Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

upgrade the RA or just save up for an EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is if you consider generic stuff like gauges, racing seats, wheels, wtc.

but car sponsorships.com is a scam at best so telling her where to go was indeed a good idea.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by xdmitrix
Well - I have some money coming my way.... right now I own the RA, and if I did upgrade to the EVO I'd want to go with the MR, not the GSR mainly because I prefer the automatic transmission. I do a lot of city driving and the manual would be a PITA.

It's tempting to do some hardcore saving and go with the EVO MR, but with it comes higher insurance etc, and I'd be using it as my DD so i'm not sure how practical it really is for that purpose. I also do a lot of long distance driving.

Then again I'm pretty happy with the Ralliart, I like everything about it, it just feels a little 'heavy' and 'bogged down' in hard cornering, so if I kept it I might just do some addons like buy forged rims which greatly improved the performance on my last car.

Anyone get really nice forged wheels for their RA, any improvement?.
If you can afford an EVO MR, I'd say go for it. Only reason I don't have one is because my wife doesn't think it's necessary (It was hard enough to convince her to let me trade my GTS in for the RA). You also have to think about the inequity you have in your RA if you currently have a loan, being upside down going into a larger loan is a horrible idea, IMO.

I can't imagine the insurance would be that much higher, considering it's still a turbocharged AWD sedan with a pretty nice array of safety features (7 air bags, ABS, etc) The biggest change in the insurance premium will be due to a higher loan. Personally, I pay $104/month for my RA, and I was quoted about $150 for an Evo MR awhile back.

But if you're only thinking of doing minor stuff to the RA (Styling, intake, exhaust, wheels, etc.) then keep it... Otherwise, get an Evo and tune the S*** out of that.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 03:09 PM
Account Disabled

For daily driving the Ralliart is just a better choice. In MOST driving situations it's too close to the Evo performance to justify the extra 12K in price.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xi
How could I have missed this, of course. The reason why we all bought the RA is because we're too poor and can't afford to be able to buy the Evo.
Yup, the fact that I have owned 4 EVO's over the past 6 years, as well as a 3000GT VR-4 Spyder means I am too poor, and had to buy a Ralliart instead of another EVO....

To me, it is more of a challenge to get great performance out of the Ralliart Sportback. I currently (to the best of my knowledge, correct me if I am wrong) own the fastest STOCK TURBO Ralliart (12.9059 at 104.23).... followed very closely by AMS's shop car before they upgraded the turbo. This is on 95% Buschur Racing parts. I plan on sticking with the stock turbo and seeing how far it can be pushed.... which means I will be a record holder rather than an "also ran"

Keith
Old Nov 26, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

I said that bc if your thinking of upgrading than you can afford it
Old Nov 26, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

I say if you can fork the money mod the RA and make it lighter and faster. I've put a lot of money so far into my car and its a huge difference from stock. X turbo, 3" turbo back exhaust, Rota DPT 18x 9.5 on kumho ecsta ast, short ram intake, and WORKS tune. These mods make a world of difference.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 09:16 PM

I personally would go for an Evo, but you might take a big hit getting rid of the Ralliart so eh..
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

To be honest, if I was able to get a similar "killer deal" on a Ralliart before pulling the trigger on my X, I would have easily opt for an RA. But they didn't offer anywhere near as good on the last RA they had on their inventory... so that's why I went with the X.

I think you should keep your Ralliart, unless you can find a dealer that will offer a crazy price on an MR & high trade for your car.

Last edited by tipoytm; Nov 30, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 03:44 PM

I'd keep the RA and upgrade it, rather than switch to the Evo (for the additional $10K). Don't forget that you'd eat depreciation and repay sales tax depending on which state you're in (which is just a waste). I imagine a few mods (like those previously mentioned: tune, tires, and maybe suspension) would bring noticeable performance to the daily driver.

Like others I miss the 5sp manual trans, but I've gotten accustomed to the TC-SST. It is a little crazy how quickly it shifts. Hopefully Mitsu will offer a 5-speed option down the road which won't have the sticker schock of an Evo upgrade. That's my vote.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've come to the same fork in the road, mod or upgrade. I would upgrade but I don't won't to take the hit in the loss of value on the RA. The other problem is it would be difficult to buy a private owner's X (much cheaper way to go IMO) which I want to do, without selling mine for a sharp discount. I'm stuck with the RA. But, I'm happy with it for now. Insurance is lower, fueling it up is on par with my old V6 car I had before, and it's a more forgiving daily driver. If I had the opportunity to do it all over I would have gotten the X if it was slightly used, priced below a new RA with all the extras(hard to find). I look forward to modding.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Your question is making it seem that your RA is not capable of being better than an Evo, which is just wrong. You can build your RA, like I am to surpass an Evo 10 since thats what your after, the power of an Evo 10. The Evo 10 is just all talk, at least with the RA you can say "hey I built this power" but if you buy and Evo you just saying your some rich kid who took is fathers money and bought this power, and don't even know your way around the engine, and all you can point out is the BOV and the Turbo in the back... For me I'd say "Screw Evo 10 I'll build a Ra to surpass one" beside the lose in money associated with Evo isn't worth it, since you can use that money for mods to build your Ra with it. Remember our cars are not like the 06-10 Eclipses, I had an 08 Gs eclipse spyder, and with my experience with it there was no way to compete between the GS and the GT, first there was no community support from companies for products and simply put the Gs was just to save gas, that's why i traded it in sux'd up the lose difference and going to build this up as much as possible, with the help of AMS products, love those guy's work KEEP IT UP GUYS!!!!!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Yep agreed. Look at Bryan from GSTs post on his project RA. He did one tune, 93 octane, no boost pill, bone stock, and put up the same base numbers of an EVO X mr. With that being said, whats the point? One tune...lower that suspension...lighter wheels and wider tires.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

i would stick with RA for couples of years before moving onto Evo X .. yes the MR is the top-notch mitsu sport car .. but the RA is enough for everything i do (i dun track/drag/autox the car) ...

If you can "afford" the monthly payment of a MR, i would say use the money for upgrade .. on handling and wheel setup .. and save the rest for the GTR35 (haha jk)
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

It's so easy to go into evo x specs with RA. I think one of the reasons Mitsu made all the RA's an auto is because it limits it from being modded to go faster than the evo. The only real complaint I have is the soft suspension/body roll which is fixable with some springs and sway bars.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

With that said I don't see the point of spending 12K more and spending more on maintenance and insurance to buy an evo.. It'll certainly be cool to say "I have an EVO"

Quick Reply: upgrade the RA or just save up for an EVO?