Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Winter 2009, Harsh Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine happened a few times when it was in the 50s, but now that it is in the 10s and 20s it hasn't happened in a month or so! Sucks that this is such a common problem and Mitsu has not offered any sort of solution. =/

-Taranis
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

i've never had this problem, and have had plenty 0C or less starts and even ones after heavy rain. The reason I am posting is b/c I have the canadian ralliart trim. Could there be something fundamentally different in the build of US vs canadian trims that prevents this from being an issue for me? I thought it could be helpful for you guys to consider
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:58 AM
Account Disabled

-10 degrees here this morning and the car didn't want to start but when it did I got some horrible noises coming from the engine bay for about 10 seconds. Sounded AWFUL! Metal grinding on metal so something. After it warmed up it ran fine but now I have a horrendous rattle coming from the engine bay or behind the dash. Either way I'm going to take it in to have it checked out. No warning lights or anything YET.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 09:29 AM
tre
Evolving Member

-28C today. parked in unheated garage. fired right up for me this morning.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:26 PM
C H
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tre
Good to hear, don't want to be stranded with my new car due to cold weather . Even my TDI started everyday last year and it was -50!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tre
Region: Minot, North Dakota
Date: 12/10/2009
Time: 12:12am

Climate Conditions:
Clear Sky's
Altitude: ~508ft
Temp: -37°F ( -38.3°C)
Humidity: 72%
Air pressure: 30.1 in

Modifications:
Stock

Parked in a parking lot exposed to elements

Ive noticed in these extreme conditions that im in that my car is still starting and i have a 2009 Ralliart. I don't know what is causing the delayed cranks in other cars when the weather is above freezing. I know that in the manual it states that you should run the car for 10- 15 minuets before driving. I know this is to warm the transmission, and Ive also noticed in these extreme temperatures that it cranks about 4 times before it starts.

After listening to all of the sounds of my car multiple times Ive came to some slight conclusion... I think that since that transmission is freezing up that the car is having a hard time starting. Reason, the transmission whines when its started and the whine goes away after about 7 minuets of being ran. I got under my car and everything to listen to the sound.

Now Ive thought about getting a block heater and a car starter because of how cold it is where im at, but the block heater would just warm the block up and not necessarily make it easier for it to start (with my problem) So im going to be getting a car starter installed soon.

However i know that in these extreme conditions (just going to get worse for me ) that people clutch's (on manual cars) will break the head gasket when just starting sometimes or will freeze together (if left in first).
- Note: Co-workers car was a 2009 this past winter that it happened to. It was a Ford ranger.

Now with our transmission does anyone know the possibility of the cold breaking it? I know that its a new technology and not much people might know. Does anyone know if the warranty covers the transmission from breaking from cold because i know other warranties don't. Because im sure if it hasnt happened to anyone yet, it probably will happen to me.. If not the guy that live north of me in Winnipeg ( sometime warmer than here though )
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:43 PM
tre
Evolving Member

i plan to swap out to 5w20 synthetic shortly. as well i was planning a VW style block heater. stick on heating pad basically. i think i may put that on the tranny pan to keep that fluid warm. i'm not as worried about the synthetic motor oil gumming up as much as the trans.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 05:04 AM

RA started right up for this morning. Key on key on than tapped the gas paddle and it fired right up. Temp outside 27F. My drive way has a small incline.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tre
i plan to swap out to 5w20 synthetic shortly. as well i was planning a VW style block heater. stick on heating pad basically. i think i may put that on the tranny pan to keep that fluid warm. i'm not as worried about the synthetic motor oil gumming up as much as the trans.
dont go 5w20, go 0w30 if anything
Old Dec 9, 2009, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends because 5w20 is better of fuel economy and longer driving if ever intended, i know im taking a few trips this winter so 5w20 is better than 0w30 in that case.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 06:02 PM
C H
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by laksman91
dont go 5w20, go 0w30 if anything

Agreed, 0W30 is both better for the car and starting. The first number is the viscosity cold and the other number is for hot. You want that protection when running a turbo.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

^ You see the likes of 5W20 on like Corollas, Civics, Mazda3s that don't need the thicker oil. The turbo adds the need for the greater weight in my opinion, and the manual says 0W30 in certain lower temperatures will be fine
Old Dec 10, 2009, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Freakin' cold out this morning, grabbing my video camera on my way to start the car. I'll post results if she doesn't start up right away...

as far as oil goes, I'm switching to 0w30 synth. in about 100 miles. I'm running 5w30 synth in the sunny weather, but with MI winters I figure 0w will help. One dealer tried to put in 5w20 mineral once (this is why I don't go to the dealer anymore) and that was a no-go for me.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

I don't own a raliart, however I do have the same problems with my X, not as of late though.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:01 PM

Looks like I am adding my car to this list of cars having bad startups. I live in brooklyn ny. went out to start my car one cold morning, turned the key and heard a clicking noise. tried it a second time and heard the crank trying to turn over but not catching. tried it the third time with my foot on the gas and it started normally. I think The car was just not getting enough air to turn over. or it could be a computer problem...not sure. I am looking into it right now. will update if i find anything.

Quick Reply: Winter 2009, Harsh Starting Issues