Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looking to upgrade to a high flow cat.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to upgrade to a high flow cat.

I wanted to get a high flow cat to complete me tbe so I can use the base maps tune for it. I didn't want to go the test pipe route because I need it to pass PA inspection. I found this but I was a little scriptural because of the low price of it compared to other high flow cats. It seemed more like a test pipe. Can anyone confirm that it will pass inspection. http://www.importimageracing.com/tur...EaAjf9EALw_wcB
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
That clearly looks aftermarket.
In california its a visual inspection and it would fail.

Why dont you take your stock cat and knock out the catalyst material?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
It won't pass the visual unless you cut off your oem cat heat shielding and tack weld it on both sides of the catalytic portion. You will also want to look for a non-polished finished hfc. You want it to oxidize over time so that it blends in to the rest of the undercarriage and looks like ****. That's what the state refs and smog visual inspectors look for. They like rusted **** parts. This has been my experience.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
That clearly looks aftermarket.
In california its a visual inspection and it would fail.

Why dont you take your stock cat and knock out the catalyst material?
Originally Posted by Pal215
It won't pass the visual unless you cut off your oem cat heat shielding and tack weld it on both sides of the catalytic portion. You will also want to look for a non-polished finished hfc. You want it to oxidize over time so that it blends in to the rest of the undercarriage and looks like ****. That's what the state refs and smog visual inspectors look for. They like rusted **** parts. This has been my experience.
so would it make a difference if I went with the more expensive AMS or Cobb tuning ones. They seem to look basically the same. I'd prefer to keep it as legitate as possible so if I had to buy one of the more pricey ones that's fine. I'm just looking for the cheapest way without having to make shift things.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Maggio
I wanted to get a high flow cat to complete me tbe so I can use the base maps tune for it. I didn't want to go the test pipe route because I need it to pass PA inspection. I found this but I was a little scriptural because of the low price of it compared to other high flow cats. It seemed more like a test pipe. Can anyone confirm that it will pass inspection. http://www.importimageracing.com/tur...EaAjf9EALw_wcB
I can tell you it's a 200 cell HFC, and that's a really low price. Here's the link to the same product on the Manufacturer's website, but the price is higher(although they might price-match if you called them).
http://turboxs.com/shop/product.php?id_product=179
Old Jul 27, 2017, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
I have a HFC that I passed Cali smog with flying colors, Look pretty inconspicuous if you ask me, let me know I may sell it
Old Jul 28, 2017, 04:48 PM
c08

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm pretty sure PA emissions testing varies by county or region, so you'll have to check for your area. This might help (though I'm not sure if it is outdated): http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/...q_customer.pdf

I've never had issues running a high flow cat with my other car but I think they only do OBD-II and gas cap tests around here. I think they do visual inspection on all cars in some areas, and only on older cars in others.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 05:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re the gutting out stock cat - what's people's experience with this, do I need to get a second 02 sensor spacer or am I better off to disable it in tactrix (I noticed a disable second 02 setting in there)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you gut the cat you will either need to space out the o2 sensor or as you said using openecu. However it's not just a one click type of thing. There are some pretty good how to out there, but you will need to have a rom established to be able to do this type of stuff. The GST base maps have these options setup so you can work with them.