Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Starting to get expensive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
1. Gas? Really, you've done the X turbo swap and you are going for 400 hp, but you are worried about gas for an X.

2. The warranty for the Evolution and the Ralliart is the EXACT same warranty.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/...M_Complete.pdf

3. My Evo is a MUCH more comfortable dd than my RA ever was, less road noise, better handling, better braking, smoother acceleration, more comfortable. The MR with touring/premium package was built for dd.

4. Insurance was $35 more a month.

5. Are there a lot of X's on the market, yes, for a lot of different reasons I suspect. First of all it is the longest running Evolution model to date, with a 6 year run 2008-2013 (four if you take out 2009 and 2013 though they were still selling in 2009). That's already longer than the 8 or 9, almost as long as the two combined, so that is a big factor. Also some of the 8/9 fans and owners went out and bought them and were disappointed because it is slower, heavier, and not nearly as raw. However, you will also notice that the resale value on the cars remains quite high (much higher than average cars), which is a good sign.

Honestly, for me, it's not about saying I drive an Evo. I loved my RA and daily drove it for 3 years with no complaints. But my new car is a better all around dd than my RA was.

I'm not knocking the RA, like I said, I loved the car and was seriously considering throwing a bunch on time/money into it, especially since I had already passed my 3 year bumper to bumper and was quickly headed towards the end of my 5 year powertrain warranty. At the end of the day I just looked at how much I was going to dump into the car and how much more the Evo was and what the advantages were. I decided to go with the Evo.

Others feel differently and I respect that, everybody has their reasons, but warranty, gas, dd, and resale do not seem like very good ones, IMO.
I see your point but you going from a SST to a SST Evo is definitely a no go. At least get the GSR. When that transmission goes its going to go hard. I'm still up in the air with this one. If I do plan on getting an X it will be the GSR due to the cheaper transmission. The resell value of my car is way over from what I owe on it currently. There is still a possibility for me to sell it as is before I add the massive additional mods I want on it.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:22 PM

If you happen to be selling your front chrome ring from your ralliart please let me know, mine doesnt exist any more lol.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tiresomejunk
I see your point but you going from a SST to a SST Evo is definitely a no go. At least get the GSR. When that transmission goes its going to go hard. I'm still up in the air with this one. If I do plan on getting an X it will be the GSR due to the cheaper transmission. The resell value of my car is way over from what I owe on it currently. There is still a possibility for me to sell it as is before I add the massive additional mods I want on it.
I'm actually shocked to hear a statement like that from a RA owner. Usually only GSR owner's say such ignorant things
Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I still dont understand the whole transmission deal.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by RalliMark
I still dont understand the whole transmission deal.
The only thing I seem to understand about them is that they're hit or miss. Much like the Evo 8's death whine transfer case
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

What I mean by that I dont understand why everyone says the trans are a bomb.....just because of a few trans being replaced....and replaced more because Mitsu dealers dont want/know how to work on them. I love the trans I wish I could put it all of my cars.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
I'm actually shocked to hear a statement like that from a RA owner. Usually only GSR owner's say such ignorant things
Reason I say this is because my original SST did go out at close to 20,000 miles. Never tracked or driven hard. Since it's been replaced I have no issues with it. I just don't like the fact in the back of my mind that if my transmission goes again I would have to come out $8,000-$9,000 to get it replaced, due to vehicle being out of warranty. I like the SST also but the GT-R has a way better SST. If it was like that I would have no worries in the world and be an added bonus for tuners to be able to tune the SST that was unlocked.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TedMitsu
If you happen to be selling your front chrome ring from your ralliart please let me know, mine doesnt exist any more lol.
Car will be sold as a whole not going to part out the ring. Sorry
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Reason I say this is because my original SST did go out at close to 20,000 miles. Never tracked or driven hard. Since it's been replaced I have no issues with it. I just don't like the fact in the back of my mind that if my transmission goes again I would have to come out $8,000-$9,000 to get it replaced, due to vehicle being out of warranty. I like the SST also but the GT-R has a way better SST. If it was like that I would have no worries in the world and be an added bonus for tuners to be able to tune the SST that was unlocked.

Only thing is, especially in Canada, Gtr = three ralliarts
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I hear you on the transmission, but this is my dd and I don't have any plans for it outside keeping it flawless and babying the **** out of it. My RA transmission went out at 18,000 miles and was replaced under warranty...$10K for the transmission alone, the car was only $26K!!!

The upside is, there are a couple companies making upgrade/rebuild kits and the prices will come down over time as these companies have to compete and they sell more of their kits. I suspect that by the time my warranty goes out TC-SST owners will have sub $2,000 options for upgrading/replacing those burned out clutch packs. Hopefully they will crack the TCU and we can see some real progress.

I currently have a 240SX, but I'm thinking about a picking up a IX for some real modding fun, if I can find one for the right price.

GSR was a no no for me, bad knees = no 3rd pedal for a dd. The dealer tried like crazy to put me into a slightly used 2012 GSR (3,000 miles on the clock) but I held out for the MR.

If I were planning on buying an X to mod I would go used (probably 2008) and save the coin for mods...I still might, who knows...it just seems that for a more pure, raw driving experience the 8/9 is the way to go. Honestly, I haven't driven an 8/9 yet, so that will be the final determining factor in what I decide to get for my toy.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Things might be looking up if the SST is able to get fixed without getting a brand new one, then I am good. I saw another thread showing that Mitsubishi is slowly but surely posting parts of the SST. Check the SST in the Evo X section its in there. I guess I will keep my car then.

To sith killer 99 I thought you were leaving Ft. Hood. I will be back in time for the 4th July. Hope to meet you. Wasn't trying to bag your ride or purchase decision.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

To sith killer 99 I thought you were leaving Ft. Hood. I will be back in time for the 4th July. Hope to meet you. Wasn't trying to bag your ride or purchase decision.
Cool! I will be here until mid-July, taking a full month of much needed leave, report date at Ft. Sam is 10 August.

As for the ride, it's all good.