Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Plasti dipped hood scoop on a Tarmac Black Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasti dipped hood scoop on a Tarmac Black Ralliart

Hey guys,

I see plasti dip used all the time to paint the hood scoop on non black ralliart but couldnt find any that were black. I decided to give it a shot, wasn't really sure if you would be able to notice it well on black car.

I must say I am very impressed. Matches the two smaller almost perfectly ( which i didn't paint).

Plasti dipped hood scoop on a Tarmac Black Ralliart-7jbq4av.jpg
Plasti dipped hood scoop on a Tarmac Black Ralliart-x0kwcqa.jpg
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks good.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks nice, I haven't tried plasti dip yet, easy to apply? Did the vent come off the hood fairly easy?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:10 PM

I like it! I wonder what clear would look like, instead of black dip. Did you take yours out to do it? I couldn't figure out how to take it out haha I taped around mine and did it that way.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 02:13 AM

Very nice. I think that I might have to do something similar.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:42 AM

It's simple to remove. There are about 10 plastic clips holding on the "heat mat". I just removed the top portion to let the mat hang down to make the underside of the scoop completley visible. Then there is 3-4 metal paper clip looking things that have to be removed. After that, there are 5-6 10mm bolts that need to be removed. After all those are out you will see two little prongs on the under side of the hood that you have to press in to pop the scoop out.

The scoop is actually two pieces that are held together by two tiny Phillips head screws. Separating these pieces will allow you to do a much better job getting the paint in all the corners.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

looks good now do the chrome front ring and chrome window trim. my whole car is plasti dipped matte clear. love it. photo album on my profile page.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:49 PM

Clean, I've been slowly leaning towards trying plastidip.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:54 PM

Looks good man!! And your right, no one else has posted a pik of a plasti-dipped bonnet scoop on a black RA =D Cheers!

Originally Posted by badchad23
looks good now do the chrome front ring and chrome window trim. my whole car is plasti dipped matte clear. love it. photo album on my profile page.
Whats it like after a rain? Does it get all white spotty like standard paint? Or is it not noticeable??
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

I saw this on the Evo thread last week about plastadip eating your paints clear coat..

It looks fine to use on chrome trim and emblems.. but might want to be careful on your car paint.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by neogeo64
I saw this on the Evo thread last week about plastadip eating your paints clear coat..

It looks fine to use on chrome trim and emblems.. but might want to be careful on your car paint.
I saw that too, which was why I was going to dip my hood scoop. I think a big bug or rock hit it, though, and it's got a pretty nasty spot where the paint is gone completely. I've been planning to dip it for a couple months now. I might just pull it off tomorrow night and do it.

Thanks for the motivation!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:34 PM

i might do mine looks good on the Tarmac Black
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by neogeo64

Have you read the entire thread?... OP did little research and thought he knew it all.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kissmeblind
Have you read the entire thread?... OP did little research and thought he knew it all.
I read it and thought it was funny. I have no issues with plastidip. Though I order mines through dipyourcar.com. I used the black one from the stores with no issues either. U just have to polish the paint and bam it's brand new if u let the plasti dip on to long. Same if u cover u car and store it or if u drive it daily. It will eventually need some polish.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fuego
I read it and thought it was funny. I have no issues with plastidip. Though I order mines through dipyourcar.com. I used the black one from the stores with no issues either. U just have to polish the paint and bam it's brand new if u let the plasti dip on to long. Same if u cover u car and store it or if u drive it daily. It will eventually need some polish.
Yea lol the OP in that thread had no idea what he was talking about. The cans DYC sells are the same cans Home Depot / Lowes sell. Only difference is DYC also sells gallons, which is what you would use to plastidip a whole car. The OP thought that you plastidip a whole car with cans lol some have done it yes, but most of the time it comes out like crap.

Quick Reply: Plasti dipped hood scoop on a Tarmac Black Ralliart