Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Finally Installed my RA Bumper Vent for larger intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't realize the evo part was that cheap hassle wise it certainly sounds a cheaper option to swap it out.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't even cut my front bumper grille. But, looks good on you though.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:45 AM

I am not entirely sure about this but I believe that if you modify any part of any crash structure on a car you may open yourself up to some sort of legal action. It would be in the most extreme of situations. For example; if someone was injured in the crash. The crash structures are regulated under some FED agency that has laws pertaining to them. Lets not forget that this country is in need of some serious tort reform. Cutting into your bumper(crash structure) leaves you open to some serous **** if you get a savvy lawyer or prosecutor looking at what you did.
Now replacing the crash structure with an Evo X one. Maybe you could get away with that. But don't forget it is still not the right part for the car technically. You could still get hammered for it.
Having said all of this. I really like the way it looks. I would love to do this mod. Very cool.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

So are u a lawyer or are u just talking outta ur ***?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliMark
So are u a lawyer or are u just talking outta ur ***?
That was uncalled for, he made a decent argument defending his point

Last edited by Slee256; Jun 13, 2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:51 AM

I started my post with "I am not entirely sure about this but". If I am incorrect then just say so. No I am not a lawyer. I heard this from a body guy a bunch of years ago when he had to replace my front crash structure even though It was just a small dent in it. I wanted him to just pull it out and he said he cant because he was liable under a special set of laws that govern crash structures and airbags and things of that sort. I have known this guy for a very long time. He wasn't trying to rip me. I give him a ton of work and he always does what I ask no matter how crazy. I tend to believe him.
I am not ripping on original poster either. I love what he did. Any mod comes with inherent risks. I truly hope that he never has a problem with it. Like I said its very cool.

BTW If MachV, witch is the place I get most of my stuff from since I got my Eclipse in 97', puts up on there web site that it doesn't violate any laws. I will be next in line. I trust those guys implicitally.......
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
That was uncalled for, he made a decent argument defending his point
Sorry I guess that came out wrong I really was just asking if u knew that for sure or if he was just saying something that he thought sounded good. I didnt mean to sound like a dick.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stig013
I started my post with "I am not entirely sure about this but". If I am incorrect then just say so. No I am not a lawyer. I heard this from a body guy a bunch of years ago when he had to replace my front crash structure even though It was just a small dent in it. I wanted him to just pull it out and he said he cant because he was liable under a special set of laws that govern crash structures and airbags and things of that sort. I have known this guy for a very long time. He wasn't trying to rip me. I give him a ton of work and he always does what I ask no matter how crazy. I tend to believe him.
I am not ripping on original poster either. I love what he did. Any mod comes with inherent risks. I truly hope that he never has a problem with it. Like I said its very cool.

BTW If MachV, witch is the place I get most of my stuff from since I got my Eclipse in 97', puts up on there web site that it doesn't violate any laws. I will be next in line. I trust those guys implicitally.......
My bad for sounding like a dick I didnt mean to come off that way but I guess I did once I reread my post. I think with modifying ur crash beam it would lean towards more of ur insurance not covering u or other drivers insurance if u were in a front end crash if they discovered that u altered ur crash beam. If it says its legal to alter it on their website and its not they probably would be liable for it if that is the case but Im not sure at all just speculating.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:01 AM

I didn't really take offense. But thanks for clarifying.
It makes you wonder, with all the sue happy lawyers in this country what else they could go after you for. Can you imagine if you mod your car for more power, have an accident and then some lawyer goes after you for making your car to fast and beyond what its original limits are intended to be..... I know it sounds extreme but it could happen..
Lets not forget that McDonald's coffee cups all say "extremely hot" on them because some women spilled coffee on herself years ago while driving and sued McDonald's for 20 million because her coffee was too hot and won.
Only in America......... lol
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:54 PM

extremely clean looking front end bro
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wassabee451
extremely clean looking front end bro
Thanks, man! It looks like I am now losing my uniqueness in being the only one with one of these since they are in stock now..lol. The part is very nice. I love it!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Drew314
What do you guys think?
Before and after...

The last pic was prior to cutting the crash beam, so the intercooler wasn't "peeking" through yet....
Looks good man! I'm not a huge fan of the Evo X front end, but the extra cooling is necessary with a larger IC. I see you also blacked out the trim, makes it look neater in regards. Also, props for the //// //// on the bumper haha... and the plate...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Most bumper supports are just there for 2 things - to hold up the bumper cover, and to comply with the US 5mph crash test. Many cars (at least a few years ago) don't even come with anything remotely close to the USDM support in other markets. Here's an OEM JDM Integra bumper support:

http://www.icbmotorsport.com/dc2itrfrbure.html

Cutting a couple holes in the stock support isn't gonna have any effect in crash safety IMO. If you're that paranoid about it, have a fab shop cut a sheet of aluminum out to match the hole pattern and weld it to it. And you better not ride in any car that has a FMIC and didn't come from the factory with one.

FYI, JMF also does a pretty neat front license plate relocation mod to the EVO X bumper that gets it off the bumper and doesn't block the IC. I'd imagine they could do the same for the RA.

http://www.jmfabrications.com/store/...rash-Beam.html
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:07 PM

I know plenty of tuners take the crash beam out to reduce weight.
They're fully aware without crash beam it would hurt the car more if ever a head on collision.

Im not a lawyer but they & insurance can go screw themselves for denying claim because of modification to the crash beam.

As far as cutting a couple holes into the crash beam will not result in more damage in case of an head on collision, why? see reasons below

-If you ever get in head on collision where this modification goes airbag wouldnt trigger anyways per the manual & stock factory "crash beam" would not prevent any more or any less damage. I know somebody that totalled his Ralliart already.

-If you ever get in the head on collision & blame the severity of the damage on this modification you need to learn to drive first & stop blaming everybody else for your issues/mistakes.

Mine come in next Friday according to UPS.
Thanks Drew, for making this happen.
Don't let people discourage you, you cant please everyone.
Move on, next project.

Quick Reply: Finally Installed my RA Bumper Vent for larger intercooler