Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

warranty info please help! mods!!suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post warranty info please help! mods!!suggestions!

ok so i have a 2011 lancer ralliart. now the next thing i want to do is lower my car and maybe do some engine mods. btw money is kinda tight so any suggestions for those mods? also if i do any engine mods and or lower the car does it take off the warranty?
Old May 21, 2012, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Quick answer...

Lowering will not void the warranty, except maybe on suspension parts, but you should be fine.

Mod the engine and suffer the voided warranty. You might be okay, but ask yourself if you want to roll the dice. Mitsubishi really cracked down on this.

My transmission went out at 18K miles...no mods, cost to replace was $10,000 just for the tranny. Mitsubishi sent out a rep to examine my car before they covered the repair under warranty.

My advice, don't mess with the engine unless you have the money to play with.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:55 AM

warranty/lowering

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
Quick answer...

Lowering will not void the warranty, except maybe on suspension parts, but you should be fine.

Mod the engine and suffer the voided warranty. You might be okay, but ask yourself if you want to roll the dice. Mitsubishi really cracked down on this.

My transmission went out at 18K miles...no mods, cost to replace was $10,000 just for the tranny. Mitsubishi sent out a rep to examine my car before they covered the repair under warranty.

My advice, don't mess with the engine unless you have the money to play with.
so if i buy springs to lower my car i should be fine?
Old May 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

seriously, if money is tight, AND you're worried about warranty, don't mod anything. Just wait until you can afford to pay for the repair bills associated with whatever part of the car you mod.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
seriously, if money is tight, AND you're worried about warranty, don't mod anything. Just wait until you can afford to pay for the repair bills associated with whatever part of the car you mod.
I agree.

On a side note, if you install springs and the motor or transmission blows up they can not claim it was because you modified the suspension.

Shocks, struts, etc. go bad, yes they can claim it was because you modified the suspension and refuse to cover it.

Bottom line, don't play unless you can pay.

I have had my Ralliart stock for 3 years now, b2b is out of warranty, but the dt is still covered.

Personally, I have just decided to go for a new Evo with a warranty rather than mod my RA and try to make it go as fast as an Evo and worry about blowing up a $10,000 transmission.
Old May 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

I agree.

On a side note, if you install springs and the motor or transmission blows up they can not claim it was because you modified the suspension.

Shocks, struts, etc. go bad, yes they can claim it was because you modified the suspension and refuse to cover it.

I have had my Ralliart stock for 3 years now, b2b is out of warranty, but the dt is still covered.

Personally, I have just decided to go for a new Evo with a warranty rather than mod my RA and try to make it go as fast as an Evo and worry about blowing up a $10,000 transmission.
IMO, you buy this type of a car to mod. If you were going to just drive the car in its stock form, I think there are better options. However, if you are modding correctly, you shouldn't have to "worry" about breaking the transmissions. Of course there will be some exceptions to this but Mitsubishi's are not renown for their reliability.

However, I agree with the guys that say to wait if you are tight on cash. While you might have enough money to purchase the parts, labor can be expensive if you don't down your own work. For example, Swift Springs or something similar will cost you ~$300 but this can easily be 1-1.5hr per corner at $100-120 an hour. Find someone with a Tactrix cable, and get them to help you flash your car for a case of beer. That should be the cheapest and greatest thing you can do for you car until you can afford more toys.
Old May 22, 2012, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Research the Magnusson-Moss Act. Basically, the manufacturer or dealer has to prove that whatever they're denying coverage on, was caused DIRECTLY by your mod. Shocks go out, and you've got lowering springs? Probably not going to get new shocks. Throw a rod with an aftermarket air filter... They'll probably try to deny it but you can fight and win.
Old May 22, 2012, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Modding is never a smart idea when money is an issue, trust me. I would also value a stock vehicle more than a modified one, think about it.
Old May 22, 2012, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Magrud3r
Modding is never a smart idea when money is an issue, trust me. I would also value a stock vehicle more than a modified one, think about it.
Agreed on both points. Although, with cars like the Evo you can get away with minor mods before it really affects value. If it were a Civic or base Lancer, then you're totally right. Cars with a mostly "enthusiast" market will usually sell with minor mods. Cars bought by the rest of society (you know, besides us crazy people...) are typically less forgiving of mods when it comes time to resell.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:10 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For those who think any kind of "Act" can protect you, has anyone ever heard of the "they have more money for lawyers than you" Act?

Or the "engineers are fraking creative and will find a way for your lowered suspension to void your transmission warranty" Act? How about if they use this act with the above act?

Man up, it's called "pay to play" for a reason. Thinking that some Act on paper will protect you is like thinking Facebook is worth $38 a share.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

i see wut you did dar!
Old May 24, 2012, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xi
For those who think any kind of "Act" can protect you, has anyone ever heard of the "they have more money for lawyers than you" Act?

Or the "engineers are fraking creative and will find a way for your lowered suspension to void your transmission warranty" Act? How about if they use this act with the above act?

Man up, it's called "pay to play" for a reason. Thinking that some Act on paper will protect you is like thinking Facebook is worth $38 a share.
That is what small claims is for. If you can't win the cost of a new tranny in small claims because they try and claim that your lowering springs killed your tranny...your a blooming moron (or you slept with the judges wife...which confirms the first point really).

Also, get friendly with your local dealership. Friendly dealers will go further to get a claim accepted. But yes, if you don't have a couple grand cushion, dicking around your car is probably not the best of ideas.
Old May 24, 2012, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

I agree.

Transmission is lower than $10,000, just saying and seems like its getting lower each year. Congrats on sith killer with the Evo. Why go right back to an SST if you had failure before with the ralliart should have just went with a GSR. To the topic creator as long as you didn't mess with the engine you should be fine about engine and transmission warranties.

Last edited by Tiresomejunk; May 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tiresomejunk
Transmission is lower than $10,000, just saying and seems like its getting lower each year. Congrats on sith killer with the Evo. Why go right back to an SST if you had failure before with the ralliart should have just went with a GSR. To the topic creator as long as you didn't mess with the engine you should be fine about engine and transmission warranties.

How much is replacement now (roughly)?
Old May 24, 2012, 07:28 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdNapalm
That is what small claims is for. If you can't win the cost of a new tranny in small claims because they try and claim that your lowering springs killed your tranny...your a blooming moron (or you slept with the judges wife...which confirms the first point really).

Also, get friendly with your local dealership. Friendly dealers will go further to get a claim accepted. But yes, if you don't have a couple grand cushion, dicking around your car is probably not the best of ideas.
If I can't win the cost of a transmission, it won't be because I'm a blooming moron. It'll be because the cost of a transmission is almost double what you can file for in California SMALL CLAIMS (unless you want to sleep with the judge). That's some horrible bullsh*t advice at best and could ruin someone's finances at worst. Do NOT sleep with the judge either, I'm sure there are some laws against that.

Check with your lawyer, there may be all of 2 states in the entire country that will let you file for anywhere near the cost of a TC-SST.

Getting friendly with your dealer's always a good idea but just don't rely on it t be 100%. For big ticket items, it's up to HQ. And if HQ sends out an engineer, be prepared to sleep with the engineer. Or if the dealer's the better looking one, sleep with the dealer to convince him to sleep with the engineer. Or both if you wanna cover all your bases.

Last edited by xi; May 24, 2012 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: warranty info please help! mods!!suggestions!