Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Calling all exhaust enthusiasts, question time!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling all exhaust enthusiasts, question time!

Hey guys, I don't post here often because I haven't had enough time to take care of my car for a while, but I finally have that window. I've owned the car for 3 years, bought it used, but a series of unfortunate event made it so I wouldn't be able to spend any money on it. Now I have a bit of freedom...

First things first, the previous owner had an exhaust system from the bowels of hell installed on this thing. My wife and I test drove a privately owned RotorGlow with a Borla catback, and when I bought this dealer-sold black one from the dealer and drove it home, she said it was unbearably loud, more than the other. I had to get rid of that exhaust because it became, soon after, our only car for the family (with babies). I exchanged pipes with a fellow member from Edmonton who had a spare stock pipe to give me in return.

Now I have a van for the kids, and I bought myself a Magnaflow 3" catback exhaust system online, got it delivered. But I noticed the pipe does shrink to 2.5" size just before the cat. What's bothering me is that I am pretty sure the previous owner had a full turbo-back exhaust. I say this because 1- my mechanic told me the cat was indeed aftermarket and very un-restrictive in appearance 2- it was VERY loud 3- behind that cat, it was basically straight pipes with a tiny resonator on it when the guy took it out for the trade. I think those pipes were 3". Pretty large anyways.

My questions is: Could I still consider it a turbo-back setup with that small choke point when using my Cobb Accessportv3 to tune it? I was hoping to use those stage 3 maps which indicates a turboback is recommended. Or should I consider myself to have a stock exhaust as far as maps is concerned?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Remember that a turbo-back exhaust would generally include a downpipe too. And I think the stage 3 needs an intake and some other stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about the 2.5" adapter into the catalytic converter. The cat will be more restrictive than the 2.5" piece. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have questions about the map and stuff, I've heard that cobb can help you adjust the map for your specific scenario.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Epyon
Remember that a turbo-back exhaust would generally include a downpipe too. And I think the stage 3 needs an intake and some other stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about the 2.5" adapter into the catalytic converter. The cat will be more restrictive than the 2.5" piece. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you have questions about the map and stuff, I've heard that cobb can help you adjust the map for your specific scenario.
Thanks! We'll I know for sure the cat is aftermarket and performance, my mechanic confirmed it. It leads me to believe there is probably a downpipe as well. Unless it's more common for people to spend money on a performance cat and not on a downpipe than I assumed. So I was mostly worried about that 2.5 inch choke point and what it would do to the whole system. As for other parts, I did get a Cobb drop in filter that claims to be stage 1. Not sure how good it is. But it is good advice about contacting Cobb. I am new to the Access port so I didn't know they could send me different maps than the ones on the device as delivered.

Edit- It bears to mention that the exhaust the previous owner installed wad VERY aggressive.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 03:01 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Don't worry about the "choke point". As long as you're running a high flow cat or test pipe (plus intake and ebc) you can use stage 3. I was in the same situation. Ran stage 3 for over 6 months with no issues on a "choke point" as you call it. Changed out recently for a full 3inch.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 07:28 PM

Well I have the exhaust in and it sounds B E A uuuutiful! Anyone know how I could check for the downpipe to see if it's OEM or not? I'm planning to jack the car up for a seasonal tire change in the next few weeks. FIgures I could take a peek but I wonder if there is any advice on how to identify it.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 06:16 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
The stock piece should have a heat shield. If you're still not sure just do a search on google.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Senvae
Well I have the exhaust in and it sounds B E A uuuutiful! Anyone know how I could check for the downpipe to see if it's OEM or not? I'm planning to jack the car up for a seasonal tire change in the next few weeks. FIgures I could take a peek but I wonder if there is any advice on how to identify it.
all aftermarket DP's should be stainless and shiny,and yes the stocker will have heat shielding around it.