Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car doesn't "beep" anymore when I lock doors

Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car doesn't "beep" anymore when I lock doors

Hi. I'm not sure what happened, but my car doesn't "beep" anymore when I lock the doors. It also doesn't "beep" when I leave the car running and close the door, etc. I tried looking it up in the manual but can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by getek20
Hi. I'm not sure what happened, but my car doesn't "beep" anymore when I lock the doors. It also doesn't "beep" when I leave the car running and close the door, etc. I tried looking it up in the manual but can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?
take it in
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

You say it doesn't beep when you leave the car and close the door...but does it say the key is missing?

Is there any chance you have the spare key stuck somewhere inside the car?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 02:48 PM

if the car still locks all the doors and flashes the lights but just doesn't beep...my guess would be the little box in the back either became disconnected or failed...either way if you have warranty take it in and let them deal with it

p.s. if you have the mmcs you can go in a change the settings, if you do have it check that first
Old Feb 27, 2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by GRAPHITE RALLI
if the car still locks all the doors and flashes the lights but just doesn't beep...my guess would be the little box in the back either became disconnected or failed...either way if you have warranty take it in and let them deal with it

p.s. if you have the mmcs you can go in a change the settings, if you do have it check that first
Yes, all the doors still lock and the lights flash, but the "beep" is gone. I gave my girlfriend the car keys while on vacation and I'm guessing she changed something without knowing. I'm just not sure where to start my search...
What is the MMCS you speak of?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by comic0guy
You say it doesn't beep when you leave the car and close the door...but does it say the key is missing?

Is there any chance you have the spare key stuck somewhere inside the car?
No it doesn't say the key is missing. It used to warn me when the key was missing, which is the "beep" I'm referring to. It would warn me for a number of different things, but now I don't hear it anymore.
The spare key isn't stuck inside the car. I just verified.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:20 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check your instruction manual. The FAST key, even without MMCS, allows you to change whether you want just the drivers door to unlock, all the doors to unlock, whether to chime, not to chime, single flash of the lights, double flash, etc.

I'm too lazy to go out to the driveway to grab the manual in my car. =)
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:21 PM

Something very similar happened to me as of recent. For reasons I cannot figure, the beeps when locking the doors keeps getting weaker sounding, like the volume keeps getting turned down. There is a way to change that volume using the FAST key. Although its almost like performing brain surgery. Try reading the manual, it tells you what to do (good luck)

If I was in your position a little troubleshooting wouldn't hurt. Try leaving the car running and then with the FAST key in your hand, get out and close the door. Leave the FAST key about 5 feet from the car and peak in at the dash without opening the door. If the LCD says CONFIRM KEY LOCATION then at least you know that FAST key is communicating with the car. If not then there may be an issue with the FAST key or the car.

In either case an appointment with the stealership wouldn't be bad idea.

Also I forgot to mention that if your FAST key is in the same pocket as a mobile phone, the key may not work properly. I once had my iPhone and key in my sweatshirt pocket and the door wouldn't lock/unlock until I separated them.

Last edited by lookmanohands; Feb 27, 2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Forgot one piece of crucial info...
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by xi
Check your instruction manual. The FAST key, even without MMCS, allows you to change whether you want just the drivers door to unlock, all the doors to unlock, whether to chime, not to chime, single flash of the lights, double flash, etc.

I'm too lazy to go out to the driveway to grab the manual in my car. =)
I just looked at the owner's manual and saw the section that refers to this. However, when it mentioned changing the chime settings it said refer to a different manual. The thing is I don't have another manual. I only have the standard user's manual and the warranty manual.
Any ideas on how to change the chime settings? It appears that somehow the chime volume was turned down. It used to be a very pronounced "beep" sound. Now it's so quiet that I can hardly hear it.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lookmanohands
I once had my iPhone and key in my sweatshirt pocket and the door wouldn't lock/unlock until I separated them.
You gotta keep em separated.....
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:30 PM

There is a separate manual for the MMCS and there are settings for the FAST-Key.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:06 AM

I just looked at the owner's manual and saw the section that refers to this. However, when it mentioned changing the chime settings it said refer to a different manual. The thing is I don't have another manual. I only have the standard user's manual and the warranty manual.
Any ideas on how to change the chime settings? It appears that somehow the chime volume was turned down. It used to be a very pronounced "beep" sound. Now it's so quiet that I can hardly hear it.

No, its definitely in there. There is only 3 sentences about how to change it. Like I said before, its like performing brain surgery. I asked my stealership once on how to change it and they said bring it back down next oil change and we can help with it. If I was in your shoes, thats what I would do.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 02:08 PM

I looked in the manual (again) and in two sections I saw something that referred to chime settings, yet in both sections it said refer to an alternate manual. Unfortunately an alternate manual was not included with my car.
Perhaps if I describe the situation better someone will be able to more accurately identify the problem I'm experiencing. I suppose my thread title doesn't accurately describe what the exact problem is. Here goes...
If I unlock the car using the door handle (with the FAST key in my pocket) I'll hear two beeps, the turn signal lights will flash, and the doors will unlock. For some reason those two beeps are so low that I can barely hear them whereas before they were easy to hear.
The same goes for if I lock the car using the little lock button on the door handle with the FAST key in my pocket. I'll hear a single beep, the turn signal lights will flash, and the doors will lock. For some reason the beep volume is so low I can barely hear it.
Once again if I start the car with the FAST key in my pocket, then get out of the car, leave the engine running but close the driver's side door, the car beeps and the information display will say "Confirm Key Location." However, those beeps are too quiet to easily hear.
In short, all of the aforementioned beeps were much louder and more pronounced until just a few days ago. Now they're so quiet that I struggle to even hear them. Hopefully my description will give a more accurate picture as to what's wrong. Any ideas?

Last edited by getek20; Mar 1, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:10 PM

Sorry to bump this old thread but I just started experiencing this exact problem with my 2012 lancer. I no longer hear the beeps when I unlock/lock the door by pushing the black button on the door handle. It also doesn't beep at me when I get out of the car with my keys and leave the car running and shut the door. It beeped once at work yesterday and now no longer beeps again today. The car is just over a year old.

Did OP or anyone ever figure out this problem? I checked my fuses and they all look good. I would like to inspect the beeper itself but I don't know exactly where it is located.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The "beeper" is in the trunk, I believe.

Mine died awhile ago and I have no complaints. Damn thing was annoying .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car doesn't "beep" anymore when I lock doors