Notices

looking for tires for my 05 RA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erg, the stock ralliart tire is a Good Year Eagle. They are shhhhugary as heck. Get my drift? (Heh, see how I put a pun in there too? I'm on a roll today. (Heh.. roll...))
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

lol, well i got there, and the only had the s drive in 215/45 17" which didnt fit, so I had to go with the yokohoma parada spec-2 215/40 17".

Liking them so far, I want to see how the handle wet roads though
Old Feb 25, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyj
over the weekend I blew out two of my tires in one trip, (still a little sore over that), but to be a good guy my dad decided to take my car to discount tire and get new ones for me, but still have me pay for them. He got good year eagle gt bsw 215/45 17's

but with the side wall extending out further than my last tires, the rears clip the chassis if I go over any bump faster than 5 mph.

So I'm taking it down to discount tire first thing in the morning and getting the yokohoma s drives.

they goodyear's have exactly 50 miles on the odometer since they installed it (im bringing my receipt lol) so they better not give me too much trouble since they put a tire on that doesnt really fit.
I can't believe Discount would mount that size tire on the RA. They should know better! I mean, all they do is tires and wheels all day...
Old Feb 25, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gjgfrombigd
I can't believe Discount would mount that size tire on the RA. They should know better! I mean, all they do is tires and wheels all day...
they should but, they didnt.

one they had my car as an es/ls on the work order, I blame my dad for that for taking my car in when I wasnt there to tell them, "It's a ralliart"

and stock rims on the RA are 16", mine are 17" so they probably would've blamed that.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:53 AM
rdc
Evolving Member

If the rears were rubbing a bit, all you had to do was roll the fenders a bit, but for the record, it has been proven that 215/45-17 should fit in a ralliart without problems. As a matter of fact, every weekday I walk around and see a Ralliart with Evo 8 wheels and the tire size it wears is the one i just mentioned.

OMGIVEC, go to tirerack and search, its very straight forward, and all you need to know once there is this:

treadwear -> numerically states aprox. how much it should last (higher number = lasts longer, lower number = lasts less (this can mean more grip but isnt always true))

traction -> its done in a wet track (i dont remember how much water but its controlled) and its like school grades, the closer to A the better, only in here you can get a double A (AA)

temperature -> its ability to resist extreme heat (again, the closer to A, the better) example, going autocrossing with a C rated tire will convert your car in an automatic cone eater

Once you make your selection of tires to see, read the reviews. Trust me, they will enlighten you on anything there is to know about each tire.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gjgfrombigd
i doubt that happend at a discount store but hey I seen some weird stuff from a discount store in AZ . im a manager at a americas tire and im sure they know the difference . parada spec 2?s are a so so yokohama .I run s drives or dunlop star specs they hold up pretty nice in the rain and some ice
Old Mar 3, 2009, 07:03 PM

Hey, I'm on the same dilemma as you are OMG, I asked some of my friends about a tire with good grip and durability, I also told them that my plan is to go to one track day per year, to race the 1/4 twice a month and that needs to be comfortable enough to be my daily driven and the pointed towards the Ventus RS-2, the Toyo T1R and the BG Goodrich G-force sport (of course in the middle price range). According to them, the RS-2 has the better grip but has the lower treadware, the T1R and the G-force sport are similar in grip and in durability, in Mexico the G-force sport is cheaper so I'm gonna decide between these three ones.

Any experience with these tires?

BTW omg, have you already bought your set?

Last edited by mr.ralliart; Mar 3, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

no i havent bought them i plan to get them by the end of march, and this is the first time i change tires for my car
Old Mar 3, 2009, 08:37 PM

Ok, a couple of days after I install the tires I will post a review so you can have another opinion, what are your current options?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have Toyo T1R's. Grippy of course. They also slide very predictably - more throttle more slide, less throttle less slide, they do what you ask with no surprises. Decent enough in wet, not scary like the stock Goodyears. Amazingly enough they are as quiet as Falken 452's I had - very little tire noise but not quite as quiet as the stockers. A key reason I bought Toyo T1R is it weighs 2 pounds less than stock tire or most aftermarket rubber. This makes a noticable difference in reducing wheel hop and in suspension reaction over bumps. Expensive and I'm very happy with them - will buy again.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

right now im looking at brigestone potenza
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Can anyone provide opinions on the bfgoodrich g-force sports vs the yokohama s-drives?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 09:26 AM

remember to look for the tire size of our cars which is: 205/50R16

most of those tires are pretty expensive here in P.R. I think the Falken ones are around $118-$144 if I recall correctly.

but anyways, for grip I'll say go ahead and try the BFGood Rich which are around $90-$95 at best.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

well i ended up with some Toyo Proxes 4 205/50/16. They seem to work pretty good, thay have a good grip for a 300 thread wear. Have anyone have these's before?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by omgivec
well i ended up with some Toyo Proxes 4 205/50/16. They seem to work pretty good, thay have a good grip for a 300 thread wear. Have anyone have these's before?
I have these on my 17's... 225/45/17 and besides the sidewall roll I don't mind them. Personally I try to go for more extreme performance style tires. In fact I just picked up some 225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle f1 GS-d3's for the galant and have 225/40/16 in the same tire for my ralliart's stock rims. I stopped using the 17's on the lancer because its a daily driver and opted to stop modifying it.

Right now I have used the following tires:

Federal summer performance tires ( I forget the exact style) - 225/45/17 - They did alright, performed really well for wet conditions and never hydroplaned especially with my driving style and speed I was shocked. Cheap tire price, but they wore out in 10K miles under aggressive driving

Falken Ziex 512 - 225/45/17 - only 225/45/17 tire I could fit in the rear on the stock suspension with 17x7 with a +42 offset rim after rolling the lips as well. Great performing tire and they lasted a long time. My valve stem blew before i could go through these tires

Goodyear Eagle f1 GS-d3's - 225/40/17 and 225/45/17 - REALLY tight side wall, in fact my tire guy hates these tires because of the stiffness to mount them. Otherwise they do great in the rain, dry and have lasted me 6K miles and barely show any wear.

Toyo Proxie 4's - 225/45/17 - I guess maybe because I'm used to stiffer sidewalls the roll on these tires sorta caught me off gaurd. I drive a lot of windy roads so I love having a stiff sidewall. The only benefit about these tires was that they were the only tire that actually got my car to move in the snow... haha

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 - 205/55/16 - Great snow tire, never had ANY problems with getting stuck and they lasted about 3 seasons without needing replacement

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 - 205/55/16 - Also a great performing tire, I wound up selling these after 1 season because I needed the cash but I did do push them a bit harder than I did the WS-50's and they seemed to stay on track a bit better. Also I found the LM-22's were a bit more predictable when the back end would kick out.

I would switch from Summers to winter tires around early January, also I switch from winters to summers around the first or second week of april.
Hope that works...