Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AWC/ACD Pump Relocated to Trunk

Old Jan 9, 2018, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWC/ACD Pump Relocated to Trunk

I have a 2011 Ralliart, and I'm about to be going on my 3rd AWC pump next week (replaced by the dealer by the warranty).

Has anyone relocated their AWC pump to the trunk? I found a good kit online, however I was concerned whether there would be overheating/ventillation issues with it.

Anyone have any advice as to whether it's worth doing? I've had my car for 7 years, which means the pump is only covered for 3 more years, and it's well known it will fail again with it being located under the car.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
No reported problems that I know of with relocating it to the trunk. I don't think it works hard enough to really worry that much. It only does work when you are turning to release the center diff I believe. could be wrong on that though.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:28 AM
c08

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I haven't heard of any issues although I haven't looked into it much. It seems to be the only real way to prevent failures though. The only downsides I can think of are losing the warranty and the little bit of space it takes. The space doesn't seem like much though and you hopefully won't need the warranty after relocating.

If you end up relocating it let us know how it goes. I'll probably look into it down the road, but for now I have lots of the 10 yr warranty left (though whenever I start modding who knows if they'll cover it). I also have a Sportback so I'm not sure how relocating would go. For now I put a guard under the pump, but it doesn't entirely protect it so I'm sure I'll be replacing it again at some point (I'm on my second pump and it already has some corrosion it looks like).
Old Jan 12, 2018, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sport or Sedan it shouldn't really matter, you just need 2 longer lines and 2 drilled holes to locate in the trunk, it seems like most people are able to tuck into that pocket with the trap door to the right of the trunk. worse case scenario for the sedans may be that its actually up in the trunk level and you'll need to put a cover in there to hide it.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by c08
I haven't heard of any issues although I haven't looked into it much. It seems to be the only real way to prevent failures though. The only downsides I can think of are losing the warranty and the little bit of space it takes. The space doesn't seem like much though and you hopefully won't need the warranty after relocating.

If you end up relocating it let us know how it goes. I'll probably look into it down the road, but for now I have lots of the 10 yr warranty left (though whenever I start modding who knows if they'll cover it). I also have a Sportback so I'm not sure how relocating would go. For now I put a guard under the pump, but it doesn't entirely protect it so I'm sure I'll be replacing it again at some point (I'm on my second pump and it already has some corrosion it looks like).
Yes, will let you guys know how it goes. Seeing as I've had the car for 7 years now, my extended AWC pump warranty is only good for another 3 years. The new pump they're going to be installing may or may not last that long, so I'm not taking any chances.

I got the pump relocation kit from Driven Fabrications; all of the line fittings and brackets are custom made for the ralliart. I also found a shop in my town that has experience performing the relocation for Evos and ralliarts. I've been quoted a price of around $1000 CAD for the kit and the labour. At least I won't have to worry about that pump failing anymore...
Old Jan 12, 2018, 07:31 AM
c08

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DWILSON357
Sport or Sedan it shouldn't really matter, you just need 2 longer lines and 2 drilled holes to locate in the trunk, it seems like most people are able to tuck into that pocket with the trap door to the right of the trunk. worse case scenario for the sedans may be that its actually up in the trunk level and you'll need to put a cover in there to hide it.
Yeah my main concerns with the sportback were any noise (since it would be in the main cabin) and whether the little box/cover the kit comes with would fit properly since I don't know if the little pocket is shaped the same between the sedan and sportback. I'm sure neither of those would be major issues though.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^my concern too.
So when I replaced it with a much newer/used unit I applied RTV to seal all joints and cleaned/painted with rustoleum...

And now that I have replaced one (see my write up) I don't fear doing it again. Just the cost/difficulty of finding a new or good low-mileage used unit...
Old Jan 13, 2018, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Veronica
^my concern too.
So when I replaced it with a much newer/used unit I applied RTV to seal all joints and cleaned/painted with rustoleum...

And now that I have replaced one (see my write up) I don't fear doing it again. Just the cost/difficulty of finding a new or good low-mileage used unit...
Why didn't you let the warranty pay for a new pump?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 05:46 PM

I want to relocate mine into the trunk but I'm a student at the moment. I just rebuilt and sealed mine up and put some plastic dip on it.

I'm also going to grab one of those crazy carpets (tobogganing), hook up some nuts and bolts from the hardware store and make a pump guard. hahaha! I'll macgyver it and hope it prolongs the life of the pump.

Post some pics and progress of the relocation.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Slee256
Why didn't you let the warranty pay for a new pump?

Out of Warranty