Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

This car is quick off the line...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol, okay thank you Sith, I will remember that next time I got my foot on the gas. Last question (I think...) when I floor it in Sport/Manual Mode, a couple times I forgot to shift and it seemed like it over reved near 7K and then the rev limiter went on, then when I shifted it like jerked the car as it shifted gears, why is that? What was happening?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Last question (I think...) when I floor it in Sport/Manual Mode, a couple times I forgot to shift and it seemed like it over reved near 7K and then the rev limiter went on, then when I shifted it like jerked the car as it shifted gears, why is that? What was happening?
What is happening is that you are abusing the **** out of your car! OP, I'm not trying to be rude, but your can't expect to red line your car and keep pushing it like this without consequences. You may not have burned out your clutches yet, but it sounds like you are on the path to seriously shortening the life of your transmission, and engine for that matter.

If you feel the need to launch your car and run it into the red line do so sparingly, there is little reason to push your car beyond simple Sport/Automatic Mode to achieve good speed. Most MR owners here will tell you S-Sport Mode (which shifts closer to red line) is usually reserved for the track. In fact AMS keeps their RA in Sport/Automatic mode when racing the 1/4 mile, even when launching, and they have had great results.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Haha yeah I know, I only did this stuff all like once or twice to experiment with the car. Thanks for all of your help Sith, I won't let off the gas anymore when shifting, I won't Power Brake unless completely needed, and I won't go past redline when manual shifting. Thank you for all the information.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rams3234
And you turn the TSC off and put it in Sport mode too? And no slow down thing? What RPM's do you launch at?
yea thats exactly what i do and i launch at 3000-3100 somewhere around there
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Menendez, the "Slow Down" thing happens if you DON'T launch, like if you let it keep going up, after like 4K RPM it like quickly Rev's up, says that, and goes into a 3 second limp mode.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

I think what is too bad is that many owners have no idea how to drive a stick, or what it's even like. It would help a few of these guys understand whats going on with the R/A a bit better, and even how to use it properly.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 09:25 AM

sounds like a GTR tranny issue coming soon lol
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:54 AM

im new to driving an even somewhat "manual" car (09 ralliart) i just wanted to make sure driving it like my old automatic..daewoo...is okay for the tranny? and not somehow secretly destroying her
things like coasting to stops (heard that was bad?)
and just having my foot steady on the gas pedal until i hit D6 even though im only going 30, all kosher? or no?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

I think what is too bad is that many owners have no idea how to drive a stick, or what it's even like. It would help a few of these guys understand whats going on with the R/A a bit better, and even how to use it properly.
^ This!

I have experience with both manual and automatic and this transmission has some odd characteristics. I have about 1300 miles behind the wheel and I'm still working on my driving technique with this car. Of course it doesn't help that it's also my first turbo. Experience with turboed cars would be good as well.

having my foot steady on the gas pedal until i hit D6 even though im only going 30, all kosher? or no?
It's not quite that bad but yes, it's fine. I usually hit 6th gear at about 40 mph. It's just the way Mitsu geared the car. 1-4 are really low with 5-6 being much higher. They did it to save on gas and get better mpg. while still having power on the low end.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rams3234
Okay so today I was experimenting with my '09 RA and I was reading up on the X's launch control. I figured I'd give it a try so I took the ASC off and I put it in Sport mode. I floored the gas and brake. Then the revs went up and up and then all of the sudden it started to rev up near the 6-7K's and the car said like "Slow Down" or something of that sort. Then I tried again except this time when the revs hit like 3K I let go of the brake and VROOM off I went, my head back in the seat, it was awesome. Could anyone explain to me what happened the first time I tried and it over-reved and said "Slow Down"? Also is there a "perfect" way to do this type of launch, like is there a certain RPM I should let the brake go at?

you should read your manual first.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DarkSoldier246
im new to driving an even somewhat "manual" car (09 ralliart) i just wanted to make sure driving it like my old automatic..daewoo...is okay for the tranny? and not somehow secretly destroying her
things like coasting to stops (heard that was bad?)
and just having my foot steady on the gas pedal until i hit D6 even though im only going 30, all kosher? or no?

What's important to understand is that the car is always in one gear or another. That means that when you're doing 45mph, and you let off the gas pedal, instead of the engine turning the wheels, the momentum of the car is turning the engine (above idle rpm). Like in a regular manual car, this is referred to as engine braking. Why? Because making the engine spin faster than the throttle dictates takes energy. Nothing wrong with engine braking, and in fact, it's desirable sometimes.

Another thing you should keep in mind is that the gas pedal isn't directly connected to the throttle - but instead goes through a computer. So when you step on the gas, the computer is just reading how much your foot is pressing it, then based on a bunch of other parameters, determines how much it should open the throttle, then it finally sends the appropriate signal to an electric motor which actually does the throttle movement. What's my point? Well, when you tell the car to shift (in manual mode), or the transmission computer decides to shift on it's own (auto mode), it looks at all the various sensors, including the one on the gas pedal, and figures out the appropriate way to shift - based on how everything is currently running, and the way it thinks you want it to. So, if you're flooring it, and you tap the paddles to shift, but at the same time, take your foot off the pedal, the computer might assume you're not trying to accelerate as hard anymore. It tries to shift appropriately, just to have you mash on the gas again - if I was a computer, I'd be confused too. The car doesn't need you to take your foot off the gas, because the computer is what's really making the throttle move anyways. Think about it this way: the gas pedal in the R/A is just a way of telling the car how "determined" you are to accelerate - the more you press, the more the computer tries to make you go faster - it'll do all the dirty work behind the scene for you.

What about the clunking noises you hear when it's shifting gears sometimes? Well, inside the transmission is all metal of one type or another? What happens when you hit metal on other metal? It make noise, sometimes A LOT. Is this bad when the SST does it? Most likely not any worse then a regular manual does. Just like in a regular manual, sometimes it takes a decent amount of effort to get it in gear - especially first. When it finally does, it might make a clunking sound. In the case of automated manuals like DSGs and SSTs, there's no linkage to your hand - which in a standard manual might help to dampen the noise. So everything that happens in a standard manual is happening in an SST, there's just nothing to absorb the sound. It's all good, though.

Sith, yeah turbo 4-cylinders are a whole different type of beast. Very unique feel, and definitely different from an N/A 4, 6, or 8 cyl.

One last thing, while I don't know if it really matters, I prefer not to run a 4-cyl at less than 1,500rpm at any speed more than 5 or so mph. It feels like it's ******* the car too much. If you also don't prefer to have your car run at such a low rpm when driving, you'll probably have to put it in manual mode to keep it in the appropriate gear.

Last edited by madcows; Jun 7, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

^ very informational post on how the SST tranny actually works. As for "engine braking", it is always good cuz it helps prolong your brakes (since you won't use it as much)... and I heard it also prolongs your engine's life since it creates a "reverse" pressure in the internals and actually helps the lifespan of rings, seals, etc... provided you don't downshift at really high RPMs as this can instead destroy the whole engine/drivetrain.

This is the biggest advantage of the SST system cuz it offers the best of both worlds (manual & automatic). It is essentially a manual tranny, but the clutch pedal is taken out of the driver's control and is now in the "hands" of the car's electronic control system. Perfect for those drivers who are not used to true manuals (or avoid the hassles when in traffic, etc.), but want a driving experience that yields the same mechanical feel and power. Engine braking is also a benefit that can be used with this new sophisticated tranny.

EDIT: gawd, I want a ralliart now for my wife haha of course that's not going to happen. She tried driving the X couple of times, and liked it... but couldn't release the clutch well from a dead stop.

Last edited by tipoytm; Jun 7, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Excellent post Madcows. In fact engine braking has become a major factor in my driving technique. I would say that I have cut my brake pedal use by 75%, no kidding.