Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dealer and Cobb AP or other ECU?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer and Cobb AP or other ECU?

Going to get my radio replaced this week. I have just over 1000 miles on the car. The fuel mileage still sucks 13.5 since mile 230+/-. Planing on Cobb AP to help lean things out a bit, also, plaining on telling the dealer I am pissed about the crap fuel mileage so I am going to get an AP to solve the problem and don't want to here SH** when I come in for service. (I will post later on how they respond).
But I started thinking. Has anyone ever bought a second ecu for there Ra. You could flash it with any tune you want install it and have fun. Then when its time for any type of dealer visit. Just swap in the original ECU and they would be none the wiser. No warranty problems. Or did I just make up some BS that I am about to get flamed for? lol

Let the SH** storm begin. lol

BTW Please don't tell me not to tune or mod my car if I don't want to void my warranty. I don't tell you how to drink your coffee.........
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

i found an 09 ralliart ecu in a totalled ralliart at a junk yard. bought it for sh*** and giggles but havent tried it in the car yet to see if it starts up. the serial number is only about 200 off also which is kinda cool. may try it this up coming weekend when i go to get the car tuned so someone who knows what they are doing can do it
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

with Cobb AP, u can flash it back to Stock map and bring it in... I haven't hear that the dealer**** can detect that kind of changes...
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by initial_d2k
with Cobb AP, u can flash it back to Stock map and bring it in... I haven't hear that the dealer**** can detect that kind of changes...
Right, if you get the Cobb you can either flash back and forth from the stock map to one of their preloaded maps, or you can get a custom tune and flash back and forth between that and the stock map. Flashing is flashing, no matter if it's Cobb's canned tune or a custom dyno-tune, so stop being so hard headed and do SOMETHING to lean out your super rich factory tune and maybe we won't have to hear any more complaining about your crappy gas mileage all the time...
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
bye bye warrenty
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that even tho u flash back to stock map on accessport the flash count goes up, which is how they can tell?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:18 AM

The dealers can see the flashes or tunes, or whatever you want to call them. Many people have said they cant without a special tool. Not true. All that is needed is a lap top. However, they for the most part don't look at the ECU for that type of thing. Unless its an expensive warranty repair. Then they absolutely will.
As fare as my fuel mileage complaints. I would complain to my wife but she just doesn't give a sh**. Thats why I joined this forum. 1 to get info. 2 to have someone to ***** too.... lol

But I still hope someone can answer my question. I will never do it because it is probably not cost effective and is probably a lot of work. But I am still curious.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by total0wnage
I thought that even tho u flash back to stock map on accessport the flash count goes up, which is how they can tell?
That's what I was trying to say. It doesn't matter if you flash back and forth between the stock tune and the Cobb AP tune or the stock tune and a custom dyno-tune, the point is that if the dealership really wants to find out bad enough and they dig deeply enough I'm sure they can tell if the car has ever been flashed to ANY aftermarket tune(no matter whether you used the Cobb AP to do it or had the car dyno-tuned). Soo, @ Stig013, my point is that if you're thinking that you have less of a chance voiding your warranty by going with the Cobb AP instead of a custom dyno-tune, I don't believe that's the case....

Last edited by Slee256; Feb 13, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Slee256
That's what I was trying to say. It doesn't matter if you flash back and forth between the stock tune and the Cobb AP tune or the stock tune and a custom dyno-tune, the point is that if the dealership really wants to find out bad enough and they dig deeply enough I'm sure they can tell if the car has ever been flashed to ANY aftermarket tune(no matter whether you used the Cobb AP to do it or had the car dyno-tuned). Soo, @ Stig013, my point is that if you're thinking that you have less of a chance voiding your warranty by going with the Cobb AP instead of a custom dyno-tune, I don't believe that's the case....
Nope I don't think that. I just like the Cobb AP because you can go back and forth by yourself with a little bit more support then something like GST maps. I know GST maps are great and relatively easy to install, but if I do something wrong when uploading or whatever, I like the fact that I can call Cobb for customer support. Just seems a little safer.
As for the dealer. Like I said I am going to tell them flat out what I am going to do. My family has been buying cars from this auto group for 20 years. If they tell me to go for it, I will trust them and do it. Knowing that they will back me up when dealing with Mitsu, if it ever comes up. They are a good group of dealers and I have never had any problems with them overs the years.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 12:53 PM

BTW.
I asked the origional question about using a second ECU for tuning, just out of curiosity. I am hoping someone can still clear this up for me. Who else am I going to ask? The dealership? lol
Thanks guys.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

like i posted earlier i already have an extra one i salvaged and im going get it tuned this weekend so im giong to find out from the tuner what he thinks about it
Old Feb 13, 2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by elmerfud54
like i posted earlier i already have an extra one i salvaged and im going get it tuned this weekend so im giong to find out from the tuner what he thinks about it
I am very curious to see what they say. BTW how much did you pay for it?
You should ask them if the dealer would ever be able to tell if you ran an alternate ECU? i.e. from the millage or something like that. Thanks for the info I am sure a lot of people would be curious about this...
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

80 bucks, i dont think they knew what they had. most of the cars there were old rusted out muscle cars. i dont think theyd know by mileage but i know the display on the dash for the 09 is different from the 10 so idk if itll change to the 09's display since its an 09 computer
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

going to the tuner today, hopefully hell give me some info on doing this. i believe they may be able to find out by matching the serial numbers on the computer to that of the car though. it would come in use if you were not tuned yet. and tuned a different computer and put the stock one back in for warranty issues
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

So the 2010-11 ecus can be interchanged no prob. The 2009 can't due to diff dash displays and the ijectors are only 450cc compared to the 2010+ 550cc

Quick Reply: Dealer and Cobb AP or other ECU?