Notices
08+ Lancer Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Just bought my first lancer :)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Just bought my first lancer :)

hello there, im new to the sight but have recently been reading up on a lot of threads and this looked like a very helpful community so i joined well as the title says, i officially just purchased my first car. i recently purchased a 2010 lancer DE. the quick story behind it is i was in the process of shopping for a mazda rx-8. i found many that were low mileage, and in the price range that i was looking for, but i could not get financed because of the fact that im 19. well this led to that, and with out even looking into buying a mitsubishi, being the fact it was brand new, even though i really liked the lancer series, i finaly signed the papers on a lancer! so with that out of the way, i know everybody knows what they look like but oh well...

i know its the base model, but its the best i could do.. so with that said, now its time for the upgrading!!!

the first two upgrades will get rid of that wimpy buzz of an engine so i am looking into getting an exhaust. right now my thoughts are the greddy spectrum elite se cat-back exhaust..
http://autocityimports.com/2008-mits...iv-p-8321.html
and i dont know whether i want to go with the AEM CAI, injen CAI, or the takeda SRI.
http://www.aemintakes.com/store/Default.aspx
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain
http://customizemyevo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=544
as of right now i am leaning towards the takeda because im looking for more bottom/mid power, and it looks like it has a VERY effective system of seperating the hot air from the engine bay from the air supplied by the air coming from the grill. i am offcourse to other ideas regarding both the exhaust and air intake. as for the exhaust im looking for something with a low pitch noise, want it to sound semi stock, kind of like a mustang gt, but with a 4 cylinder, no coffee cans!!!

as for future upgrades, here is my building list.
-power pro stage module by RRM
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...roducts_id=425
-RRM aluminum crank pulley
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...roducts_id=337
-piggy back ecu by RRM
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...products_id=70
-RRM side mount license plate
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...roducts_id=412
-aluminum fuel door
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...roducts_id=519

and as of now, one more thing that i can remember. i want to get the RRM fiberglass front lip..
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/s...roducts_id=536
but the only question i have about it, that im sure you all might be able to answer is will this fit even though my car does not have the extra peices of side trim on the bumper, directly under the fog light area? or will it look strange and tacky?

well its a work in progress but it should turn out to be very night once its done. once spring comes along i will be adding some 19" rims, which i dont know but i will keep you updated. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much.
Matt
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:16 AM

http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=738

Here is a website that has some stuff, the Evo side license plate kit is cheaper her than RRM i think, i got mine from RRM for like $80 shipped. I didnt look around so i payed for that, learned my lesson. always look around before buying. You can always get it cheaper.

ive heard the Injen CAI was the best intake but that was for the '09 2.4L. I have the RRM and it adds a louder engine sound at higher RPMS.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats on the new ride. Looking forward to see updated pics later on
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CONGRATS on the new car and the ralliart tails and flatblack de grill (what everyone wants ) oh and shorter antenna.

ok first off the greddy SE is a great Exhaust its perfect from what i hear.

since you have the 2.0l engine i would go with takeda SRI, the injen cai only benefits alot on the 2.4l engine

check out some MSR wheels they ahve expensive good looking wheels

all the mods from RRM are not that bad but I dont have any personal experience with them.

Good luck with everything and welcome

oh and if you want body kit stuff (side skirts , front air dams, spoiler , vortex generator) check out

www.x-factordesign.com also check out ARS over on 9glancers . com
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Double post

Last edited by s84kam; Jan 20, 2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Double post
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:49 AM

Congrats! I like how they made the side skirts standard on the DE's for 2010.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bmoresauter13
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/?section=738

Here is a website that has some stuff, the Evo side license plate kit is cheaper her than RRM i think, i got mine from RRM for like $80 shipped. I didnt look around so i payed for that, learned my lesson. always look around before buying. You can always get it cheaper.

ive heard the Injen CAI was the best intake but that was for the '09 2.4L. I have the RRM and it adds a louder engine sound at higher RPMS.
thanks for that!

and ok i think i will go with the takeda intake then, i have heard a lot of good reviews, and they guarentee 6-7+ hp & tq. and its not to expensive. i was thinking about making one my self, but i figured i would do it right the first time and just a proffesional one.

i did forget to mention i do plan on blacking out the middle seperator peice on the bumper, which would you advise i do though, sand, prime and paint it a matte back myself.. or just pay to have it done? its a little expnsive but i also want to have it look good, unlss its not hard to do yourself, then i will take upon the challange. and as fr wheels, i would really like to get some 19" matte black rims any other suggestions on those? its winter right now like i said so i have plenty of time untill spring to save a little. oh and one other thing i am looking at, i want to put a rear wing on, not the evo, thats a little to much. but maybe like the gts or ralliart? if there the same? suggestions?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mattypants
thanks for that!

and ok i think i will go with the takeda intake then, i have heard a lot of good reviews, and they guarentee 6-7+ hp & tq. and its not to expensive. i was thinking about making one my self, but i figured i would do it right the first time and just a proffesional one.

i did forget to mention i do plan on blacking out the middle seperator peice on the bumper, which would you advise i do though, sand, prime and paint it a matte back myself.. or just pay to have it done? its a little expnsive but i also want to have it look good, unlss its not hard to do yourself, then i will take upon the challange. and as fr wheels, i would really like to get some 19" matte black rims any other suggestions on those? its winter right now like i said so i have plenty of time untill spring to save a little. oh and one other thing i am looking at, i want to put a rear wing on, not the evo, thats a little to much. but maybe like the gts or ralliart? if there the same? suggestions?
i bought a vinyl and just put that on it, its a cheap way to do it and can always go back to stock color if you wanted.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i see you got some plans for it, if you want to start with performance let me suggest some things for you.

1. Dont waste your money on the piggy back and timimg module from RRM, you cant even use both of them together (you'll mess up your car) and both of them give very minimal to no gain (theres been threads with it being tested) for the amount that your going to pay for those 2 parts alone you can get the works flash, which gives you around 15whp which is a lot better than the gains you would yield before. also, dont go with the SRI all those things do is make noise, if you want performance go with the INJEN Cai. its the best decision. crank pully meh if you want to go ahead and get it i dont have much of a say but theres been reports of oil leaks after installing it (was supposedly fixed with the v2 release)

when you chose to go with looks i would look at different things before you pull the trigger on a lip. most of the designs of parts out there are designed for the GTS or an ES with a GTS kit on it. starting to throw these CF pieces or lips on a stock DE is going to look pretty out of place. if i were you i would start with maybe the GTS front air dams and side skirts, then get you some new wheels and get rid of the hub caps and then a drop and then start messing with the cosmetic stuff such as CF goodies and all.

just some suggestions though. starting with a DE is going to be a LOT of work to make it look nice and just few people that own them really know how to make them look nice. i havent seen one yet so change my mind!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:48 AM

well this is the 2010 de, so its already comes with the gts side skirts. i already have plans on buying the air dams. like i said wheels will be coming some time in april/may. its winter and i live in iowa. stupid to buy them now. as for the intake, i want the short ram because i live in a heavy snow and rain area. in fact its sleeting right tis second. another thing to think about is generally the tube inside the engine bay leading to the manifold that carries the air, regardless sri or cai, will get hot and heat up the air going in anyways, of course the cai will supply cooler air to the engine than the sri, but there will be little difference with a 2.0l . the point of an intake is to rid the intake of all the resonators and blockages the hod up air from reaching the enine smoothly, and sri's and cai's both do that.

and thanks for the advise on the rrm modules. i read some good reviews so i assumed they were quality products. so if i skip on those and decide to go with the ecu flash, how do i get that done?

i don think i am going to put any CF on the car, not big on that stuff. and im not intested in dropping the car as of right now. because i dont want to deal with one day needing to roll the fenders. i don know how much that is but i cant imagine its cheap...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bmoresauter13
i bought a vinyl and just put that on it, its a cheap way to do it and can always go back to stock color if you wanted.

do that or plasti dip both are cheap and can be taking off if you dont like it. painting the car is somthing that might cost a bit if you pay some one to do it and if you do it your self you take the risk of messing it up and will be tuff to fix just my .02 cents i plasti dipped mine its held for a year with no signs of problems
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:14 AM

ok cool, that was goin to be one of the first things i did as an exterior upgrade, was to plasti dip the bumper, i have seen pics of the vinyl and i think it look like crap. so whenever there is a nice day or i can find a garage to do it in i will.

will adding headers and a down tube do much performance or sound wise? i was thinking the rrm ones off he top of my head, eventually i want to put the ralliart bumper on the back with a custom dual tip exhaust. but for right now wil those two accessories so much?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

make sure u take the time to tape it all off oh and a tip that i found helpfull is to have a outer layer of tap to peal off as soon as you finsh spraying bc if u let it dry and then peal the tape well it will be all jacked up
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:01 PM

yea i know, i am big into painting stuff. you need the sacond layer because plasti dip is a very rubbery spray. so if you spray 5 layers and try to take of the tape it will most likely begin to peal off the wanted paint. if you take off each layer of tape for each layer of paint sprayed, then it will not have the bonding strength to peal of the wanted spray.

anybody have info on the headers and down pipe?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:02 PM

congratulations

Quick Reply: Just bought my first lancer :)