Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Starting to get expensive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting to get expensive

How do you guys keep upgrading like it's nothing? Stuff is starting to get expensive real quick. I'm going to have to stop getting these upgrades for the next year. After I install the mods in my sig. I will have a lot of parts for sale. So look out for the for sale post I will be posting alot of oem with some aftermarket stuff for both the ralliart and evo x at the end of June 1st week of July. Just a heads up.

Last edited by Tiresomejunk; Jun 3, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Its easy to stop when you pay a lot more for an exhaust than it should have been.

Old news but that's what happened for me.

Turbo upgrade would most likely be synonymous with a brake and coilover upgrade, and then wider profile tires, with a roll. And just thinking about the base price not including labor if need be plus, the extra costs for things that may go wrong, I just don't want to go down that path....
Old Jun 3, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

We don't... we do what's in budget when in budget. If it's currently not in budget, we wait and save until it is.

Naturally everybody has different levels of expendable income. So, some people are able to do more before the budget becomes an issue.

Personally, having the most modified car first is not a race for me. I'm in it to enjoy the car, and enjoy making the modifications myself. There are only a few things that I will contract out to shops to do for me, and those are mostly due to available tools, and a PITA level of 9 or higher. For example, changing the down pipe was PITA level 9 for me due to no lift and only having hand tools. I now have more/better power tools on hand, but even so, when it comes time for the turbo, that is gets a shop too that ranks a PITA level 10, IMO (mostly due to no lift).
Old Jun 3, 2012, 06:13 PM

Yea, everyone's budget is going to be different. I bought mine with some mods on it so it's saved me some money but I'm happy with the way it is. Though going to get the boost pill b/c it's so cheap. Yes, modding is expensive and can ruin finances if not controlled though. The bug can get real bad
Old Jun 3, 2012, 06:53 PM

I mod my car someway when I start getting comfortable with it again. It's like a new toy to keep me occupied for a bit, then it's a cycle that repeats.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

My last mod was REALLY expensive, but I upgraded everything and bought a 2012 Evo X MR.

I was all set to do the X turbo swap, FMIC, pipes, suspension, etc. But when I looked at the cost for everything I said, f it, I'll just trade the RA in for the Evo MR.

Upgrades paid for themselves. Though I lost the fun of doing the work myself, and it will be some time before I can drop any serious cash on upgrades for the Evo.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sith_killer_99
My last mod was REALLY expensive, but I upgraded everything and bought a 2012 Evo X MR.

I was all set to do the X turbo swap, FMIC, pipes, suspension, etc. But when I looked at the cost for everything I said, f it, I'll just trade the RA in for the Evo MR.

Upgrades paid for themselves. Though I lost the fun of doing the work myself, and it will be some time before I can drop any serious cash on upgrades for the Evo.
I have the opportunity to do the same thing but when I think of the X or see people drive an X. My outlook at the car is its a rally car. Why would someone try to make it a daily driver? The gas is horrible insurance is higher than normal, the warranty sucks for it, just to say I have an Evo X is no justification for me. Plus I see most people getting rid of their Evo X which is not a good sign for me to notice. Reason I got the Ralliart was that its the underdog/different and gas is not bad with insurance. All Im trying to do is get my ralliart at 400whp and 350whp - 330whp safely without messing with the stock block. I will try my luck with Cobb Plano and hopefully they can get me up to that level with the mods I need installed. After this it will be a long while till I mess with the car again. Can't wait for the results of this new stuff I got.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 06:17 AM

Just be careful and mod within your budget. I have a buddy of my with a nasty twin turbo GTO that was running low 10's and still could easily be daily driven. Had almost 40K in CC debt with all of the work he had done to it but he was happy. Until he lost a piston..........now he has a car payment, four CC payments and a nice car that won't run. Moral of the story "always plan for the worse and if it doesn't happen consider yourself one of the lucky few"
Old Jun 4, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not trying to do anything ridiculous like that. If I can get a low 12 or high 11 second car is fine with me. I don't beat my car up or have drag raced/ tracked it. Would like to do 1/4 a couple of times that's all to see where my ride is at.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tiresomejunk
I have the opportunity to do the same thing but when I think of the X or see people drive an X. My outlook at the car is its a rally car. Why would someone try to make it a daily driver? The gas is horrible insurance is higher than normal, the warranty sucks for it, just to say I have an Evo X is no justification for me. Plus I see most people getting rid of their Evo X which is not a good sign for me to notice. Reason I got the Ralliart was that its the underdog/different and gas is not bad with insurance. All Im trying to do is get my ralliart at 400whp and 350whp - 330whp safely without messing with the stock block. I will try my luck with Cobb Plano and hopefully they can get me up to that level with the mods I need installed. After this it will be a long while till I mess with the car again. Can't wait for the results of this new stuff I got.
1. Gas? Really, you've done the X turbo swap and you are going for 400 hp, but you are worried about gas for an X.

2. The warranty for the Evolution and the Ralliart is the EXACT same warranty.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/...M_Complete.pdf

3. My Evo is a MUCH more comfortable dd than my RA ever was, less road noise, better handling, better braking, smoother acceleration, more comfortable. The MR with touring/premium package was built for dd.

4. Insurance was $35 more a month.

5. Are there a lot of X's on the market, yes, for a lot of different reasons I suspect. First of all it is the longest running Evolution model to date, with a 6 year run 2008-2013 (four if you take out 2009 and 2013 though they were still selling in 2009). That's already longer than the 8 or 9, almost as long as the two combined, so that is a big factor. Also some of the 8/9 fans and owners went out and bought them and were disappointed because it is slower, heavier, and not nearly as raw. However, you will also notice that the resale value on the cars remains quite high (much higher than average cars), which is a good sign.

Honestly, for me, it's not about saying I drive an Evo. I loved my RA and daily drove it for 3 years with no complaints. But my new car is a better all around dd than my RA was.

I'm not knocking the RA, like I said, I loved the car and was seriously considering throwing a bunch on time/money into it, especially since I had already passed my 3 year bumper to bumper and was quickly headed towards the end of my 5 year powertrain warranty. At the end of the day I just looked at how much I was going to dump into the car and how much more the Evo was and what the advantages were. I decided to go with the Evo.

Others feel differently and I respect that, everybody has their reasons, but warranty, gas, dd, and resale do not seem like very good ones, IMO.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear you about this car turning into a money pit. I admit I got carried away quickly with modding it, I had that bug like a ****, lol.

But part of the issue was the lack of tools and location to install a lot of this stuff myself, like my coilovers. I could have saved 1/4 of what I've spend overall just in shop costs because I didn't have anywhere to do them nor did I have the proper tools available. Live and learn I guess.

But I've started the process of determining what I really want/need and what I don't, and I'm going to be selling those items. I have a UR catback with a Depo HFC, and with this new job I might start next month, I can't have this exhaust. Too loud and not legal for emissions, so I'll have to go back to the stock exhaust. Coilovers are no problem because my car is still in the legal height parameters as specified by the VA safety inspection. The only other "illegal" mod is my tinted plate covers, no big deal with those.

My other reasoning is since this is my daily driver, and I can't afford a $10k transmission, I need to be able to have the warranty honored if something goes wrong. Having a full turboback exhaust won't help my case at all, and I'm cutting it close with a boost pill installed and a GST flash.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Thats why Im stayin all show no go baby! Lolz... well not so much but just minor mods for sure. After the fiasco with my GTO goin out on me after warranty, I never wanna go thru that again...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:52 PM

Theres just people posting all the time about new stuff not like its the same person getting new stufff everyday
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Champion3
Theres just people posting all the time about new stuff not like its the same person getting new stufff everyday
That made my brain hurt...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 01:06 PM

Not suprised