Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Saying good bye...

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 02:17 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Saying good bye...

I thought I'd share my story. It helps me cope. I can't be the only one who's shed tears over an inanimate object but this weekend, I had to say good bye to an old friend. After 8 years and 140,000 miles, it was time to move on.

I had initally wanted an X but the gas mileage, insurance, lack of folding rear seats, and stiffer ride turned me off.

I walked into the dealership on a thursday afternoon thinking I would do a test drive and I wouldn't like it. 5 hours later, I drove off the lot thinking I had made a huge mistake. She was the first new car I ever had.

A few weeks later, I took her out on my first road trip, around 1800 miles.
Two years later, I would take her on our longest road trip, around 3800 miles through the blue ridge parkway and the smokeys. I think I completely burned out a set of brake pads on that one.

She's cruised at 120mph+ and also spent hours in bumper to bumper interstate traffic. Baked in the sun at 110F and froze at -25F ambient temperatures.
I've taken her on at least half a dozen 600+ mile drives across multiple states in absolute whiteout blizzards, drifting all over the road, clawing away for traction at 70mph the entire time.

She's spent hundreds of miles off road getting to trail heads.
I've replaced at least 4 front tires slamming into pot holes at high speed.
A tree trunk fell on her once while camping, denting the A-pillar and roof.
I've done 90% of the service on her myself.

Changed brakes, trans oil, engine oil, fluid flushes, wax once a month.
The amazing part is, I never had to replace a light bulb and she drove dead straight. I never had an alignment and never had abnormal tire wear.
Despite shifting at 5000rpm and spending time at 6000+ rpm daily, she didn't burn a single drop of oil either, even that time I spent a good 10 minutes at 5000rpm, traction control off, in snow mode, plowing through snow so deep I couldn't open my doors.

Towards the end, everything in the interior rattled. The steering was loose. The ACD pump went once. The suspension, shocks, bushings, completely shot. The radio couldn't get AM anymore. The catalytic converter almost corroded off, I had to grab a sheet of stainless and clamp and bolt the thing back on. Muffler was rusting away. The dual clutch transmission was clunking (a lot more than usual) with every 2-1 down shift. It would slip unless I had it in sport mode. Sometimes it would slip, disengage, and re-engage with a loud bang. The engine mounts were worn. I had to replace the OEM oil pan that rusted away and started leaking. The steering wheel almost felt disconnected from the tires if I hit rough pavement while turning. One of the rear brake calipers was completely seized up. The thermostat barely worked, it was either blowing hot or ice cold air. I suspect a bearing was starting to go because the engine would have the worst groaning noise at 2000rpm if I give it too much throttle. The exhaust header had a leak, I could smell exhaust in the cabinet on a cold start. Crusing at 90mph was almost unbearable because of the noise.

But she never left me stranded.

My new ride is down on HP (174 vs. 237), way down on torque (162 vs. 253), wrong wheel drive, but it's a lot lighter, a lot roomier, a lot quieter, more refined, and much better on gas. At 85mph, I averaged 38mpg vs 23mpg, on 87 octane. Stock vs. stock, there's less than a second difference rolling from 5-60mph so I'm happy. Plus it's less of a cop magnet. And I get a sunroof.

I will miss having to use opposite lock, carving out doughnuts in fresh snow, high beaming SUV's out of the way in blizzards and leaving them in my wake. I will miss people waving at me, flashing their lights when we cross paths.

So good bye old friend, I'll miss you but I'll never forget you...
Attached Thumbnails Saying good bye...-img_20150124_063858772_hdr.jpg   Saying good bye...-imag1638.jpg  
Old May 30, 2017, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember on an old Top Gear episode, during which Richard Hammond stated that cars are like family and there are a lot of memories attached to them.

Good luck to you and hopefully you will have many fond memories with your new ride.
Old May 30, 2017, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Those 1.5T are pretty good for being a small motor. With a 93oct Hondata tune you get a mid to low 14s pocket rocket.
The MPGs is where their shine.
Old May 31, 2017, 03:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I got both of those in my driveway, wife drives the civic but its a nice car.
Old May 31, 2017, 04:25 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Damn good read. Sounds like the car served you well. Best of luck with the new one. Coworker has the same one (color to). I dig it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a great read. Was the car tuned or bog stock? Any transmission problems while you had it?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 01:41 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I'm enjoying the civic a LOT. It feels like more than 174hp. I read on motor trend that the 1.5t actually dyno'ed at something like 180hp at the wheels and like 190ft-lb. It is pretty good for something that weighs 500 lbs less than the RA.
In mixed driving, I've been averaging around 32mpg on regular where the RA used to get 18-19 on premium. Cruising at 75mph, I'm averaging around 39-40mpg vs. 23-24mpg. At 85mph, the engine is at 2600rpm. It's unbelievably quiet and efficient.

My RA was bone stock, nothing done to it. I had a 100k bumper to bumper warranty plus there weren't many places you could take full advantage of the car either. Most people who mod the car are doing it to show off for less than 10 seconds at most. I was in it for the long haul. In the end, the engine and transmission performed beautifully for the amount of abuse in it. I had 0 transmission problems. It was clunky and it started to slip a little bit in 1st gear normal mode in the end but that was it.
Its such a nice car I got one for my wife too.
Attached Thumbnails Saying good bye...-imag1644.jpg