Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

3M paint protection

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M paint protection

Hey Guys,
Have any of you done the whole 3m clear paint protection stuff. I am looking into, took a short road trip and got ruined, about 3 or 4 small rock chips, I am pissed. I have seen cars with the stuff on there and you cant really even tell its on unless your looking for it, I am sure the color of the car also has alot to do with it. Let me know what youve heard or if you have it. Seems like the perfect solution for our RAs paper thin paint.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

I seen Clear Plasti-dip. was gonna pick some up and try it as a clear bra. I'll keep you posted.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Ok. The 3m stuff isnt too expensive, like 150 bucks covers everywhere that could get scratched from highway driving, mirrors, hood, front fender, side skirts, etc. I know that you can take a key to that stuff and scratch as hard as you can and it doesnt do anything to the paint. I think thats my best bet. I want a bulletproof RA. haha
Old May 4, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

i want something like that too .. anyone knows where i can get that precut?
stealership quoted me 300+ can
Old May 4, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

i got quoted like $600
Old May 4, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

It's like getting a new front bumper...
Old May 4, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Ive had my car done with the 3M and it works good. u can see it if ur up close and u know its there but most people wont even know its there. but it does work great.
Old May 5, 2010, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

They have it pre-cut on ebay...its for a normal lancer, but its about $200. You could get the bumper, mirrors, side skirts by rear tires, etc. Its the install that tends to be expensive. I know alot of tint shops, the more reputable ones, are doing this now too.
Old May 5, 2010, 07:19 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder how that stuff responds to sunlight.

I got a few sample rolls from a distributer at work and put in on my WW. Unfortunately, after about a year, it's started to yellow slightly.
Old May 5, 2010, 12:52 PM

I have the 3M on the back area of the side skirts n back door area where paint chipping can be a pain. it was 95 bucks on ebay i installed it myself. had it on for bout 2 -3 months its doing great so far
Old May 5, 2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by xi
I wonder how that stuff responds to sunlight.

I got a few sample rolls from a distributer at work and put in on my WW. Unfortunately, after about a year, it's started to yellow slightly.
It will get yellow if you dont take care of it. It needs to be washed and sealed on a weekly basis apparently. Just like you would wax your car.

I am also looking into this solution and it costs AUD $770 including install..

http://ozishield.com.au/search.asp?n...=&sprice=&pg=1

The below link talks about maintaining the 3M paint protection
http://ozishield.com.au/faq3m.asp (The below is an extract from an FAQ from the ozishield website)

Q. Does 3M Paint Protection Film resist yellowing?
A. Yes, it resists yellowing because the film is constructed of thermoplastic urethane, a tough, conformable material that is covered by a clear coat layer. The film and clear coat layers contain UV protectants to counteract harmful ultraviolet rays that can cause yellowing.
Q. How is 3M Paint Protection Film maintained? A. Once applied, refrain from washing the vehicle for 24 hours. Washing after that time presents no problem, and no special care need be taken for the film. However, the use of high pressure hoses may lift the film, so please avoid using them near the film. Q. Can I use wax over 3M Paint Protection Film? A. Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3M High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used.
Q. What products does 3M recommend to best maintain 3M Paint Protection Film? A. 3M makes a variety of products to help maintain the beauty of your vehicle. 3M Car Wash Soap (3M Part #39000), 3M Show Car Paste Wax (3M Part #39526 and 3M Perfect-It Show Car Liquid Wax (3M Part #39026). The best surface cloth to use is the 3M Perfect-IT III Detailing Cloth (3M Part #39016) since others may scratch the surface of the film.
Old May 6, 2010, 04:42 PM

3M ftw! had mine done in november the day i bought the car. still looks great and no chips
Old May 19, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Same for me - it was on the silver 350Z i bought used and you can barely see it. It is 'there' but does not detract from the looks. I would certainly do this for my RA while she is still new.

NO yellowing after two years in the weather (she was garaged the first six years of her pampered life).

First i heard you could buy and apply yourself. I sure hope it is easier than window tint (which i will never (ever) attempt again. Ever.