Notices

brakes for daily driver

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well then i learn something new...
i fugured the ".1" of the "5.1" was like the "super" in "super dot 4"(just made up to sound better)...
never heard of this 5.1 fluid...ill have to give it a look now...

ps can i get that guy's # w/ the supercharged mower to have him come over to my place and do the lawn..?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 RA - good catch! I wrote "silicon" which is the pure element in the Periodic Table, and you are correct referring to "silicone' which is the blended liquid used in commercial applications.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goodrige lines over techna fits, IMO anyday.. motul fluid, the mid level ones good(5.1) like $9/$10.. cheap rotors(not crap, but not fancy hey just get eaten) and some good pads, they make the most diff for the money.. i like carbotechs bobcats for occasional track days, and usually the OEM pads for DD, but theyre a little more $$ than a stoptech or others.. i havent tried all pad mfgrs, but eventually i will..
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
markspd6 please explain your reasoning on the goodridge lines? i've never heard of that group and not even sure they make an application kit for us?

i use ate superblue brake fluid and it works for me pretty well. i got durlast gold pads with r1concept rotors and technafit lines and im very happy with my brake performance

Last edited by Raikiri; Feb 12, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for keeping this thread alive. I'm leaning towards an upgraded pad on stock type rotors and not changing the lines. If I don't like the pedal response afterwards, then maybe the braided lines.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Raikiri
markspd6 please explain your reasoning on the goodridge lines? i've never heard of that group and not even sure they make an application kit for us?

i use ate superblue brake fluid and it works for me pretty well. i got durlast gold pads with r1concept rotors and technafit lines and im very happy with my brake performance
good ridge is world famous, and they make lines for evos etc...

i have both techna fit and good ridge lines for my mazda speed6 and the quality diff is obvious.. they weigh more, feel nicer and i just like em... ive use techna fits, they were fine, but didnt last as long.. i had goodridge on my lexus sc400 and they last 100k W/O any issues.. my techna fits looks dusted on my speed6 after 40k.. its just my op...
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by markspd6
good ridge is world famous, and they make lines for evos etc...

i have both techna fit and good ridge lines for my mazda speed6 and the quality diff is obvious.. they weigh more, feel nicer and i just like em... ive use techna fits, they were fine, but didnt last as long.. i had goodridge on my lexus sc400 and they last 100k W/O any issues.. my techna fits looks dusted on my speed6 after 40k.. its just my op...
The Techna-Fits for our '04-'06 RA come with plastic sleeving so the braided stainless doesn't rub anywhere, all washers and clips, and are exact plug-n-play fits for all four corners. No issues. Plus they are made in USA, which is good too. I don't know how these could ever fail or wear out. Just sharing my experience...
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:12 PM

I'll try to post pix of the cracked plastic on my techna fits.. But, they didn't last for **** on my speed6.. Both the clear liner and black pieces cracked apart.. They worked for a while, but not like the good ridge lines, Just my op..
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by markspd6
I'll try to post pix of the cracked plastic on my techna fits.. But, they didn't last for **** on my speed6.. Both the clear liner and black pieces cracked apart.. They worked for a while, but not like the good ridge lines, Just my op..
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check when I've got the car on the hoist soon.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have read online accounts of braided lines cracking and bursting too. I cannot say for a given brand. One key issue seems to be that some are intended for race cars and such with a view that they are replaced each season, so they do not suit us that like to fit it and forget it. (Not to mention not being made of money)
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:23 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like I said I've had rrms ss set for over 6 years with no issues.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

In case of one braided section failing I'd just replace that particular bit with the stock hose (I saved them), which seem quite robust and stiff for OEM
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:09 PM

well looks like goodridge doesnt have anything for my RA, so i grabbed some techna fits from Mike@road race, well see how they hold up.. im sure theyll help keep the brakes firm..

Last edited by markspd6; Feb 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
why did you go through rrm? should've contacted technafit directly. they probably would've given you a better price which is what i did
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Raikiri
why did you go through rrm? should've contacted technafit directly. they probably would've given you a better price which is what i did
its called customer loyalty, mike does me alot of favors and answers all my questions, to go into his shop where he pays rent and ask about all this crap, then go online to another dealer to save a couple bux would be pretty screwed.. besides, he knows im super cheap and he makes plenty of deals. you cant always post lower sale prices than a distributor wants..

Quick Reply: brakes for daily driver