Notices
08+ Lancer Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Questions about Tinting Windows

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2009, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Tinting Windows

First post here, thanks for all your advice beforehand.

My wife & I just bought a Black '09 Lancer ES 5-speed. We went with the ES instead of the ES Sport because it was a manual, and because we live in a crappy town w/ crappy roads & didn't want the front end of the car ripped off like happened to her '02 Eclipse.

As far as mods go, I'm totally for everything I've seen on the board... black rims, Evo license plate bracket, exhaust tip, new speakers & a small add-on sub, vortex generator... Nothing that would actually improve the, ya know, *performance* of the car or anything, but would make it the most badass looking economy sedan in South Dakota.

As far as what she'll ACTUALLY let me do... I'm pretty sure she'll let me tint the windows. I've gone over all the benefits (cooler car on a hot day, not feeling like you're driving in a fishbowl, UV protection, glare) but she's still unsure about it.

Bottom line is she only wants the dealership to touch the car.

QUESTION1 - I know enough to know that getting the $50 tint job from Bobs Backyard Tint-O-Rama is a bad idea, but how should I decide where to get the work done? Go to the shop that only tints windows? Go to a reputible auto-body shop? Relent & pay the dealership to do it?

QUESTION 2 - What kinds of tint are available? I've done a little bit of research, and it looks like there's a dozen kinds of tint that make a dozen different claims. Is there any ACTUAL difference between two different tints, or is it all marketing?

QUESTION 3 - What kind of warranty should I expect? If I get it done at a local place I want to make sure that if it bubbles or chips or whatever that they'll redo it. Is that unreasonable? Do shops guarantee their work for a month, year, 5 years, life of the car?

Thanks for the advice ahead of time.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

we in toronto use a brand called SolarGard , if u find an authorized dealer it's warrantied for life. if it bubbles or discolours they'll redo it. it cost me about 180CDN
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:33 AM

I think some places will guarantee their work.

If you let the dealer do it, they wont always do the best job. Im sure they have somone on staff who would tint the windows (and do alarms and such as well), but not always the best tint job.
Besides, sometimes teh tint job is contracted out to a 3rd party company that does window tiniting anyways, such as what I have heard they do here in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
The dealers are usually way too busy to handle the job, so they contract it out.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

remember tint scratches real bad with all the 08+ lancer/evos
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mmartahus
remember tint scratches real bad with all the 08+ lancer/evos

tintprotector.com

its something..better than nothing. I bought it, now just have to get my windows tinted..real soon!

They say to install the moleskin (tintprotector.com) after the tint job is done!

So here, legal limits are: 50% front doors, and 35% for the back doors and windows....
Is this dark enough, or shoudl I go darker all the way around...like 35% or 30% all the way around?

Im juts worried about being pulled over if they wanna be sticky....
You see DARK tints here all the time, and I think ppl are ok and cops dont pull them over for it but....???
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by absolute
we in toronto use a brand called SolarGard , if u find an authorized dealer it's warrantied for life. if it bubbles or discolours they'll redo it. it cost me about 180CDN
Cant go wrong with Solarguard. for life time warranty.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

An important safety tip... I have a few friends who are cops, and if you ever do get pulled over and you have tinted windows.. Always, and I do mean always, roll down all windows (assuming it's not raining of freezing out) when you get pulled over.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by RTW EVO
An important safety tip... I have a few friends who are cops, and if you ever do get pulled over and you have tinted windows.. Always, and I do mean always, roll down all windows (assuming it's not raining of freezing out) when you get pulled over.
What does that accomplish tho?>
Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by J09GTSGraphite
tintprotector.com

its something..better than nothing. I bought it, now just have to get my windows tinted..real soon!

They say to install the moleskin (tintprotector.com) after the tint job is done!
Do they have to remove the door panels to put that stuff on?

If so I might wait until I get speakers & do it all at once.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Allows more light to enter the car making it look not so dark. If you get within legal limits you should be fine

Originally Posted by test4eric
Do they have to remove the door panels to put that stuff on?

If so I might wait until I get speakers & do it all at once.
I dont think the tint guys would do speakers as well, the door panels are very easy to remove, there is a how to somewhere in this section.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

When a cop can't see inside the car, it makes them nervous and think you are trying to hide something... Trust me the last thing you want to do is make a cop nervous.

If you really want to be on the safe side, you should also take your keys out of the ignition and place them on your dashboard.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RTW EVO
When a cop can't see inside the car, it makes them nervous and think you are trying to hide something... Trust me the last thing you want to do is make a cop nervous.

If you really want to be on the safe side, you should also take your keys out of the ignition and place them on your dashboard.
Are the cops that nervous in Jersey? Maybe you should stick your hands out the window next time get out and lie down on the ground.

You: "Dont shoot im unarmed"
Cop: "WTF, its just a speeding ticket"

Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Go to some shop that sells vinyl, sign or auto glasses, they usually do tint or go to your dealer and ask them for referral.

My dealer doesn't tint windows, but they referred me to a local shop.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:36 PM

Cool!

Ye I think our dealers refer for tint to a 3rd party company as well.

There is a HOw To on here somewhere for moleskin i think...
the whole door panel doesnt need to be removed to do it....I think juts the top portion of the door panel....where the door handle is...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

yea some shop about stickers should be fine.
bought my car with tints on allready but theyre pretty scratch and actually to dark for the law lol
gotta get new ones

Quick Reply: Questions about Tinting Windows