Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What happened to the 2011 Ralliart???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to the 2011 Ralliart???

Ok, what gives on the "improved" 2011 Ralliart, with the 245 wide tires, wider fenders, and the marginal bumo in horsepower?

I look online at the dealers and all their 2011's say 215 tires.... Was the improved Ralliart cancelled?? I called a few dealers and the salesguys plead ignorace on the question!

p.s. Don't flame the noob please!! I'm a brand new member here, and I want to get out of my 08 WRX for what was supposed to be an improved Ralliart for the 11MY.

p.p.s. Are the pistons in the ralliart forged? I read conflicting things about them being cast, and not even of the "hypercast" variety found in my WRX. So the shorblock is the same as the EVO, the head (cams and valvetrain are the same as the EVO) but only the manifold and turbo are different (along with their suporting hardware, or course).

Thanks!!!!!!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

The "improvements" were never official, just speculation and rumors.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ what he said.

also,
Originally Posted by FoxThree
p.p.s. Are the pistons in the ralliart forged? I read conflicting things about them being cast, and not even of the "hypercast" variety found in my WRX. So the shorblock is the same as the EVO, the head (cams and valvetrain are the same as the EVO) but only the manifold and turbo are different (along with their suporting hardware, or course).
no they are not forged. and yes everything in the longblock is the same for the evox and new ra
Old Feb 7, 2011, 05:55 AM

Those were only rumors. The car is basically unchanged for 2011. Just some minor things. I just got my 2011 a month a go. It really is a fun car. But as far as I can tell its the same as 2010. if they did all the stuff that was said in those articles, it would have been to close to the EVO and hurt sales.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

those "2011" rumors were also "2010" rumors fyi, yet when 2010 came out they magically disappeared and reappeared as "2011" rumors

they were never official, yet it baffles me at how gullible people are
Old Feb 7, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks!!!!!!
The engine and internals on the RA are the same as the EVO. The 4b11t is a beast of an engine, and in terms of upgrade path, the engine internals themselves are probably the area of least concern with the RA.

As for the "hypercast," that really is something specific to Subaru. It has it's pros and cons, but I, for one, am not convinced that it is that superior to forged internals. Also, IIRC, it is only the surface of the piston head that is hypercast. You'd probably want to lurk around NASIOC to find some debates about hypercast versus forged.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:44 AM

So **no** 245 wide tires!? Aye carumba! I don't want to be in a sports car with the kind of power the RA can put down and be stuck with 225's which it seems are the widest tires the car can support.......... Aye carumba indeed!!!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
So **no** 245 wide tires!? Aye carumba! I don't want to be in a sports car with the kind of power the RA can put down and be stuck with 225's which it seems are the widest tires the car can support.......... Aye carumba indeed!!!
Where did you hear that from? If you're sticking to the OEM wheels, sure you'll be stuck with 225s. I, personally, know someone whose runs 255s on their RA. Many have fit 235s and 245s without anything but rolling the rear fenders.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Buy a set of cheap, light wheels, and run a wide tire set-up. I keep winter tires on the stock wheels, and I bought a cheap set of 8" wide wheels (or a very nice used set), and threw on 255 width tires. What's the big hub-bub?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

the "rumor" 2011 ralliart sounds very close to a Evo SE..
maybe you should consider that option.

as far as tires... 245 can be fitted
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:19 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, what gives on the "improved" 2011 Ralliart, with the 245 wide tires, wider fenders, and the marginal bumo in horsepower?

I look online at the dealers and all their 2011's say 215 tires.... Was the improved Ralliart cancelled?? I called a few dealers and the salesguys plead ignorace on the question!

p.s. Don't flame the noob please!! I'm a brand new member here, and I want to get out of my 08 WRX for what was supposed to be an improved Ralliart for the 11MY.

Thanks!!!!!!
The "improved" Ralliart is sitting in my garage right now. It runs 235 tires on stock rims (no rubbing, but very slight elephant feet), no wider fenders because it would look like crap on this car, and the marginal bump in horsepower I got from my Hks drop in filter. The increase in price was ~ $600 total

what I'm trying to say is if you want the RA, get the RA dude, don't wait for 2012.
Cheers!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by initial_d2k
the "rumor" 2011 ralliart sounds very close to a Evo SE..
maybe you should consider that option.

as far as tires... 245 can be fitted
I know, I know... I need some cheese with my wine!
Well, the hub-bub is that the "new" Ralliart was coming with the wider wheels and tires as stock, and i.e. "free". Buying a new Ralliart w/o those items and then adding them myself, well, that's just more $$$$$ flying out of my ****!

And from what I know, putting wider tires/wheels on the Ralliart involves rolling the fenders, which yet again is more dollar bills flying out the window. That and I am growing weary of the whole modding stuff.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

if you get the right offset and some spacers i believe you can go up to 9in wide without having to roll the fenders? i know for sure 8.5 can be fit with no problem. how wide are you looking to go
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elmerfud54
if you get the right offset and some spacers i believe you can go up to 9in wide without having to roll the fenders? i know for sure 8.5 can be fit with no problem. how wide are you looking to go
Offset matters. 8.5 +38 should/could rub (depending on ur tires)
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

18x8.5 with a 245/40 tire works just fine with a +48 offset, and you can be lowered..

Quick Reply: What happened to the 2011 Ralliart???