Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car Caught Fire

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by captobvious75
Send a PM to hackish and let him know what happened. I would ask him if a 2nd tune is needed for winter time to take into affect the drastic temp changes
Did you miss the fact that his engine is kaput? I don't think a re-tune will fix two rods hanging out the side of his engine block.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ agreed but u can have a tune that works both in warm and super cold weather it just needs to run on PSI targets instead of load targets. So once PSI target reach the WG will activate to stop over boostin
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Very true. You don't want to overboost if u do and it keeps occuring over a period of time bam engine gone.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
Did you miss the fact that his engine is kaput? I don't think a re-tune will fix two rods hanging out the side of his engine block.
Nope i clearly missed it. in fact, i read it 10 times and still missed it. cause im awesome. known fact.

Now, the reason i said to get into contact with Hackish is to A) let him know that a potential tune by him did some serious damage and B) to inquire about the reason why the car has "two rods hanging out of the side of his engine" and if his tune can be affected by the drastic canadian temperature differences between summer and winter.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
Very true. You don't want to overboost if u do and it keeps occuring over a period of time bam engine gone.

Im pretty sure i was overboosting...i dont think the tune was very well done!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MikeRA87
thats what you get for email tuning and not doing stuff properly or with well known establishments.

The fact you were lead footed in 6th gear at im guessing 2500-2800 rpm is also a reason for the "overboosting". Its not something usually tuned out because people know better.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Westbound&down
thats what you get for email tuning and not doing stuff properly or with well known establishments.

The fact you were lead footed in 6th gear at im guessing 2500-2800 rpm is also a reason for the "overboosting". Its not something usually tuned out because people know better.
A little harsh after someone just lost a car that I'm sure he put a lot of hard earned money and time into don't you think? Try showing a little tact and sympathy
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Westbound&down

E-mail tuning? is that ****in joke bud?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

E-mail tuning? is that ****in joke bud?
how exactly did hackish tune your car then?

and i am compasionate, it sucks, but learning from the mistake is the lesson needing to be learnt i guess.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

I guess you learn from your mistakes
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear the news. Give me a call Tuesday as I should be at the shop all day. A few points to answer some of your concerns:

- I don't recall what psi it was tuned to but 26-27 sounds a little high. I will need your VIN to look up my session notes.

- I don't tend to add a lot of timing at the top end because once you lean the car out it doesn't need any. Every car I do will have no knock count. Cold weather can cause a little more boost but the boost cut should still be there and working. Colder air will generally cause less knock. Seeing your pistons and sparkplugs could be helpful in diagnosing the problem. I expect if the tuning were a big issue it would have popped 6mo ago.

- If your check engine was on then it was obviously not a good idea to be pushing it! Do you have any idea what code it was giving? I think the tune was done in June or July - when did the CEL come on?

- The engine was also tuned to hit about 11.2 at the top end so if you were hitting 10's then I suspect something else was going on. I assume at this point that someone has already pulled the battery off - if not I'd like to read the code(s) and see what the knocking value is stored as.

Any more mods since I saw the car last?
What were the temps like that day?
Anything different about where you filled the tank last? Full? Empty? 1/2 way? Lots of hard driving on the tank or fresh gas?

I think most businesses are closed tomorrow but if the shop where it's at is open I could take a trip out to look at it for you.

-Michael