Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Oil Test Comparison

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:33 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by khami
Your welcome, like I said this post was meant to educate people and maybe offer some insight to whats out there. People can say that this test is pointless, but hey a test is a test and if it's enough to make you switch to something else, power to you. Glad I can help a fellow member.
Not disagreeing with your opinions,,, but a test is not a test unless is validated from and engineering stand point, its like everything else if you dont have the correct equipment and the correct processes your results can be squewed and lead people to believe the inccorect things... and this is the case here.

where i work i have to set up many test jigs from mechanical to electrical,, Osciloscopes, Signal Generators, Spectrum Analyzers, power supplies, thermal testing, vibration testing ect,,, ,, if i have the wrong test set or set up wrong cables or parameters it could be a bad day.
So now you are asking yourself ,,, how the heck i know the test is legit,, i know it is very hard to know,,, one way of doing so is contacting the "API" all legit oil testing must go through them and they should tell you exactly what is going on

The test that you have shown is a test that has been finger pointed at to be flawed over and over and many folks already know this.

Rule of thumb for choosing a premium synthetic,,, if you can spend 8.00 a qt then get Group 4 oils and nothing less,,,, if you are looking at spending 6.50 a qt then get Group 3 oils
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
Not disagreeing with your opinions,,, but a test is not a test unless is validated from and engineering stand point, its like everything else if you dont have the correct equipment and the correct processes your results can be squewed and lead people to believe the inccorect things... and this is the case here.

where i work i have to set up many test jigs from mechanical to electrical,, Osciloscopes, Signal Generators, Spectrum Analyzers, power supplies, thermal testing, vibration testing ect,,, ,, if i have the wrong test set or set up wrong cables or parameters it could be a bad day.
So now you are asking yourself ,,, how the heck i know the test is legit,, i know it is very hard to know,,, one way of doing so is contacting the "API" all legit oil testing must go through them and they should tell you exactly what is going on

The test that you have shown is a test that has been finger pointed at to be flawed over and over and many folks already know this.

Rule of thumb for choosing a premium synthetic,,, if you can spend 8.00 a qt then get Group 4 oils and nothing less,,,, if you are looking at spending 6.50 a qt then get Group 3 oils
I fully agreed with you; however, like your previous responds you said not all test are tested using the correct standards....if there really is one such thing as a "perfect" test. The article I found was just the affects of said brand on wear and tear based on the artical testing standards. Nothing more or nothing less. If people worry about wear and tear/protection during WOT then I will only really base my oil choices on those type of test. In other words, if I race and track my car on a weekly bases why would I care about a test that only measure oil performances for a daily driver/normal driving conditions when it does not suit my needs? I want a test that pits all oils during race track/autoX conditions, those test I will care about.

All I'm saying is some oils are better at things then others. Just because one oil is the best doesn't mean it will meet my needs,when I only send 10% of my times below 4500 RPM on autoX day, what good is a test to me that only talks about wear and tear during start up?

Last edited by khami; Sep 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fully agreed with you; however, like your previous responds you said not all test are tested using the correct standards....if there really is one such thing as a "perfect" test. The article I found was just the affects of said brand on wear and tear based on the artical testing standards. Nothing more or nothing less. If people worry about wear and tear/protection during WOT then I will only really base my oil choices on those type of test. In other words, if I race and track my car on a weekly bases why would I care about a test that only measure oil performances for a daily driver/normal driving conditions when it does not suit my needs? I want a test that pits all oils during race track/autoX conditions, those test I will care about.

All I'm saying is some oils are better at things then others. Just because one oil is the best doesn't mean it will meet my needs,when I only send 10% of my times below 4500 RPM on autoX day, what good is a test to me that only talks about wear and tear during start up?
Cause I think it was like 50% of engine wear comes from that action when the oil is cold and thick
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And i can understadn if you only rev up to 4500,, but there are some very important points that are being over looked here,
Oil tends to break down aufull quick when exposed to extreme heat specially on a turbo charged car that is not moving very fast to keep the oil cool, those heat cycles strain the oil hence i would submitt to you to preffer an oil that will handle that abuse.

And if you have someone testing for start up only, well i would like to see more test personally, however start up is a very critical and dangerouse point, oil PSI is high filter is in bypass mode and the engine needs oil NOW specially the top end where oil has dripped all the way to the pan,,, so then i can agree when someone has a test dedicated for how oil behaves during start up.
But keep in mind there a a series of testing that is conducted.