Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

The Dreaded Orange Wrench

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dreaded Orange Wrench

Ok..so I picked my car up on Friday and have been driving it for 2 days. I flipping love this car. I love it. Been going pretty easy on her...not taking her above 5 grand (OK, one i did 6 ha)

So...it has 601 KM's on it. She is basically a virgin. Today I started it up and it made 2 crackling/crunching sounds (not too loud...short in duration). I turned it off and started it again and noticed the sounds and my display screen beeped and turned orange with a wrench saying "Periodic Inspection(something like that), before returning to the normal display. I called mitsu and she is already hitting the shop on Wednesday..sigh.

Any ideas? The car operates well, but ya...kina makes me sad haha.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by petro
Ok..so I picked my car up on Friday and have been driving it for 2 days. I flipping love this car. I love it. Been going pretty easy on her...not taking her above 5 grand (OK, one i did 6 ha)

So...it has 601 KM's on it. She is basically a virgin. Today I started it up and it made 2 crackling/crunching sounds (not too loud...short in duration). I turned it off and started it again and noticed the sounds and my display screen beeped and turned orange with a wrench saying "Periodic Inspection(something like that), before returning to the normal display. I called mitsu and she is already hitting the shop on Wednesday..sigh.

Any ideas? The car operates well, but ya...kina makes me sad haha.

That is just a periodic maintenance routine that is applied to all of our cars. It is not a big deal. Look it up in the manual and it is pretty much outlined of what needs to be done at specific miles but can give and take a little miles otherwise they will screw you up on your warranty stuff which I have a disagreement in what Mitsubishi dealers do but I take it upon the bigger dogs at the headquarters to "force" them fix it under warranty if things are broken for no apparent reason unless you plan to abuse it which I doubt it. I had to go through this 2 times to fight it and believe me it sucks big time which is making me considering a trade for it cuz I am tired of their ****ty service and runaround going around at most of these Mitsubishi dealerships in my area. However I do love my car though......
Old Sep 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slyman
That is just a periodic maintenance routine that is applied to all of our cars. It is not a big deal. Look it up in the manual and it is pretty much outlined of what needs to be done at specific miles but can give and take a little miles otherwise they will screw you up on your warranty stuff which I have a disagreement in what Mitsubishi dealers do but I take it upon the bigger dogs at the headquarters to "force" them fix it under warranty if things are broken for no apparent reason unless you plan to abuse it which I doubt it. I had to go through this 2 times to fight it and believe me it sucks big time which is making me considering a trade for it cuz I am tired of their ****ty service and runaround going around at most of these Mitsubishi dealerships in my area. However I do love my car though......

First off, thanks for the reply. I hope I have a better experience with Mitsu than some of you here. I get what you are saying...and it isn't the flashing wrench light that eventually goes away that bugs me as much as the 2 short, intermittent crackling sounds upon startup.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

There is a thread for the strange noises that the Ralliart does... You get use to them, it is a noisy car... And it gets even noisier after some mods (BOV, intake, exhaust, etc...)

But I think most of us enjoy being noticed a little bit (in a good or a bad way...)

For reference: the sound you talk about seams to be related to the transmission... Also, if you open your engine bay and worry about a clicking noise, this is normal too.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Clicking clanking noises are pretty normal. Orange wrench doesn't seem normal. Glad you're taking it to the dealer. That is the right thing to do. Let us know what they say.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TOralliart
Clicking clanking noises are pretty normal. Orange wrench doesn't seem normal. Glad you're taking it to the dealer. That is the right thing to do. Let us know what they say.

Will do. She has her first appointment under the knife Wednesday.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by slyman

I have the same issue and spoke with some guys in service about this. The orange wrench is simply a maintenance reminder that they can reset every time you get the specific service recommended in the manual. It makes it easier to keep track of when they say for example "service every 10k miles or every 3 months"

I wonder if there is a way to reset this timer myself or do we have to bring it to the dealership to get it reset. All it does is keep track of when the last time the car was serviced.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

You can re-set it yourself on ACC. The steps are outlined.....in the owner's manual
Also for those with Navi, the tracking system in there is AWESOME. I don't even use the center display "wrench", which is only for oil changes (5800 mile intervals, fail). The Navi allows 8 lines items to be tracked separately with both mileage and time passage intervals. I have Oil Change & Filter, Rotate Tires, Tranny Fluid, Diff Fluid (Front and Rear), and 3 more empties. For instance I have Oil set-up for 2500 or 3 months; and the timers count down, no need for the stupid sticker on your windshield anymore

Last edited by sstevojr; Sep 13, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
You can re-set it yourself on ACC. The steps are outlined.....in the owner's manual
Also for those with Navi, the tracking system in there is AWESOME. I don't even use the center display "wrench", which is only for oil changes (5800 mile intervals, fail). The Navi allows 8 lines items to be tracked separately with both mileage and time passage intervals. I have Oil Change & Filter, Rotate Tires, Tranny Fluid, Diff Fluid (Front and Rear), and 3 more empties. For instance I have Oil set-up for 2500 or 3 months; and the timers count down, no need for the stupid sticker on your windshield anymore
This. So much this. I love my maint. tracker on the Navi, it's a beautiful thing.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Wow that's nice to have, I don't even have the navi package and it makes me wish I have one now. Will it be able to work if I order one or buy one off from a member here and install it? Like for example a 2010 or 2011 work in a 2009? But I am wondering if the aftermarket audio have them as well cuz I have 5 Phoenix Gold Ti series amplifiers sitting in the box still brand new. I was planning to put it in my old car but plans had changed at that moment.

BTW, sorry if it is off post, if you know anything about that, then inbox me please....

Back to the OP.......
Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know how to reset using ACC (I didn't know you could and don't even really know what the ACC is), because the Dealership only sent the French manual (or someone stole the English one on its journey to me). Mitsu here in Calgary told me today that the manual is $95 to replace. What a deal ahaha. The dreaded Orange wrench turned out to be nothing and the "crackling" sound upon startup is "your car being broken in." My car has personality already. I will be definately be utilizing my Nav for tracking purposes.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

"ACC" is when you turn your turn key so the "acc"essories turn on, but not the engine. Then you press and hold the center dash button for a couple seconds, and then something else I don't recall off hand.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

"ACC" is when you turn your turn key so the "acc"essories turn on, but not the engine. Then you press and hold the center dash button for a couple seconds, and then something else I don't recall off hand.

Thanks. Man, I can't wait for the manual.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

so I just picked up my car from the dealership. Mitsu didn't charge me anything and washed my car. Thought it was nice. Now it's time to drive.