Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ralliart Sportback & Evo X backbox query. UK.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralliart Sportback & Evo X backbox query. UK.

Hello again from this side of the pond.
Difficult to get a definitive answer here in the UK so perhaps someone over on your side may be able to help ?
Car is 2011 Lancer Ralliart Sportback 2011 UK/EU model.
All the questions refer to oem part and fitment..NOT an aftermarket manufacturer.
I have been offered an Evo X 2010 exhaust backbox (standard double pipe exit) to replace the standard double pipe backbox on the Sportback. Just the backbox section, nothing else involved.
People keep telling me it won't fit but NO ONE can tell me exactly why not.
So, could someone please explain to me what I need to have done to make the X rearbox fit the Sportback. From pictures they look pretty much identical.
Yes, I have googled away and used search on this forum but so many different opinions ! If there is a definitive answer for the oem part then it would be good to know.

Many thanks.
Brian.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:18 PM
c08

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you talking about catback? If so, here is an explanation why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksfut1tdP1o#t=3m

Edit: I don't know whether the axleback itself is different or not but the section before it definitely is. I just tried to look at part numbers on some of the part sites and get conflicting info as far as whether they are the same.

Edit 2: Some searching around here seems to indicate axlebacks are the same: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ml#post8665799

Last edited by c08; Aug 30, 2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:41 PM

Many thanks for the link.
I am not after the whole cat back (car has a decat pipe) but just replacing the rear exhaust box, what MRT call the muffler ! Nothing else. The rearbox-muffler- looks identical so straight swop but have to make up so new hangers. The image is the Evo X backbox but I can't find one for the Ralliart Sportback
Cheers
Brian.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Brian L; Aug 30, 2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: extra, silly spellchecker !
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Is yours bad? I ask - because the EVO X won't give any gains (if that was goal).

If you just want more performance - I had an exhaust shop open it up and cut out the tube inside. Just solder the case back up. Sounds a wee bit meaner - yields maybe a few HP at best... Good luck!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Is yours bad? I ask - because the EVO X won't give any gains (if that was goal).

If you just want more performance - I had an exhaust shop open it up and cut out the tube inside. Just solder the case back up. Sounds a wee bit meaner - yields maybe a few HP at best... Good luck!
Hi Veronica, Yes, a patch by the rim won't last too much longer so looking for a replacement.
Cheers
Brian.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had both side by side - they do not directly interchange, the evo x muffler inlet curves one way, ralliart the other.

Nothing a very quick cut and weld wouldn't fix as it's the same flange and mounting points - they are identical other than the inlet pipe angle

I also have the midpipe sitting here which is identical in diameter but obviously has a slight difference in the rear most bend under the diff/axle

I ended up using my ralliart muffler delete and just use the flanges and tips - kept the evo x one and midpipe in case I want to shut the thing up again (it's pretty vocal with that and a test pipe, pops good lames tho)
The following users liked this post:
Brian L (Sep 5, 2017)
Old Sep 5, 2017, 02:40 PM

Thanks for that Mark. I can deal with a bit of cut and weld !
Cheers
Brian.