Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car and Driver long term

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car and Driver long term

Has anyone seen this. Not a very shining test so far. I would like to see what their final notes will be.

Link
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, read it a couple of weeks ago and thought they were being a bit critical of the maintenance fees.

We all know that paying the dealership to do the 30k maintenance is severely overpriced already, and we all already know that the paint on these cars is thin; all the more reason to spring for a clear bra
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

I think all their points are fairly reasonable. They have to cover everything worth mentionning and they do. Did they do a similar long term test of the WRX? I like long term test but they are worth nothing if they are not done on a bunch of cars from the same category and by the same group of testers.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I really dislike Car and Driver

Their magazines are really dull/uninteresting, their reviews are too short, and their long-term tests aren't updated nearly enough to know what the car is like to live with - the whole point of a long-term test

Motor Trend is the only publication I like these days
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Why not drive for 100,000 or 150,000? Let us know majo issues, if any. Let us know about how the tranny held up. Many people have already accumilated over 40,000. This is not "long term" by any mens. We need valuable information. I could written this myself!

Suck my nuts Car and Driver.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It annoys me that Mitsu doesnt get with the program an paint their cars better.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GearDownSon
It annoys me that Mitsu doesnt get with the program an paint their cars better.
Yea... my car is only a month and a half old and I already have a few minor marks from normal driving. Fun. But that's why I got the car in silver, hides them easier than non-neutral colors.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:10 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
no amount of paint job will resist a rock on the hood.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
no amount of paint job will resist a rock on the hood.
Agreed but i had a chip on my bumper when i first bought the car an i went to a car wash an sprayed it. When i did the paint came flying off. Thats not good.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

btw mitsu isn't the only company laying thin paint... the new Ford Fiestas (or whatever their entry level cars) has visibly thin paint... you can see a visible color difference between the metal body panels and the plastic panels, because the paint is so thin...

I've seen it on Hondas, too, where I can see the spray pattern in direct sun light on their silver cars...
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:24 PM

I noticed the fuel economy figures in their article are substantially lower than I achieve. I average about 21 mpg in the winter and upwards of 24 mpg in the summer. I even achieved 28 mpg on several different occasions that involved all highway driving @ 70 mph.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Am I getting this right? They did the 30,000 mile maintenance and it cost them $676? Which includes a transmission, transfer case, and rear diff. fluid change? That's not a bad price with labor included. It's $300-$400 alone for the transmission fluid and filter. I also find it odd that it was done at 30,000 miles and not at the 60,000 mile maintenance interval.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nunyas
btw mitsu isn't the only company laying thin paint... the new Ford Fiestas (or whatever their entry level cars) has visibly thin paint... you can see a visible color difference between the metal body panels and the plastic panels, because the paint is so thin...

I've seen it on Hondas, too, where I can see the spray pattern in direct sun light on their silver cars...
this weekend borrowed my grandmas toyota tacoma so i could lay some sod and install a sprinkler system...

upon returning the truck i gave it a full detail as i would do to my car every other week, i noticed the paint was pretty similar to that of mitsu, and the truck is white which imo usually tends to hide imperfections well. i could see a good amount of rock chips and imperfections.

her truck is 2 years old but doesnt even have 9000 miles on it and is only used as a truck when i use it.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I also read a good review on Edmunds ( I think) and they said they were really sad to have to give back their Sportback Ralliart. They said there were a few things but overall it was one of the better long term cars they've had.

I'll try to find the article.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry, auto123

http://www.auto123.com/en/mitsubishi...6&artid=128190

Pretty funny too!!