Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Any issues starting the car in brutally cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any issues starting the car in brutally cold weather?

I'm having issues starting my Ralliart 09 in very cold weather, but I remember not having a single problem with my GT 09.

Obviously the Lancers don't seem to come with block heaters, and I've just browsed google to get an answer on price and all... but it sounds like most people considered it a huge hassle, and it was expensive.

Last year it was doing the same thing, but I changed the battery, and then the weather immediately got nicer in mid Feb until spring, so I couldn't monitor for a difference.

So this winter, with our first big cold, it seems apparent that it did not fix my problem.

My car has 160,000km on it, I am the second owner. Last year, when I bought the car, the dealer changed the AWC pump. I always ask for synthetic oil when changing it. I was once told my spark plugs need to be changed, but it didn't seem to be an emergency.

When I start the car, it makes a slow winding noise, and sometimes something in the engine starts up really rough, the whole car shakes violently. I usually have to give it 4-5 staggered tries (trying not to burn out my battery).

Is it only my car? Are your RA's starting fine in cold weather? BTW I mean -20 Celcius here.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:38 AM

I have the same issue every winter (also an 09 ralliart). And I think several other do as well because I have seen posts about it. Also, I can tell you its probably not your spark plugs. I just had mine replaced (just because) and it happened again this winter. I find giving it a little gas (don't over do it) sometimes helps.

Also, probably important to note it is never not started eventually 9withing maybe 4-5 tries)
Old Nov 24, 2013, 04:09 PM

We had our first minor snowfall today and decided to pass starting mine up remotely just to see how it handled a cold startup. When I turned her on, I almost laughed because it literally made a "WOOOOooooooooo......" noise that went away after about 5 seconds. Gonna take it to the dealer for a double check, but who knows. Maybe she's just excited to wake up
Old Nov 24, 2013, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

I've started my Ralliart a lot in very cold weather (-15 to -30), it always makes that funny sound and it is normal.

The car has always started on the first try, however, so if you need multiple tries, your car isn't doing all that great.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I'd look into replacing your relays if you haven't already done so.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58941
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by splattj
I'd look into replacing your relays if you haven't already done so.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58941
I have never replaced my relays, but I have also never heard of this relay problem. It sounds a bit unbelievable that this thread talks about how my engine will blow if I don't get these replaced. I doubt that Mitsubishi would let a bunch of their engines fall apart like this without some sort of recall.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^wow.
Research some more and you will understand why it was good advice.

Physics!
How cold? Battery voltage and amperage drops as a result of cold. Fuel turns to gel and oil to molasees at low enough temps (nothing 'starts well' in these conditions. Nothing.)

Are other cars having the same issue? Or is it just symptomatic of the Mitsu /Lancers?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Senvae
I doubt that Mitsubishi would let a bunch of their engines fall apart like this without some sort of recall.
Must be your first Mitsubishi
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

it is why this was so funny/sad/true...
Attached Thumbnails Any issues starting the car in brutally cold weather?-mitsufail_zps063794ca.jpg  
Old Nov 26, 2013, 09:25 PM

It's my second Mitsubishi, but the first one was a 2009 GT model that got crashed into while it was peacefully parked in front of my house. So I bought a used RA to replace it. So it's my first older Mitsu.

So you guys think I should replace all these relays? Will they improve performance too or just prevent my car from dying? If I ask the Dealer about them, will they lie out of their teeth and tell me I'm crazy or do they have replacement kits for them? Where should I buy them? Do they just plug in where the old ones are, or do they need to be soldered there? Enlighten me here. The other threads were full of code talk and I am not an avid Mitsu racer, so I don't speak the code yet.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

So, the relays that the supplier was providing Mistubishi were of inferior quality/specification so Mitsubishi has actually gone through multiple models before switching to the latest Omron relays.

I'd go get new replacements. It won't improve performance but it should protect you from future issues. SSP makes it easy by selling a kit. At a minimum, I'd replace the MFI, Fuel Pump, and injector relays to resolve your cold mornings issue. For long-term reliability, eat the ~$70 and buy the kit.

And yes, the dealer should know about the issue as there was a Technical Service Bulletin issued by Mistubishi: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzni...t?pli=1&hl=en#
Old Nov 27, 2013, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

^but, no, the dealership won't just replace them. You have to complain bitterly, threaten to go corporate and perhaps (just perhaps) they may...

Just buy the relay kit and pull each one out and push the new one in. That easy!

It buys you peace-of-mind
Old Nov 28, 2013, 09:52 PM

Where is a good place to buy that kit for a good price?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Senvae
Where is a good place to buy that kit for a good price?
http://www.sspperformance.com/evo-x-...y-package.html
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:25 AM

Ok, thank you everyone for the info about the relays. I ordered them from the website you provided (couldn't find them anywhere else really). I still feel frustrated and robbed that this problem is not more public than this. I might already have some damage caused by this. I'm no mechanic, but I did smell some gas a few times when the car wouldn't start properly. Maybe that's a sign that the fuel pump was being an issue? Either way, the relays should be on the way soon. I hope those black Omrons really work better than the last ones.

Quick Reply: Any issues starting the car in brutally cold weather?