Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Steering Wheel Controls Problem

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Controls Problem

Im just curious if anyone else has had the same problem Im having with my 2010 Ralliart steering wheel controls. Almost every time I go to switch stations on my steering wheel it doesnt switch them, instead it turns the volume up & sometimes down. The volume controls do that same thing sometimes and I have to actually use the navi touchscreen to switch the channels instead. It also will go to the voice command section where I tend to start screaming cancel because Im usually super pissed at this point!! Anyone else run into this crap?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My controls are fine on my 2011 but i do not have the Nav, I have the RF 6-disc.
I have a problem sometimes when I'm streaming via Bluetooth from my phone, If i move my mirror controls, my Bluetooth disconnects, then reconnects. I'ts possibly a short or somehow the system cant handle all these functions at once and gives mirror control priority?

I would try to take off the panel for the steering wheel and look at the connection where the buttons are, it might be something catching or a piece of debris crossing the connections?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You need a new clock spring: common cause for this problem.

I'm guessing that every time it happens the wheel position is off center. Give it a try; hold it perfectly straight and it'll work ok, turn it and the controls won't work properly.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 PM

This kind of happened to me but i have a 2009 RA, all i did was disconnect the car's battery then reconnected it again and all the systems reset and the problem was solved
Old Jun 20, 2013, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
You need a new clock spring: common cause for this problem.

I'm guessing that every time it happens the wheel position is off center. Give it a try; hold it perfectly straight and it'll work ok, turn it and the controls won't work properly.
Wow....exactly! Alright Im def gonna try this and hopefully it works. Thanks man.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:49 PM

My 09 GTS had the same problem. I just traded it in and got a RA instead haha!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:55 AM

Very well could be the clock spring. None of my controls worked and when I lost power to the horn I took it into my guy. He said the clock spring was all messed up and to take it to the dealer cause it was covered
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DeepFrz
My 09 GTS had the same problem. I just traded it in and got a RA instead haha!
Oh I had and still have many thoughts about trading in for an Evo but my car is more than half paid off and Ive put so much money into this car that I dunno if it worth doing it all again.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have now the same problem in my 2010 RA, it's rather annoying to have the voice control pop up when you're trying to adjust volume on the radio.

How is the clock spring related to this exactly? I've just run out of warranty so it'd be nice to know how this could easily be fixed..
Old Sep 16, 2015, 03:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Laza
I have now the same problem in my 2010 RA, it's rather annoying to have the voice control pop up when you're trying to adjust volume on the radio.

How is the clock spring related to this exactly? I've just run out of warranty so it'd be nice to know how this could easily be fixed..
The clock spring isn't for your clock,
Its a spring system for transferring the current of the buttons through the rotating joint of wheel. The old school way was to have 3 or 4 of these little springs spaced out along circular contact on the back of the wheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-MITSUBI...-/291032311321

That's what your after
Old Sep 16, 2015, 03:28 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, that pretty much explains it! I'll ask the stealership how much it'd cost to replace it..
Old Sep 16, 2015, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

I've had my volume up/down switch on the SW do the opposite a couple of times. But that's about it. Lucky me!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 05:11 PM

Controls

In my case, whenever I tried to adjust volume down the phone would activate. Just left the dealership. They changed the clock spring under warranty, and so far it seems to have corrected the problem.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Ive changed my clock spring once and it fixed my problems. However, its happening again so it looks like Ill be buying another one and replacing it once again....
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone have the mitsu part # for this item? I could try to ask the stealership for a quote...

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Controls Problem