Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How to get back the control when sliding in a turn on snow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get back the control when sliding in a turn on snow

I am living in a place with snow. People who has experienced with a snowing winter would know that the car would slide outward in a turn if you drive too fast. Of course the best way to gain control is to drive slowly. However, if you were accidentally turning too fast, what would be the fastest way to get back the control?

In my case, I was making a left turn. I was just turning too fast that the tail of the car slide to the right a bit. Then I turn my steering wheel right, but then the tail slide to the left. Repeating the step, the car's tail keep sliding to both side like 4 time before I can get back the control. Well, I don't think this is the correct way to drive the car as I have seen a lot of video that people can do it so smoothly especially in a Rally competition.

Can someone just give me suggestion to avoid an accident?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

There really is no perfect way to get a car under control since every occurence has its own set of variables. There are general rules to controlling a car in a slide. These include turning into a skid, not slamming on the brakes, and not gunning the throttle.

BTW, what you were experiencing is called fishtailing.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't do much driving in the snow, but I have noticed a couple of things.

1). (Understeer) The Stability Control on these cars is actually really great. If the car begins to slide, take your feet off of both the brake and throttle (obviously), and point the steering wheels in the direction that you are trying to go. When you apply opposite lock at slow speeds, you are regaining traction and then sliding again. Don't fight the on-board systems. The car will sort that out.

2). (Oversteer) Conventional wisdom will tell you to apply opposite lock and try to adjust the angle of the slide with minor throttle. I have yet to be in this situation, but my gut tells me that you want to apply the same technique as before. Take your feet off of the pedals and do the best you can to point the front wheels in the direction that you are trying to head. AFAIK, that is what the Stability Control program is designed to work within those parameters.

I hope that that was helpful. If you want to practice the Scandinavian Flick, please do so in a vacant parking lot.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Damn it! Now I want to learn how to do a Scandinavian Flick!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg1...shi-evo-x_auto
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Scandinavian Flick.. yay!

Practicing in an empty parking lot can get you a good idea of how you can control your car. Although cops might not be happy with that..
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

NFS - You have to be careful with your theory for oversteer. If you lift off the throttle too much the car will begin rotating faster, and you coyld spin off into a tree and die.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Only practice will help you learn how to do it. There is also a point where nothing will help; if you go in way too hot, you're boned. Learning to balance the throttle and brakes will help you out.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
NFS - You have to be careful with your theory for oversteer. If you lift off the throttle too much the car will begin rotating faster, and you coyld spin off into a tree and die.
Ha. I guess that that all depends on just how fast he is taking these turns.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitlan
I am living in a place with snow. People who has experienced with a snowing winter would know that the car would slide outward in a turn if you drive too fast. Of course the best way to gain control is to drive slowly. However, if you were accidentally turning too fast, what would be the fastest way to get back the control?

In my case, I was making a left turn. I was just turning too fast that the tail of the car slide to the right a bit. Then I turn my steering wheel right, but then the tail slide to the left. Repeating the step, the car's tail keep sliding to both side like 4 time before I can get back the control. Well, I don't think this is the correct way to drive the car as I have seen a lot of video that people can do it so smoothly especially in a Rally competition.

Can someone just give me suggestion to avoid an accident?
It took so many times to correct because you kept over compensating and turning the wheel to much to correct it.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:09 PM

like most have said you have to practice. go to a parking lot. spin the car around get used to it. A huge error that most make is they understand to steer into the skid, but you also have to apply fuel in doing this. If you just steer, and don't apply throttle, nothing till happen and can make the situation worse. ( does not apply to rear wheel drive)
Find the setting for AWC that works best for you. With the distribution of power you may feel you like lets say gravel instead of snow. personal preference.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Practicing in a parking lot is what I would do, honestly. The problem is that I would start having fun with that really quickly.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Considering how many times you used the term "opposite lock" in your posts, I'm guessing you were applying too much steering input which would have induced fishtailing as hotshot1 mentioned. Less steering input would have probably helped you control the slide and regained control of the car instead of making it worse. There really is no substitute for experience in this scenario. Sno-nuts in a parking lot are great fun and but try to learn about how your car handles while you're at it.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

your better off with small corrections, you overcorrected and thats what caused the fish tail.

also if your lucky and the lakes freeze up enough around you, thats an even better option for learning how to control in low traction. plus nothing to hit.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

will cops give you ticket for drifting donuts in the empty parking lot far from neighborhood? or just give you a warning?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bacquerel
will cops give you ticket for drifting donuts in the empty parking lot far from neighborhood? or just give you a warning?
If your sitting their doing nothing but donuts, then you will most likely get a ticket.

But if your trying to learn some car control (recover from a slide and such, no visible donuts contrails ) you stand a good chance to talk yourself out of it.

Quick Reply: How to get back the control when sliding in a turn on snow