The wrap itself is Vvivid, which I bought off ebay, was $60 and the installation was $70. The shop that did the installation uses a different kind (3M), but they had no problem with me bringing my own.

A paint job would have been about $300.

You're right of course nekkid, but sometimes I just gots to see for myself.
That's a pretty good deal you got there! I was thinking of wrapping my hood with black vinyl as well (after I take care of all the rust that's currently demolishing the front tip of my hood ). I'll just make sure that I remove all the rust and coat the spots with some kind of rust-preventing paint, then just wrap the whole hood instead of doing a paint job that will cost hundreds of dollars. "Great minds think alike"

Here's a pretty cool "how-to" guide on vinyl wrapping that I read a while back. I personally would not tackle this project as it seems pretty risky but it's a pretty good read with lots of pictures

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ajor-pics.html

Enjoy!

PS: I'm going to add this to my list of: "Things to do when I take a trip to Trenton to see Garrett and Nick" LOL!

Last edited by rzrxn; Aug 29, 2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Very thorough tutorial, it's the one to bookmark!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Looks great man!!!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is going to be my first mod once it warms up next year. I want to try and take what you did and enhance it a little. I was thinking about making the corners rounded instead of straight. Also I want to see if I can find a rubber seal that has two edges on opposite side,so I can slip one side around the cut steal and then insert the metal mesh on the other side that sides in the hole. I will keep this updated with what I find. Great work tho!

This looks like an interesting company that might be able to make seal for the vent. I will give them a call -> http://www.trimlok.com

Last edited by mikemike396; Nov 27, 2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added Trim Link
Old Nov 29, 2013, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Great! be sure to post pics. And if I run across that sort of rubber moulding I'll let you know, it would be useful.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

nice job guys! can't wait to see the results. i WOULD do this mod but i think my lack of knowledge will mess me up for sure. maybe in a few years when i've done a little bit more work on my RA. right now, it's TOO COLD to even THINK of going outside...
Old Nov 29, 2013, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rzrxn
right now, it's TOO COLD to even THINK of going outside...
just drive into your living room then...haha...jk
Old Nov 30, 2013, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Do it! When I used to live in apartments, I drove a motorcycle all year 'round (snowmobile suit). I would bring them into my bachelor apt after midnite, when the super wasn't around, to work on them there.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Lmao my dad did the same thing in the town house he used to own
Had a stand in the dining room and everything! :P
Old Dec 2, 2013, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

when i was in school my buddy bought a chevy 350 and rebuilt it on a stand in his apt living room(2nd floor...:S) to put in his dad's el camino(which he was supposed to get after graduating...but got stolen so he never got it)...he got angry and ended up never finishing the engine and put it in his parent's garage in the corner when he moved back in "temporarily"...

Last edited by nekkidlad; Dec 2, 2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nekkidlad
when i was in school my buddy bought a chevy 350 and rebuilt it on a stand in his apt living room(2nd floor...:S) to put in his dad's el camino(which he was supposed to get after graduating...but got stolen so he never got it)...he got angry and ended up never finishing the engine and put it in his parent's garage in the corner when he moved back in "temporarily"...
Um, did he wench it out the 2nd story window to get it out, or what? This almost sounds like, "...and I caught a fish this BIG (holding out his arms wide)!"

Last edited by truthdweller; Dec 2, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Truth, you'd be surprised at what can come in or out. I once helped move a large piano from a third story by manouvering it down those small rickety metal outside fire escape stairs. Made it, but used up all the favours from my guardian angels.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Um, did he wench it out the 2nd story window to get it out, or what? This almost sounds like, "...and I caught a fish this BIG (holding out his arms wide)!"
to bring it in, he stripped it all the way down to the bare block cleaned it up at school(UTI...aka car college) and one of his friends helped him carry it upstairs...the bare block weighs just under 200lbs...

to bring it down i'm not honestly sure(i wasn't there for that one)...im guessing the same thing again...he had a stroker crank, larger pistons(he had it bored a bit befor bringing it inside), aluminum heads and other things for it..but i don't remember how far he was into reassembly...
he chaged out the cam bearings(he borrowed the tool from school..lol) and put some kind of aftermarket cam...
i know he wanted to make the el camino a sleeper..so he was looking for as many perfomance parts as he could get for the lowest price(which basically means free, or he'd skip it)...

but like i said he never finished it...he didn't work on it very often, since he was missingsome parts...he wqnted to try to get into it atfer he got everything..but he did hone the cylinders..
Old Dec 3, 2013, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
just drive into your living room then...haha...jk
ahahah lol i would...
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:02 PM

nice product!