Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Turbo Timer questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Timer questions

I have a 09 RA with key-less start. I am looking to hook up a turbo timer to my car but have a couple concerns about the key-less system.

1. If you leave the ca with the remote key in your pocket and the turbo timer running will it cause a problem.

2. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the timer hook-up.

Thanks for the help
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Why do you want a turbo timer?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:52 AM

leaving the car while its running wont do anything...
but from what ive been told you cant lock the doors while the engine is running
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:11 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Even on a hot day, as long as you leave the car on for 30-45 seconds before shutting it off, you'll be fine. If anything, the thing is water cooled and the fans keep spinning for 3 minutes after you shut it off.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:36 AM

wait do not spend your money on a turbo timer. The ralliart comes stock with one. To trip you turbo timer there are two ways to do this. Drive really hard and then come to a stop and turn your car off. You will here the car continue to run for 3 mins. Thats the length I dont know who decided that. The other way to trip your timer is if its a hot day and you have been driving for a while, turn your air conditioner on to the first notch and turn the car off. That will trip the turbo timer for 3 mins. Do not waste your money on something that comes stock.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

"first notch on the AC..."

my car doesnt do that run after i shut it off...
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine either only runs for like 2 seconds after i take my key out

i've got the apexi timer with the HKS wiring harness, i'd highly suggest this combo for ease of installation

you can still lock your doors with the timer running

the timer only activiates when your parking break is applied so you don't have the timer running everytime you turn the car off, and either way its a set time that you can decide on

also if you connect the 02 sensor wire of the turbo timer it reads somethign from your 02 sensor that will automatically calculate the cool down time needed

and its also a voltage gauge with audible warning,

all in all for a little more then $100 bucks i figured why not, i waste my money on less useful things
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:04 AM

Turbo cars today do not require turbo timers anymore. Turbo timers are obsolete unless you had an NA car and added the turbo yourself.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:56 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doarrival
wait do not spend your money on a turbo timer. The ralliart comes stock with one. To trip you turbo timer there are two ways to do this. Drive really hard and then come to a stop and turn your car off. You will here the car continue to run for 3 mins. Thats the length I dont know who decided that. The other way to trip your timer is if its a hot day and you have been driving for a while, turn your air conditioner on to the first notch and turn the car off. That will trip the turbo timer for 3 mins. Do not waste your money on something that comes stock.
That's not a turbo timer. All it does is it keeps the FAN running for 3 minutes. It doesn't keep circulating oil. The reason why you can just shut the car off as long as you idle for about a minute is that the car removes heat from the turbo pretty quickly via coolant and oil. The fan is to keep everything else cool. There's no turbo timer in the sense that it doesn't keep the engine running after you turn the car "off" and walk away.

Having the AC consdensor on is only one of the criteria that it uses to decide if it keeps the fan on or not. Another one is the air intake temperature, if it's above 95F or something like that.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

After one of my drives before the fan stayed on after turning off the car. The fans ran for a very long time over 2 minutes.

Zero circulation = zero cooling. Your better off just taking it easy on any aggressive driving a couple miles before you reach your destination.

A car running without any circulation is not cooling off anything.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

I had an HKS turbo timer in my 95 Talon TSi AWD, and I absolutely loved it. Like mentioned above, it only worked when the e-brake was engaged, so you could bypass it if you needed. But for the money, on my Ralliart, I just let the car idle for a minute or so before shutting her down. Though, I have considered getting a turbo timer...
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

^ agreed! just check you cellphone before you leave the car for the day. that's what i usually do.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

Haha, that's how I do it too! Since in Ontario we have that new cell phone law, just means I leave it til I get to where ever I am going. Cheapest turbo timer ever.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 04:50 AM

The newer models definitely do it themselves call the dealer and check for yourselves
Old Jul 7, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

So my '10 should do it? I didn't see it in the manual... but never hurts to ask.

Quick Reply: Turbo Timer questions