Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thinking of trading to a EVO X MR

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of trading to a EVO X MR

Hey everyone, i've had a RA for a year now and was just wondering if i should really start putting money into it for mods and upgrades or simply transfer over to a MR, what are the major differences between a RA and a MR? And would i be able to surpass a modded MR as a modded RA eventually? somewhat confused here
thanks!
Old May 23, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

unless you dont know how to drive manual or just dislike it, i would say dont.

i have a ix mr and a x mr and have to say the x is boring to drive. i thought it would be more fun but it really isnt. its a good daily commuter if you have traffic since it is pretty much an auto but that's about it.

shoulda bought the GSR but i was equally turned off by only offering a 5 spd.

i
Old May 23, 2010, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

both cars are "auto"
Old May 24, 2010, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

-You still could have issues making high power on the RA transmission or MR's tranny, just not as soon.
-The evo's are so much more complicated than the RA's. the handling of the evo's is godly.
-A modded RA will never touch a modded Evo, ever.
-Test drive an MR, and you should notice the difference off the bat.

It's really a person choice, everyone has the car that's right for them
Old May 24, 2010, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

I was/am in the same boat kinda. If you think about it, both the MR and RA will need the SSP clutch packs at some point. A Better tranny cooler. There are a lot of RAs making good power the works car said they have 330ish at the wheel when I emailed them about theirs with the SSP Clutch packs in. I saw a few threads with people claiming more HP at the wheels. I would just stay with the RA and Mod that or get the GSR. But I love having the RA as the daily driver and if I upgraded to a X I probably wouldn't be able to put much money towards it. While with the RA I could. They both are kinda faced with the same tranny issues. Just the MR can hold more without issues. I'd stay with the RA and workout upgrading the tranny first as this is the route that I would probably go then work on getting more power.
Old May 24, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

To me, The difference of $10k in price or more if your trading it in is not worth the to get the MR.
You already have the same engine and somewhat same transmission as it.

You would upgrade to bigger brakes and better suspension. Which also includes bigger wheels/tires/fenders/bumpers. You racing seats.

What do you dislike about the Ralliart?
Also, I believe that you would be able to always make the same power as an MR, but won't be able to handle better than one without spending a lot more.

You either want to level the playing field by upgrading to a EVO X turbo than you would have the same starting point. The car is going to feel slow with a smaller turbo. You could also just upgrade to a larger turbo.

Buying an MR to begin with would've been a good thing, but after a trade in cost a lot more.
Old May 24, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

i guess what i would layout first is

1. what is your plans with the car
a. daily driver only
b. auto x - time attack
c. drag
d. other - lol

if its just to daily drive I would just keep with the ralliart - lower insurance same basic platform.

if your doing auto -t/a - i would suggest getting the evoX, but why the MR? do you not know how to drive a manual trans?

get the base evo x as your platform - and mod from there

drag - id buy an evo 9 with the lowest mileage you can....

I would trade into a base evo x

i would say try to buy the AMS 2.2 stroker motor to see if it would work in the ralliart but then the trans would still be the weak point....

if the clutch paks are out and the stroker motor would work in the ralliart - keep with the ralliart man -
Old May 25, 2010, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From someone who has owned both.

Strait line performance: With exactly the same mods on both cars I ran 12.5 in the MR and 12.9 in the Ralliart. My Ralliart is a sportback, so it weighs more than a regular Ralliart so you may gain a 1/10th over me with the same modifications package.

Daily driver handling: On a test drive you may notice a difference in handling if you are so aggressive that you scare the crap out of the salesman. If you are driving any less aggressively than that you will not notice a difference. MOST of even that difference is due to the stock tires on the Ralliart being absolute trash compared to the stock tires on the MR.

Track handling: Here is the place where the MR would kick the living $hit out of the Ralliart. If you are road course track junky then get the MR and never look back.

I personally am NOT a road course junky so I traded in my MR on my Ralliart sportback for practicality and lower day to day costs. The insurance alone is a major savings, and the practicality of the sportback is awesome.

Later,

Keith
Old May 25, 2010, 12:48 AM

Since this is a tread for thinking about a trading for a evo mr, maybe, you guys could post basic cost of to maintain the ralliart/MR. Example

- cost of gas every week
- cost of insurance every month
- cost of maintenance
- cost of etc
Old May 25, 2010, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

i think about trading in my ralliart for an evo all the time. not sure if i would get a mr cuz it has the same tranny but the mr one is stronger, but i also consider a gsr but i dont know how to drive a stick so i guess i could learn. also it seems fun. since im a female and i have asked a few females i know how they like driving a stick and they love it. so i may eventually go that route. but then again mr has better seats
Old May 25, 2010, 06:04 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
get a GSR !
Old May 27, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

i almost bought an evo!
but there was two major downsides...insurance takes a big divot out of my wallet....and the seats down fold down that is the only reason why i didnt get an evo...i carry alot of stuff in my car ... in teh summer my golf bag is in there all summer long and i play summer hockey too..so i got two stupid big bags in my car all summer and then in the winter its just the hockey bag haha
Old May 27, 2010, 09:16 PM
Account Disabled

i went through the same dilemma for a while too, but have decided to go all out on the RA.

Ill swap to the evo next year i guess.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Fp red!!!!!
Old May 27, 2010, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

oh yeah and trading it...you'll lose some money off your RA...i went through this stage once