Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ultimate racing performance muffler vs. Catback

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badreligi0n
Yet again IT IS NOT FEDERALLAY REQUIRED.... It is required to sell the car, but emissions vary juristiction to juristicion. And why would a dealer care? Do they check your insurance and registration everytime you bring in a car because i know those are required also... So isnt a drivers licence but they dont check for those either :]
wow, i guess you dont realize that federal means ALL STATES. its a HUGE fine if you are caught by a dot guy not running a cat converter. im not making this **** up, look it up - federal means all states.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now now Jason, no need to be swearing, quit being a troll, the man asked a question and i answered but telling him the dealer wont care, and that I have had yet to encounter any problem and it does what he wants, a louder sounding exhaust and doesnt need a retune.

I wont further try to discuss anything else since we have resorted to swearing.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by badreligi0n
Now now Jason, no need to be swearing, quit being a troll, the man asked a question and i answered but telling him the dealer wont care, and that I have had yet to encounter any problem and it does what he wants, a louder sounding exhaust and doesnt need a retune.

I wont further try to discuss anything else since we have resorted to swearing.
lol, not swearing - thats a common line, like, "you cant make this **** up."
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

It really is technically Federally illegal to tamper with your emissions systems.

Here it is in black and white:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...2----000-.html

Subsection 3, Paragraphs A and B:

(a) Enumerated prohibitions
The following acts and the causing thereof are prohibited—
(3)

(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or

(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use;
The only problem with the law is the federal government (even though it makes requirements such as these) does not have any infrastructure in place to verify emissions components aren't being tampered with by end users. So, people do it anyway, get away with it, and a lot of businesses don't really care.

So, just because a dealership didn't act like they cared when they "inspected" your car, does not mean it isn't illegal...
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:49 PM

Back to the question of noise. I was thinking of getting UR muffler for now and then upgrading the rest to go cat back in Febuary. I love the way it sounds from all the youtube vids I have seen. My question is, and I think I know the answer already, Is it too load and droning if i have a kid in the back? If it is just a little more noise I am thinking it is ok, but if its true, like some of the posts I have read that it is very droning, I cant do that to my kid. Be honest guys, Is it a bad idea to upgrade exhaust if I will be driving my son to and from school everyday. His comfort far far outweighs my desire for performance. Thanks in advance.....
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Since when is a UR exhaust not loud??? I have one and even on E85, which lowers its tone, I still set off car alarms daily.

BTW, before you go UR, be aware the quality sucks. Depending on the day, my exhaust tips are never perfectly lined straight, one is always sticking out more than the other.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:37 PM

I just did my exhaust, no cat with a test pipe and it sounds a lot rougher which I like and has a nice purr to it
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Krisko
Since when is a UR exhaust not loud??? I have one and even on E85, which lowers its tone, I still set off car alarms daily.

BTW, before you go UR, be aware the quality sucks. Depending on the day, my exhaust tips are never perfectly lined straight, one is always sticking out more than the other.
Do you just have a muffler?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MELUTION
I just did my exhaust, no cat with a test pipe and it sounds a lot rougher which I like and has a nice purr to it
did you get a tune with that TP installed? i see people saying on here that you don't need a tune with a TP; but if you don't won't you overboost??

I was also wanting to buy a TP but the tuning part turned me off..
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Slyy
did you get a tune with that TP installed? i see people saying on here that you don't need a tune with a TP; but if you don't won't you overboost??

i havent tuned it yet but its not giving me a problem
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

OK let me help you out here. I have UR catback with resonator and minimuffler, stock cat. having 3 people in the back you cannot have a conversation with them. The sound in the back is still really loud even with the quiet options. My UR catback is about 30% louder than my brother's evo with a turboback and ams high flow cat because of UR's straight through design. I have a test pipe in my garage, but I am scared to add it because the car is already loud as hell (and easily draws the attention of bystanders and sometimes other drivers). Any louder and the car would lose all practicality, IE I would be embarrassed to bring it to work, frustrated driving on the highway (I have to bump the radio up to 28-30 to completely block it out at ~3k rpm already), and my neighbours would hate me (if they don't by now) And you have to remember that as the insulation in the mufflers break down it gets louder as well.

That being said, if I had kids, I would consider my setup to be the maximum that I would put them through.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frank120
Do you just have a muffler?
Yes, on the midpipe and dual catback.

Everything crankIT said is 100% true. This is exhaust has a very loud aggressive tone, however, it will never be confused with your typical ricer fart can. Just remember the quality isnt all there.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crankIT
OK let me help you out here. I have UR catback with resonator and minimuffler, stock cat. having 3 people in the back you cannot have a conversation with them. The sound in the back is still really loud even with the quiet options. My UR catback is about 30% louder than my brother's evo with a turboback and ams high flow cat because of UR's straight through design. I have a test pipe in my garage, but I am scared to add it because the car is already loud as hell (and easily draws the attention of bystanders and sometimes other drivers). Any louder and the car would lose all practicality, IE I would be embarrassed to bring it to work, frustrated driving on the highway (I have to bump the radio up to 28-30 to completely block it out at ~3k rpm already), and my neighbours would hate me (if they don't by now) And you have to remember that as the insulation in the mufflers break down it gets louder as well.

That being said, if I had kids, I would consider my setup to be the maximum that I would put them through.
Are you guys all talking about the twin, or single.

I have the UR single and its very quiet with the Minimuffler mid pipe and mini test pipe. I had a cat on there before and it was more quiet then with the mini muff test pipe.

NEWB
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slyy

I'm pretty sure TP do not require a tune.

I've had mine on since there was about 1,000kms on the odometer. Never had an issue, and no cel either. There was a noticable gain too.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience seems to conflict with others who have posted here, but I figured I'd share anyway.

I started with just the UR Axleback. I considered it loud and at highway speeds the drone was unbearable for those in the back. I then upgraded to the UR cat-back with the resonator and mini-muffler options. The drone was defeated and the loudness of the exhaust has also decreased in-cabin. I have no problem holding conversations in the rear. I recently upgraded the downpipe and HFC. Loudness increased slightly, still no drone, and exhaust note is deeper.

To the OP, if you want it to be louder, go full straight pipe.

Quick Reply: Ultimate racing performance muffler vs. Catback