Notices

Radiator Airflow Sealing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Radiator Airflow Sealing

The foam seals around the radiators have, for the most part, deteriorated and crumbled away. For most efficient cooling, these seals should be tight and completely blocking any airflow through gaps between the A/C condenser rad, the engine rad, the rad fans, and the enclosing frame structure. It does matter.

I bought 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" thick rolls of closed cell foam tape at the hardware store, just to have a selection to work with. They come in 10 foot lengths, so one package of each is more than enough. I also used a couple of feet of foam pipe wrap used to insulate the 1/2" copper water lines in the house. Had some "Goop" automotive glue sitting around so I used that to help seal and secure the foam where it wasn't squeezed tightly between parts.

Remove the front bumper cover per instructions elsewhere in this section. Remove the A/C condensor bolts (red) and engine rad support bolts (green) to allow these items to be flexed backwards to facilitate easier insertion of the foam tape. The small black rad you see in front is an oil cooler.

There are big gaps at the corners that need to be filled in. I eventually used a combination of foam tape and the pipe wrap.

Remove the two rad fans. Simple to do, a couple screws each then lift and manouver out. Pulling out the coolant bottle helps.

Remove old foam and glue by scraping with wood chisel or something. Wipe the area clean then apply new 1/4" thick foam tape.

Folded some pipe wrap into a large gap between the rad and frame rail. Later I cut it more flush with the frame rail using a razor knife. Corners are a bit picky to seal but relax, grab a beer, and be thorough.

Pull back the rads and install strips of foam as needed to make a snug seal when the rads are pushed forward again and screwed in. Don't have too thick a layer, just want the foam gently compressed.

Push the rads forward into place then carefully scan the edges for gaps, and fill with foam as required. If any bits appear to be loose so they might get dislodged or blown out in use, then apply some adhesive to help secure. Red arrows show neat foam tape job. Reassemble. Bam. Lower coolant temperatures.

Last edited by RalliartN; Mar 24, 2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Genius as always! Nice write up.

I did notice thay the Evo omes with some factory air guides behind the bumper. Im assuming these are meant to guide air from the grills thru the radiators.

Before reading this i never gave a second thought to that crappy foam. Ill have to add this to my todo list!

Thanks!