Suspension/Tires Review

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Swift Springs

Stock:

Swift springs installed:

Pics aren't too good, but the difference is quite subtle anyway - can tell it's lowered from a distance, up close not so much. Front went down more noticably.

Installation is straightforward. The how-to has been documented in other posts.

Street impressions: ride is more jiggly all the time. The bit of initial-travel-softness of the stock springs is gone. Definitely more firm on rough-ish rural roads. Caused some new dash rattles on cobbly roads; on smooth town and highway roads no new noises. Going fast over railroad tracks: no jolts or crashing, same smooth control as stock. The off-camber curve (slanted the wrong way!) I like to take fast has been tamed by the Swifts, it doesn't feel wrong anymore, the car tracks thru likes it's a properly banked curve - wow. I cannot clear any curbs at all with the Swifts, with the stockers I could park over the concrete curbs at work or at shops. I wouldn't tolerate anything stiffer on the street, this is the limit for me. Daily ride rating:

Track impressions: Trail brakes into corners flatter than stock, not perfectly firm and flat though (I guess thats what coilovers are for). Fast back-and-forth transitions are sharper. We have street cars with street tires, so you will overcome the tires before the suspension causes any grief. Worthwhile handling upgrade from stock, although I think stock is pretty awesome for a low-budget car. Track rating:

Summary: worth it.
Old May 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good job, thanks RalliartN.
Old May 25, 2012, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
springs look great Nick, are they softer than my Tein's? i like how they don't slam the front end, still looks pretty stock...the Tein's have quite an aggressive drop up front for just springs...
Old May 25, 2012, 04:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya same with the Eibach pro kit...slams the front and pretty much leaves the rear at stock height.
I don't mind it because it evens the gap all the way around.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
springs look great Nick, are they softer than my Tein's? i like how they don't slam the front end, still looks pretty stock...the Tein's have quite an aggressive drop up front for just springs...
The fronts are 20lbs/inch less than the Tein S Techs. The rears are the same spring rate.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, the Swifts react softer than the Teins as I recall from driving Cranswick's car.

Gotta do the brake testing tomorrow. Hmmm, now where'd I put that orange cone and 150' tape measure?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:55 PM

Hi guys, I just bought my mitsubishi ralliart a week ago and I have been looking for good aftermarket coilovers.

One told me that STD suspension are great ratio quality/price, but it was the first time I heard of this brand.

I was actually looking to pay up to 1300$+shipping.

Alex.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

RRM Rear Strut Bar

This little mod was an awesome investment. I can take turns at much higher speeds and the rear doesn't slide out as much as before. I would say this gave me a good 10-20% increase in handling. Great little mod but took a while to install because it was hard to line up the bolts. Overall I give this mod a 10/10. Next up is a progress rear anti sway bar.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Swift Springs

I got a set of Swift Springs for the Ralliart and installed them with new KYB Excel G shocks. I was wary of getting lowering springs because at times the stock ride was less than comfortable, but this was the only thing I could do to improve handling given that I already have a Progress ARB and coil overs are not an option.

On the test drive on the streets around my house I aimed for the bumps and drains and everything felt normal, no added harshness. I then went to a recently paved road and taking bends there at 100kmh I noticed less body roll and less steering effort. On to what passes for a rough road here which also happens to be my favourite road.

The first corner is a blind right hander I usually do it better in 4th than 3rd because in 3rd usually I am too heavy on the gas and it would understeer and I would have to ease off the gas and/or correct via steering. My best exit speed tends to be around 95kmh. Well this time in 3rd, it pushed some not as much, no adjustments needed, I just stayed on the gas, exit just over 100kmh. Hit the train tracks at approximately 110 and no harsh impact, actually the car was very composed.

The car just feels sharper, steering input and effort are both reduced, and not that it had much to begin with, but body roll is even less.

I guess they really are progressive because the ride is unchanged and there is less body roll too.
It's too bad that there are no adjustable shocks or even just some performance ones for the car.

I am trying to think of a reason to leave home other than aimless driving around.
I am glad I put them on and wish I could have done so sooner.

I definitely want to get to the track now, after a wheel alignment.

Next stop, LSD.

I now get rubbing at full right lock while reversing with the winter wheels installed.
Tyre: 195/60 15
Rim: 15 x 6.5 ET 42

Last edited by 2006_RA; Dec 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Great report. Hmm, lets see if Crans gets Ziggy to make the low cost LSD thingy, and we'll do an install day.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I got my KYB shocks and struts and also my Tein S-techs installed today. I need to get my tires balanced and an alignment done.

My rear actually sits just a tad higher now, but the front is a little over an inch drop. Nice and level now! It looks much better.

Now I just need to get either a tranny replacement or some seriously work done to it and I should be done......... maybe
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

what's wrong with the tranny? manual or auto?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
what's wrong with the tranny? manual or auto?
manual
its making a loud rattling noise on acceleration. it sounds like something is being jumbled around.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:26 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

The notorious TOB most likely.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, is it only while accelerating? what happens when you let off and roll?

try accelerating, and gently applying pressure to the clutch pedal while still accelerating, if it stops, it's your TOB...

Quick Reply: Suspension/Tires Review