Notices

RRM Springs.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
Well said
SAME here i have plenty of post, spring rates are important becasue if they are too soft they can bottom out... I might just wait for coilovers

exactly well said... some people are just ebay tuners... lol
Old Aug 8, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by evil03
Dropping form 1 inch to 1.8 inch on a car will not throw off the alignment unless the guy doesnt know what he is doing a takes off the control arms bolts or something.... lol....

your RA will just lower its center of gravity... and camber just a bit...

reason why i can say this is because when it time to do a suspension replacement you just replace all the stunts and in my years of working a doing suspension tuning i have yet to see a alignment thats is required by its service book for any cars...

unless you drive a lambo or some super high end car... lol

i hope that helps

This is TOTALLY wrong.

You must re-align the car after changing the ride height. Anytime you lower the car the camber and toe will be changed.

< years of suspension tuning (for racing), sponsored by suspension company and shop.

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
Well said
SAME here i have plenty of post, spring rates are important becasue if they are too soft they can bottom out... I might just wait for coilovers
I would like to see the spring rates. But a proper spring, with the proper rates with work with your struts. RRM does put in a lot of research into their products. So I lean towards proper springs here.

With struts (spring goes over the strut), you technically have a "coil-over", just not adjustable settings or height.

And coil-overs are not the immediate go do. The market is flooded with cheap coil-overs that have crappy valving, crappy construction, and crappy handling. But if you are swayed by how "cool" coil-over are to have...then have at them.

A proper coil-over will be more expensive, and really need a good setup for racing or AX (corner balance, spring rates, valving adjustments).

Here are a bunch of great threads to learn about suspensions:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ead-links.html

Last edited by Smike; Aug 8, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:33 AM

^^Well ****ing put.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Who said that someone who knows what they are talking about could post here? GET OUT!

Seriously, though. I am curious about the spring rates as well, and anyone who says that they aren't... well, I know a group of 16-18 year old "tuners" that you might want to hang out with.

For me, the spring rate has less to do with bottoming out, and more to do with ride harshness. The stock springs are pretty soft, but I don't want to upgrade to springs that would jar a person's fillings out. Unlike some people on these boards, I have no delusions: My car is a daily driver first. If I wanted to play boy racer, I would have kept my WRX and used the $5k extra I spent on the Ralliart for mods. That being said, I wouldn't mind having a car that handles extremely well.

For me, in terms of handling, I'll be getting sway bars long before I get springs. And as SmikeEvo said (implied), a good set of struts + springs are good enough. Coilovers are more than most people need or are going to take advantage of anyway.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

I do what I can.

For what its worth, I know Swift is also developing springs for the RA. No ETA though.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is TOTALLY wrong.

You must re-align the car after changing the ride height. Anytime you lower the car the camber and toe will be changed.

< years of suspension tuning (for racing), sponsored by suspension company and shop.

I would like to see the spring rates. But a proper spring, with the proper rates with work with your struts. RRM does put in a lot of research into their products. So I lean towards proper springs here.

With struts (spring goes over the strut), you technically have a "coil-over", just not adjustable settings or height.

And coil-overs are not the immediate go do. The market is flooded with cheap coil-overs that have crappy valving, crappy construction, and crappy handling. But if you are swayed by how "cool" coil-over are to have...then have at them.

A proper coil-over will be more expensive, and really need a good setup for racing or AX (corner balance, spring rates, valving adjustments).

thanks for the info
Old Aug 8, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

so dose anyone else have pictures of these springs on there cars? I know a few members have them post pics.....
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

i should be getting mine soon. i'll post when i get them on
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

sweet thanks
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

This is TOTALLY wrong.

Can any alignment shop do an alignment for the my 09RA?
Or do they have to have the specs. on an 09RA alignment?

thanks
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

You should be able to ask for your own specs. Like zero toe, zero thrust angle, camber settings. If they shop says they cannot do that - walk away, find a better one.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

You should be able to ask for your own specs. Like zero toe, zero thrust angle, camber settings. If they shop says they cannot do that - walk away, find a better one.
I am completely new to alignment specs, I have zero knowledge about it.
I dont wanna track the car, lol it's just my DD and When I put the springs on I just wanna do it the right way..

so what do you suggest?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

you do need some negative camber.

i would think there is no reason for any toe-in.

when i have mine done , i am going to request 1/2 degree negative camber..
.........with zero toe.

then , start "reading" the tires to see how they wear.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

I believe, without my 09 GTS Service Manual in front of me, you have camber bolts just like the CT9A.

So, I would run the -1 front camber bolt selection. Once lowered the true camber will be slightly more than that. In example, -1 bolt selected = -1.5 true camber (what the machine reads).

In the rear, again, without my book - I believe its a elliptical camber bolt (more room for adjustments), I would run -0.5 to -1 camber.

Zero the toe out (f and r) and zero thrust angle.

Quick Reply: RRM Springs.