Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Edmunds FULL TEST: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also to add food for thought,
when u think about it, if a loaded GTS can keep up and be cheaper, wouldnt it be better to get the GTS and add an aftermarket turbo kit with the difference u save in prices between the RA. also maybe leave room for a LSD and some bride seats.(ok maybe the seats will cost a little more)

tho u dont get the awd advantage.
the RA aftermarket better pickup quick after the release or initial sales will be terrible
Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I love how a few months ago everyone was saying that the car was going to annihilate the WRX and make Subaru wish it was dead. Anyways, reviews are but one small part of the real story. As far as we know, the car could just need a retune or a better set of tires/sway bars and all of the sudden it's a completely different beast.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by He15man
Better off with a Volkswagen GTI.

0-60 in 7 seconds

Cost about 3-5k less

gets 22mpg city 29 highway

and thats with the DSG transmission
Yea if you wanted an even larger piece of **** to drive around.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

And if the general public keeps crying over there not being a 5spd then get a GSR and stop the whining. The SST is superior, End of story lol. Every single review from a variety of people including transmission companies rated this SST the top "manumatic auto manny w/e the hell u wanna call it tranny".
Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

? The GTI has won numerous awards and is regularly heralded as a great FWD performance car.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TruboPower
And if the general public keeps crying over there not being a 5spd then get a GSR and stop the whining. The SST is superior, End of story lol. Every single review from a variety of people including transmission companies rated this SST the top "manumatic auto manny w/e the hell u wanna call it tranny".
Not to pick at old wounds, but the SST is not superior, in order for that to be true, it would need to be better at everything which it clearly is not.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dklau33
Interesting to read the comments that could possibly explain the poor performance numbers. Sounds like the tires got a lot of blame. Are the Yoko Advan A10's really that bad? Definitely undersized for such a heavy car though. Too bad the RA is limited with how wide you can go with tires.

My thoughts exactly. The tires were really made to be the scapegoat in this article. So exactly how wide of tires can we put on the RA before rolling the fenders?

As far as the MSRP estimates they give remember they're just that, estimates. Nothing definitive is in writing yet as to where this car will start but you shouldn't be paying MSRP anyway, you have to haggle with your dealers people. Make them sweat, make them **** blood, remember they're salesman, they're the scum of the Earth, I know first hand, I am one.

Seriously though you have to remember that this car is coming out in the fall. That's not exactly car buying season especially for those of us in the snow states. Car sales are slow during this time of the year so when you go into the dealership and the sales guys are sitting around watching YouTube you shouldn't be paying anywhere near what they're asking.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

The tires aren't that bad, imagine what the car would have done if it had all-seasons on it. I suspect that the vast majority of the problem is simply the weight of the car, 3600 lbs isn't light or nimble by any stretch. As for getting the car under MSRP, considering what dealers are doing with the evo (anywhere from 5000$ to 10000$ markup), I doubt they'll let it go for anything less than MSRP on the dot.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
? The GTI has won numerous awards and is regularly heralded as a great FWD performance car.
Yet its still a pos. lol... ive owned a ms3 for a while now and driven a gti as well for some time and its nothing compared to it.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Crazyitalian041
Yet its still a pos. lol... ive owned a ms3 for a while now and driven a gti as well for some time and its nothing compared to it.
Hey dude I remember you from M3F.com!

Anyways...exactly the GTI may be a good car but with the MS3 now out there fighting I think all the car magazines and reviewers would take the MS3 over the GTI in the FWD sector. But to compare the GTI and the RA makes no sense....compare the R32 and RA for awd performance....then the R32 is the price of an Evo so I would think the RA would be the better bang for your buck.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

And it's a massive metal turd just like every other VW. People for some reason still don't understand that european cars suck. The GTI is not a good car. Performance is a small part of a good car.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure there are people who would say the MS3 is a "pos" considering some of the issues people have complained about. At the end of the day though it still wins awards much like the VW.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

LOL exactly they all have issues. Every car has "issues". I actually never had issues in my MS3 and I had about $5k in mods in it and putting down around 315-330hp...But I just think the GTI is not the best performance car for the money. And shouldn't be compared to the RA.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:23 PM

It is a pos, im one of the people who had the "issues" haha. The ms3 cant handle aftermarket mods at all. But yes they both win awards.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:46 PM
Account Disabled

The tires aren't that bad, imagine what the car would have done if it had all-seasons on it. I suspect that the vast majority of the problem is simply the weight of the car, 3600 lbs isn't light or nimble by any stretch. As for getting the car under MSRP, considering what dealers are doing with the evo (anywhere from 5000$ to 10000$ markup), I doubt they'll let it go for anything less than MSRP on the dot.
The tires are not bad. They are actually good for their width. They are made with a stickier compound than the Evo X's tire.

The problem here is not having the appropriate width for the tires' for the car's weight to achieve performance above a GTS and below an Evo X. It does not have enough width to even compensate for it's weight. The tires are the same width as the GTS tires. That's just retarded. Judging from the widest tires you can put in the GTS, the widest you can put in the stock fenders without rolling them should be 235/40R/18 tires for the RA. The person with those tires had WORKS springs that had a 1.1 inch drop. He had no rubbing issues even during autocross conditions. The RA really needs the wide body on the X.

The RA also does not have launch control, that's a big reason for the crappy straight line numbers.

Quick Reply: Edmunds FULL TEST: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart