Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Before I pull the trigger on a 09 RA, what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I pull the trigger on a 09 RA, what do you guys think?

99% sure I am going to buy this RA. I have been lurking aroudn the forums the past few months and this is what I'm looking at.

http://www.importsautosales.com/web/...rsey/17507104/

I got the dealer down to 10.5 + fees and that includes a 3 month warrrenty. I'm thinking of doing a deal we worked out which is 11.2 (or close to it if memory serves me correctly) out the door and that includes a year/unlimited mile warranty that is pretty much bumper to bumper. I'm thinking of the year warranty cause I'm hoping if the SST craps out (cause of high mileage) that it will happen within a year.

I got the dealer to replace a wheel sensor for free that was throwing a ABS service message. I plan to change ALL fluids soon after I buy it. Basically I am just waiting on the check from my totaled car to come in the mail and head down to pick it up. The only thing mechanically I can tell is wrong is one wheel doesn't have a TPMS sensor and that is throwing a message. No big deal as my local mechanic can take care of that or if it doesn't hinder performance I may never fix it. I know it's said in the newer Hondas the missing sensor would cause the ECU to retard performance.

I test drove it and didn't note anything unusal. Sucks that it doesn't have the SSS package or that it isn't wicked white (the color i was hoping for). Found one that is but they want more than I can afford (or I should say more than I can give without having my wife want to kill me lol cause if I could I would have). But oh well. How hard would it be to incorporate the audio from the SSS package and the headlights on a base RA? would the headlights and sub be plug and play? Just thinking out loud.

Sorry for the rant, just thinking out loud lol. So what do you guys think? Fair price? Should I try to talk him down more? The dealer has been nice that they fix the ABS gripe for free and have put the car as not available while I wait on the USPS lol. No maintenance reccords from the previous owner as the dealer got this from an auction.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me...

Yes, I added the HIDs and stereo (both were aftermarket) to my base model. There is plenty of help in the audio and in EVO X and plain Lancer sub-forums.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Any clue how difficult it would be to put on the headlights and sound system of the SSS package into the car? Thinkin maybe I can find someone selling their equip and just plug and play if it's pretty much that easy.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

This looks like a great deal. This is exactly why people opt to go the Ralliart directions instead of Evo.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

ty guys. Veronica i'm gonna have to do some browsing i guess. So far I have just been lurking in the RA section.

I am not getting a evo for one big reason.... my wife. Basically some of the stipulations for this ride was it had to be auto so if in the case of an emergency she could drive it. (rare but it did happen once when i had the rental i have now) I really am gonna miss stick I think. I loved it, even in traffic.

And she developed a bad stigma for the evo lol. She doesn't see y someone would spend 16-20k on a 2008-2009 car and see it as not a grown up car. It took some convincing to get the ralliart in the mix and even then i was a chore. To her it looks too sporty and it's not a grown up car. I even had to tell a white lie and say you can run 87 in it lol. She is the typical wife that only sees a car as a mode of getting around in life and hates cars as a hobby lol. But that is a long story and I just say hey I was like this before marriage so she knew what she was getting into lol

but yeah this ralliart fits all her stipulations

4 doors, awd (wasn't a deal breaker but a big request from me), auto (of some sort), can take 87 (white lie but it was to squash a argument point of her father), can serve as a around town fam car (got a traverse for serious fam trips) and the same price or cheaper than her dad's car he offered (which was a damn good deal but I didn't want a forester).

if it was up totally to me it would be an evo and if I didn't have to land somewhere close to 11k I would have gotten the white RA I saw for 12.5 but that had a front end accident that left the intercoolers bend up on the bottom a good bit.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

sry i can be a long poster lol

so i take it the audio and headlights off any evo or reg lancer will work?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 09:05 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd be careful with those white lies, until she puts 87 in it and it blows up.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

lol she won't ever fill it. It will be rare that she even drives it lol. She barely fills her own tank (i end doing it mostly). So I just will keep putting in preimum. I'ts not much of a price diff so I don't know y some people complain about it.

But now that we are on that, in the event of a freak occurance of nature and i have to put 87 (which the only event i can think of is in NJ where i can't pump it my self and i just say fill her up) i would prob be fine putting some octane booster right? not saying this will be a regular occurance lol. Unless NJ gas people put priemum when they see that on the gas door. Never had to fill my last car in NJ (my last took premium).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
yes, keep a bottle of octane booster in the trunk "just in case"...

EBay and this FS forum have the light housings, ballasts, bulbs FS...

An aftermarket stereo can sometimes be a better solution than just finding the OEM stuff.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I was actually thinking about that last night as I late night surfed the forums. I was wondering I could get that is better than OEM for about the same price some are selling their OEM stuff for. Audio is prob the least familiar part of modding to me. My last car had a stock sub and it was good for me. So I'm just thinking something that can bring it up to at least the OEM system or maybe slightly better.

I was also thinking I have a quad retro for my last car that I was gonna sell for parts, but maybe I'm better at just keeping the parts and finding a extra set of stock housings and just build some projector lights. Or sell them as I originally planned and just buy the upgraded SSS lights. So many options lol. I'm excited with this new RA. But this time the modding will have to be slow and subtle as to not tip off the wife-dar lol. Like one thing I promised is this car won't be loud like my last (which wasn't that loud in the end).
Old Dec 3, 2014, 04:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Not only that, but your warranty that you're getting may be voided with aftermarket parts. The transmission can be a beast to be replaced (upwards of $10k if you have a shop do it). Be careful
Old Dec 3, 2014, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

oh yeah no doubt. But I doubt they can link audio or lighting mods to causing the SST to fail. Either way though, my rule has always been either no modding or very minimal mods til a car's warranty is up. I am thinking about getting the year long warranty and just enjoying the car and hope the tranny gets replaced under warranty. If not or after it's replaced I would love to get someone in my area to assist in the Super Sport flash.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Quick opinion question. If the SST has 88k on it and I have no clue if they changed fluids or of its been rebuilt (as the dealer go it off a dealer auction so no service records), do u guys think that if the SST will go it will be under 6 months? Just cause I can save a good chunk of money if I get the 6 month warrety vs the year long. Same bumper to bumper just one is longer. So basically I'm asking opinions to play the guessing game of if it will go soon or later I guess. Just thinking out loud.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Car looks fresh and unmodded.
I would just change all the fluids when you get it.
You can only review the condition of the SST filter and its usually nasty right away anyways.
The SST is still young, I'm just at 100k with my 2009. Totalownage here is way over 100,000 on stock clutches as well.

2009 models had 6/100k warranties on powertrain for original owners. It's a good thing they would warranty you. Subsequent 2009 owners dropped to 60,000 miles.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I bought the car. Got the car with the a 6 month warranty for 11k. There are a few things that I missed Lil that are no biggie for me lol. I didn't realize it was dropped, prob cause my brain said it looks good lol. Also I miss having a center console that u could adjust as I find my right arm search for a comfy resting spot. Other that the drop the car is stock. I'm hoping the tranny craps out right before 6 months and I can get then warranty to cover it lol. That would be sweet as a new tranny would make me consider not having to renew the warranty.

Love the car. Its a perfect comprise between the Evo I wanted and the requirements set forth by the wife lol. (Like has to be auto in case she has to drive in an emergency) she still is bent about it being too sporty as she sees it not as a grown up car but oh well.

Got the engine drive belt recall and the ecm flash done today. Car droves so much smoother and I think any butt dyno change is in my head from reading threads on here. Still is a pretty quick car. Plus I found via their conplimenty inspection that the clunk I heard it the sway bar joints or links being loose which are only 75 a piece and I can prob get my mech to do it cheaper than the stealership. But the dealership was awesome. They work through lunch to get me out in an hr for me to go back to work.

Quick Reply: Before I pull the trigger on a 09 RA, what do you guys think?